Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How to create 7/7 magma with a reaction  (Read 19454 times)

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to create 7/7 magma with a reaction
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 02:18:36 pm »

cave in directly under the workshop...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 02:25:37 pm »

Awesome.  Meaning if you set up the cave in with a support, you can do it with a lever.  Will give it a shot this evening.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 03:46:07 pm »

Does not have to be remotely.

Try a work location on the left, a "block" in the center of the workshop, and a worklocation on the right. Or a worklocation outside the workshop. dimension 3x3, worklocation 2x5... should work as well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »

Try a work location on the left, a "block" in the center of the workshop, and a worklocation on the right. Or a worklocation outside the workshop. dimension 3x3, worklocation 2x5... should work as well.

Hmmm... I didn't know work locations could be outside the bounds of the workshop.  I will have to update Raw Explorer to allow this.
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 06:47:46 pm »

Hmmm... I didn't know work locations could be outside the bounds of the workshop.  I will have to update Raw Explorer to allow this.
as long as the value is positive, altho I think toady my have fixed it :-\ cause my fences got built this way

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 07:25:21 pm »

I ran some tests on a Glacier with the following reactions:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Manually deconstructing the workshop allowed to make a well, and irrigate a few squares for farming. 

Deconstructing a magma-filled workshop out on the surface of the glacier is just awesome.  Magma and flashfreezing steam everywhere.

The [3000] units of water can freeze or evaporate, even when they're sitting inside the workshop still.  (so if you create both water and magma sequentially in the same workshop, the water will evaportate).

Then I moved on to making remotely-deconstructable workshops (on a Support).  Totally works.  However when I ran the reaction 9 times I only get 1/1 coverage in the 3x3 pit. 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 07:44:00 pm »

"Sure it looks inhospitable but don't worry Urist!  The untested, highly dangerous reactions will save us!"

Hey, you guys needed more ice around here, right? 

Using a magma heater nearby we get fluid water from the reaction instead.

Functioning farm and well, filled by the reactions.  (Well, technically the well bucket freezes if they try to use it, but the cistern itself is functioning)

OK, enough terraforming, on to the traps.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 10:27:44 pm »

Three questions.

1. Can you build a 3x3 workshop over a 1tile channel, run the reaction, deconstruct, and have a 1tile full of 7 liquid in the channeled square ?

2. Cant you just spam this line   [PRODUCT:100:3000:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE] a lot, to generate more the 7/7 Magma, but enough to fill your 3x3 pit ?

3. Wouldnt magma and water spawned together not create Obsidian ? I know it depend on the order, so one test with water+magma and one magma+water should be made.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 10:36:47 pm »

Three questions.

1. Can you build a 3x3 workshop over a 1tile channel, run the reaction, deconstruct, and have a 1tile full of 7 liquid in the channeled square ?

2. Cant you just spam this line   [PRODUCT:100:3000:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE] a lot, to generate more the 7/7 Magma, but enough to fill your 3x3 pit ?

3. Wouldnt magma and water spawned together not create Obsidian ? I know it depend on the order, so one test with water+magma and one magma+water should be made.

(1) Haven't tested yet, I'll have to add the reaction to a 3x3 workshop

(2) It was spammed a pretty large number of times.  To the point that I think that the number of [3000] magmas sitting in the workshop is not the only factor.  For example, maybe a 1x1 workshop can only produce a max of a single tile 7/7 no matter how many units are inside?  i'm doing some more testing now.

(3) Nope, the water evaporates pretty quickly, leaving only magma in the workshop.  Of course you can have two next to each other and dismantle simultaneously to make an obsidianizer.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 10:40:49 pm »

Sounds good. I still wonder if you can cheat around a bit with multiple worklocations/locations outside the workshop to get them to spawn it directly as liquid, without the deconstrution. That would be a lot more handy, because you could run it on repeat.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 11:15:40 pm »

Another round of tests on the "DaVinci Magmacaster"

Here are 7 magmacaster workshops, each 1x1 square
1.  Control: one unit of [3000]
2.  Stack of Ten [3000]'s created in ten reactions
3.  Stack of Ten [3000]'s created in one reaction
4.  One unit of [30,000]
5.  One unit of [30,000] (bigger pit)
6.  Ten [3000]'s (bigger pit)
7.  Nine workshops, each with one unit of [3000]

All but test cell #7 produced less than 7/7 of magma.  Test cell 7 produced about 56 units.  So, I guess there is something about the size of the workshop coming in to play.  A next question is whether a bigger workshop can produce more than a one-tile workshop.

You might wonder why two of the cells say "less than 7" rather than an exact number.  Well, that's because magma workshop cave ins also punch through the roof of your farms if you aren't careful.  Don't worry, it was only the control experiment ;)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 12:50:54 am by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 10:00:52 am »

Looks good. :)

I wonder if you can just produce the water/magma into a custom container, and then dump the content into a pit. Again, I should just do the testing myself, instead of pestering you with it, but I am sitting in a Restaurant with Wifi ^^

But all in all this looks amazing and should enable interesting magma designs. :)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 11:35:40 am »

Hmm, yeah you might have to jump in at some point, your ideas are a little more creative than I know how to implement :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 11:54:02 am »

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MAGMA_BARREL]
[NAME:magma barrel:magma barrels]
[VALUE:50]
[METAL_MAT]
[TILE:254]
[SIZE:40000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:6]
[CONTAINER_CAPACITY:500000]

[REACTION:GET_FREE_STUFF]
   [NAME:Magma Barrel]
   [BUILDING:DEPLOY:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:15:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MAGMA_BARREL:INORGANIC:STEEL]
   [SKILL:ALCHEMY]

[REACTION:FLUIDCASTER_LAVA]
   [BUILDING:DEPLOY:NONE]
   [NAME:Magma in Barrel]
   [REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MAGMA_BARREL:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
   [PRODUCT:100:3000:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:A]
   [SKILL:ALCHEMY]

There you go. Hopefully you get a container full of magma. Then just make a dump-zone over a pit, and dump the content of the container into it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 12:01:41 pm »

How do you say "Awesome!" in Dwarvish?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4