Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How to create 7/7 magma with a reaction  (Read 19441 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: How to create 7/7 magma with a reaction
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 12:03:03 pm »

"Dead elf" ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 12:57:21 pm »

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MAGMA_BARREL]
[NAME:magma barrel:magma barrels]
[VALUE:50]
[METAL_MAT]
[TILE:254]
[SIZE:40000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:6]
[CONTAINER_CAPACITY:500000]

[REACTION:GET_FREE_STUFF]
   [NAME:Magma Barrel]
   [BUILDING:DEPLOY:NONE]
   [PRODUCT:100:15:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MAGMA_BARREL:INORGANIC:STEEL]
   [SKILL:ALCHEMY]

[REACTION:FLUIDCASTER_LAVA]
   [BUILDING:DEPLOY:NONE]
   [NAME:Magma in Barrel]
   [REAGENT:A:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MAGMA_BARREL:NONE:NONE][EMPTY][PRESERVE_REAGENT]
   [PRODUCT:100:3000:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:A]
   [SKILL:ALCHEMY]

There you go. Hopefully you get a container full of magma. Then just make a dump-zone over a pit, and dump the content of the container into it.

Pardon me if this is a silly question, but why not just use a mine cart in the fill reaction and then just set that cart on some tracks and have it dump normally at a stop?
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 01:01:09 pm »

@arzzult:  I was just thinking of that too.  I don't use minecarts enough to be know:  How do you make sure that the magma-filled cart is the one that gets placed on the track?  On the flip side, can you make sure that the dwarves don't try to put other cargo in it while there's still magma?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 01:20:12 pm »

@arzzult:  I was just thinking of that too.  I don't use minecarts enough to be know:  How do you make sure that the magma-filled cart is the one that gets placed on the track?  On the flip side, can you make sure that the dwarves don't try to put other cargo in it while there's still magma?
Assign the magma-filled minecart to the hauling route and don't tell it to take from any stockpiles? A better question is how to only get magma-safe minecarts on to the track.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 04:53:58 pm »

[ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_MAGMA_BARREL]
[NAME:magma barrel:magma barrels]
[VALUE:50]
[METAL_MAT]
[TILE:254]
[SIZE:40000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:6]
[CONTAINER_CAPACITY:500000]

Any idea if the [CONTAINER_CAPACITY:500000] is in the same units as the [3000] units of magma?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 05:08:30 pm »

Assign the magma-filled minecart to the hauling route and don't tell it to take from any stockpiles? A better question is how to only get magma-safe minecarts on to the track.

Indeed.  An even BETTERER question is why don't i try filling Meph's Bladed Minecarts with magma.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 07:40:30 pm »

No, the question was: Does it work ? ^^ Can you move it around in casks/barrels or minecarts and dump a 7/7 tile of liquid ? Because the normal buckets with water only do a 1/7 tile of liquid.

Anyway, for modding/fortress purpose I propose two reactions:
First reaction needs a reagent, something magical or alchemy related. "Create magma"
Second reaction needs only the container, and happens in a magma workshop. "Fill with magma"
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 07:47:40 pm »

Well, buckets don't hold 3,000 units of water, now do they?

The reagent for "Create Magma" could be normal stone plus some kind of firey plant extract, perhaps called something like Flameblossom. The flameblossom could be brewed into firewhiskey, or woven into flamepetal cloth. All materials of the plant would be pleasantly warm, except the extract (Essence of Fire?), which would be hot.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2012, 12:21:50 am »

Meph, my Burning Man isn't working properly, your 'wicker' is Magma proof  :o

Todays findings.

* I had no luck filling casks or minecarts.  Someone with more experience should double check though.  I'll post my reaction raws etc. below.

* Dropping a cave in on the magma-filled workshop can produce lots of fluid (assuming you filled it with multiple stacks of [3000])
* Dismantling the workshop can produce lots of fluid
* Dropping the workshop itself never seems to produce more than one 7/7 square of fluid, no matter how full it was

* Cramming the shop full of magma doesn't let you create an infinite source, rather, the size of the workshop seems to set some kind of upper bound on the maximum possible fluid production.  Based on preliminary test I think that the fluid can only fill the space of the workshop plus one ring around it.  I.E. if the workshop is NxM I think the most it can produce is (N+2)x(M+2) 7/7 squares of fluid.

* Since some of the fluid seems to appear in the ring outside the workshop, it seems to be that small workshops are better for filling very confined spaces.  You don't want the workshop touching the walls.

[edit]
* Oh, someone asked about placing the 3x3 workshop over a channel to fill below.  I couldn't get that to work, i wasn't allowed to build the workshop over the channel.  Maybe a trick that I'm missing.

my components for these tests. 
for vanilla, you'll have to delete dependencies on Masterwork runes and wicker, sorry for that

container items

workshops

reactions

entity
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:46:42 am by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2012, 03:50:56 am »

I can add 1 water to a cask, but Dwarves don't respond to an order to dump it.
I can add 7 water to a bucket (or any other container it seems).
I can add 7 magma to a bucket.  That burned the base down.  It was a wooden bucket.
If I try to add 833 water to a cask (or any other), it doesn't work; stacks up in the workshop instead.*
If I try to add 3000 water to a cask (or any other), it doesn't work; stacks up in the workshop instead.

7 magma in a bucket or cask, seems useless, I can't get them to dump it.
I can add 7 magma to a minecart.  When it hits a dump stop, the fluid just seems to disappear.

OK, that might be the end of my usefulness for scienceing this.  Thanks Urist DaVinci, this was fun :)

* Maybe similar the issue with custom brewery reactions?

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 05:03:01 am by smakemupagus »

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2012, 06:45:45 am »

"This is a thread of Urist Da Vinci.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  Urist Da Vinci is surrounded by modders.  This thread relates to the discovery of a new dimension of !!FUN!! by Urist da Vinci.  It menaces with spikes of ingenuity and entertainment."

Seriously, this is amazing, and I'm going to have to come back daily and watch the progress as it develops.  Likely while eating something that's been overcooked and still a bit too hot for comfort, so as to add to the experience.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 07:52:54 am »

@malecus: Love the avatar.

@smake: Awesome science. :)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 11:04:54 pm »

magma tramcarts! :)

The particular number of [CONTAINER_CAPACITY:6000000] comes from a combination of guessing and the "Weight" wiki page linked by Quietust in the "Help with some reactions" thread.  I only testing transporting one [3000] of magma per cart, but If I understand the minecart route interface correctly, [3000] urists of magma is displaying as taking up 30% of the 6,000,000 cart capacity.  So in principle one could transport up to three [3000]s in such a cart.

items

reactions

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:23:16 pm by smakemupagus »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2012, 09:04:42 pm »

Any idea if the [CONTAINER_CAPACITY:500000] is in the same units as the [3000] units of magma?
They're related - all items have a "volume" which is used to determine their weight as well as how much space they take up inside containers (prior to 0.34.06 or so, "volume" and "bulk" were two distinct values), and CONTAINER_CAPACITY is internally divided by 10 (along with most other size values in the raws) to determine its actual capacity. As smakemupagus noted, this is all described on the "Weight" page on the wiki.

LIQUID_MISC objects have a volume of 60, which means a minecart (having an effective capacity of 50000) can hold no more than [833] units.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:06:41 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2012, 05:09:25 pm »

This will be very useful!  I'm already thinking of some creatures that could use this ability.

Lava sponge?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4