Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: You Are Bring Rope, Retconjurer (formerly You Are Not Rincewind). Day 4.  (Read 12939 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile

Tried this on another forum; had a lot of fun with it. The plot part will start as soon as the Hero is chosen.

Yes, this is a Choose Your Own MisAdventure. FUN will happen!

Races, Perks, and Disadvantages

1. Human: You're a human, but not just any human - you have always been extremely strong of will. When Adventure knocked next door, you went outside and "convinced" Adventure that he had "gotten the wrong address". You chose an extra skill at the beginning. You have the supernatural ability Heroic Willpower (Any roll of 18 or higher counts as a natural 20.) The majority of the NPC's are human, so regardless of your charisma, a first encounter with most stranger NPC's will start at "willing to be friendly".

Weaknesses: You're not immune to anything, you don't have any natural racial talents, and you are squishy unless you're wearing some form of armor.

2. Blood Elf: You are a dark and thorny-skinned elf/plant symbiotic being. Your skin is covered in tough, natural thorns; as a result, you are constantly bleeding and appear to have anime-esque amounts of blood. Your unique nature and age has given you time to develop your inherent talents for blood magic and earth elementalism, automatically starting you as an Adept of both schools of magic. As long as you spend at least eight hours in partial to full sun, you are not required to eat or sleep.

Weaknesses: -5 Charisma; you are restricted to two additional skills instead of five; all other forms of magic require twice the skill to use; if you don't get enough sunlight, you need to eat twice as often and require ten hours of sleep to get a full night's sleep.

3. Sidhe: You're a humanoid fey. You are resistant to normal weaponry (3 damage soak), any magical skills you purchase advance you two levels instead of one, your magical stat is given a +3, and you are automatically an Adept at glamour magic (illusions and charms). Also, you get a better pick of starting gear.

Weaknesses: As an immortal underling, you have been following orders most of your life. As a result of this, your intelligence has never been developed, giving you a -4 to Intelligence. You are incapable of telling a lie, your magical abilities can be disrupted by a handful of salt, physical skills cost 1.5x the points, and you take double damage from iron weaponry. You are restricted to four additional skills.

4. Fire Giant: You're a seven to twenty foot tall thick-skinned giant with fire for hair and eyebrows. You are naturally stronger than other races (+4 Physical Ability), are immune to heat-based attacks (not cold-based!), and possess the ability to Set Anything On Fire, Even If It's Physically Impossible To Light On Fire. You are automatically an Adept at Fire Elementalism, and you can carry five more items.

Weaknesses: You're a seven to twenty foot tall thick-skinned giant with fire for hair and eyebrows, born in a culture of violence and barbarism, in a world mostly populated by one to six foot people who build their homes out of flammable materials, have "laws", and make a funny sound when they go "squish."  -3 Charisma and Intelligence, and all the problems that naturally go along with being way too tall and way too much of a fire hazard.

5. Drall: Imagine a cross between a wyvern and a human. You are somehow capable of flying, resistant to both physical and magical damage (2 physical soak and 1 magical soak), possess very sharp claws, a tail, and a lightning-based breath attack, and have a greater physical endurance than other races (+3).

Weaknesses: You can't wear (most) armor, don't have any inherent magic (read: if you have magic, that is ALL you have), and are required to eat three times as often. Making physics weep takes a lot of calories.

The Stats

Physical Ability - Your ability to do physical things. This is both Dexterity and Strength, essentially. Your total inventory space is five plus half of your strength, rounded down.

Physical Endurance - Your ability to keep doing physical things. Constitution, Endurance, what-have-you. Your health is five plus half of this score, rounded up.

Charisma - Your ability to relate to people. This actually will be a useful stat, I swear.

Intelligence - How smart you are. A high level in this makes you Genre Savvy, and if it isn't high enough, I reserve the right to shoot down brilliant ideas or limit your character choices if you don't have time to react.

Magic - How powerful you are and how much magic you have. Your spells per day is equivalent to half of your Magic score, rounded up, and it also affects how powerful it is on a SEEKRIT DM SCALE.

Roll(7d20)+0:
14,17,16,17,1,5,3,+0
Total:73

Roll(3d20)+0:
20,15,9,+0
Total:44

Assign 20, 17, 17, 16, and 15 as you please.

The Skills

Pick six, unless the race prevents it. You can choose fewer skills and advance higher in a skill if you prefer, and there are thirteen levels for each skill. The skill levels are akin to Dwarf Fort, only with "Competent" as the minimum level.

Violence Skills
Unarmed Combat
[Melee Weapon] Combat
[Ranged Weapon] Combat
Dodge

Social Skills
Diplomacy
Haggling
Intimidation
Making Shit Up

Profession Skills
Stealing
Healing
[Whatever]Crafting (brewcrafting, foodcrafting, metalcrafting, whatever)
[Whatever]Harvesting (mining, farming, hunting, whatever)

Magic Skills
[Elemental] Magic (This is anything-goes element: air, darkness, whatever)
[Abstraction] Magic (Anything that cannot be considered an element, like "fluffy kitten magic", "the power of rock'n'roll", "blood magic", "illusion magic" or whatever)
Mind Magic (think psychic powers)
Anti-Magic

Plot Skills
Detect Plot Element
Sheer Dumb Luck
I've Got A Bad Feeling About This
Rule of Cool (as in, the more awesome an idea is, the more likely your character can do it)

Starting Items

Pick 'till you're full! Each individual item is one slot.

Melee Weapon
Ranged Weapon
30 Units Of Ranged Weapon Ammo
3x A Blue Healing Potion [4 HP]
5x A Meal
Leather Armor (1 soak)
A Really Nice Hat (+1 Charisma)
A Rope
2x 1d20 Gold
A Lockpick Set
A Compass
2x A Torch
A Big Blue Gemstone
A Set Of Tools

Human Only:
Your Great-Grandfather's Rusty Old Broken Sword
1x Ceremonial Pair of Bull Testicles

Sidhe Only:
Castle-Forged Melee Weapon
Castle-Forged Ranged Weapon
40 Units Of Ranged Weapon Ammo
1x A Vibrant Blue Healing Potion [8 HP]
1x A Clear Potion of Desire
1x Family Magical Item
2x 1d100 Gold

Choose away, my friends!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 05:08:27 pm by Ross Vernal »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: A CYOMA: You Are A Fantasy Hero (Of Sorts)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:41:00 pm »

I say we go with a Rincewind build.

A wizard that can run fast, talk fast, and has a really stupid amount of luck.

So high endurance, charisma, and intelligent, with a good amount of magic and small physical strength.

Physical Endurance: 20
Charisma/Intel: 17
Magic 16
Physical ability 15

Human

Sheer Dumb Luck
Plot Magic
Diplomacy
Making shit up
Dodge
Detect plot element
I've got a bad feeling about this.

Nice hat definitely
Some gold
Melee Weapon: A Half Brick in a sock. (Too literal of a build? Nah.)
The healing potions
The armor I suppose
And some rope I guess? I dunno how much we're allowed to take.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:43:58 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:43:54 pm »

If the Physical Ability is 20, then 15 items. It it is 15, then 12 items. Sorry, I should have explained it better!

Also, no length is specified to the rope. It is a Rope Of Exactly What Length The Plot Requires. :D

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:44:42 pm »

Oh, then just take goddamn everything then.

Except the ranged weapon+ammo. We're wizards we don't ranged with no crossbow.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:46:28 pm by dermonster »
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:47:58 pm »

I say we go with a Rincewind build.

A wizard that can run fast, talk fast, and has a really stupid amount of luck.

So high endurance, charisma, and intelligent, with a good amount of magic and small physical strength.

Physical Endurance: 20
Charisma/Intel: 17
Magic 16
Physical ability 15

Human

Sheer Dumb Luck
Plot Magic
Diplomacy
Making shit up
Rule of Cool
Detect plot element
I've got a bad feeling about this.

Nice hat definitely
Some gold
Melee Weapon: A Half Brick in a sock. (Too literal of a build? Nah.)
The healing potions
The armor I suppose
And some rope I guess? I dunno how much we're allowed to take.
Just because rule of cool would allow us to get out of tight situations.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 05:52:12 pm »

Yes, but it would be better to have something that's useful pretty consistently than just in specific situations.

Plus, you know, Rincewind. Pretty much required to be played as a genre savvy coward

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:59:03 pm »

To be fair, when I read Rule of Cool + Plot Magic, I get the idea of  "When the plot calls for it, you can magically do something really cool, only you have no idea what it is you are actually doing."

All choices are good choices. When a plurality is reached (4-5 people, I think?) the character will be generated. :D

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »

Yes, but it would be better to have something that's useful pretty consistently than just in specific situations.

Plus, you know, Rincewind. Pretty much required to be played as a genre savvy coward
I don't know the character, just throwing in mah two cents. I got myself an idea for a character though.

Just a generic charming rogue. Not expecting much.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 08:18:30 pm »

two things
1) do things like 5x meals take up 1 slot or 5? i couldn't help noticing that even my mediocre strength still lets me carry most of the starting stuff
2) in order to clarify the intent behind this build, i request that my nice hat look like http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20081110  this

intel 20
char/magic:17
strength:16
endurance:15

human

intimidation
rule of cool
metalcrafting
ranged weapon: crossbow
metal magic
melee weapon:mace

melee weapon(mace)
ranged weapon(crossbow)
30 bolts
a set of tools
a really nice hat
5x a meal
3x a blue potion
a compass
2x 1d20 gold
a big blue gemstone
leather armor
2x a torch
a rope

EDIT- link to webcomic fixed
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:00:30 pm by racnor »
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:50:46 pm »

Quote from: racnor
two things
1) do things like 5x meals take up 1 slot or 5? i couldn't help noticing that even my mediocre strength still lets me carry most of the starting stuff
2) in order to clarify the intent behind this build, i request that my nice hat look like http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20081110 this

Last game was one slot each, but I think stacking is a better idea. So, stacks.  There will be an arbitrary stack limit depending on the object, as I don't want us to have 31x A Meal on hand, and it would be ridiculous to have x8 A Sword.  You know, suspension of disbelief and such.

Also, that is exactly the kind of hat I had in mind. :D

intel 20
char/magic:17
strength:16
endurance:15

human

intimidation
rule of cool
metalcrafting
ranged weapon: crossbow
metal magic
melee weapon:mace

melee weapon(mace)
ranged weapon(crossbow)
30 bolts
a set of tools
a really nice hat
5x a meal
3x a blue potion
a compass
2x 1d20 gold
a big blue gemstone
leather armor
2x a torch
a rope

I suppose everyone can get two votes, so as to allow for submission and selection.

2 for Totally Not Rincewind (and 3 votes for Rule of Cool overall, versus 1 overall for Dodge), 1 for A Charming Thief, 1 for Iron Man.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:19:44 pm by Ross Vernal »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 08:52:05 pm »

That link leads to nothing.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 08:53:39 pm »

Add a slash between com and comic, or clicky the quote link.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 08:57:25 pm »

Nope. I immediately go to This weird place.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 09:01:45 pm »

sorry, i fail at hyperlinks. should work now.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:16 pm »

That is one hell of a hat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11