Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42

Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition  (Read 58637 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition
« on: May 30, 2012, 06:08:27 pm »

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/cd-projekt-red-project/1224899p1.html
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/30/cd-projekt-reds-new-sci-fi-game/

And no, I don't mean the generic genre but the actual intellectual property "Cyberpunk" that helped coin the phrase.

You may remember CDProjekt as the guys who did Witcher and Witcher 2, an RPG series with a decidedly mature feel that had only a little to do with boobies and the sex.

There's nothing else to say at the moment about it other than the project has the full support and cooperation of the original game designer Mike Pondsmith.

Cyberpunk was like the 2nd or 3rd table top roleplaying game I ever got into, and man, it was not for little kids. It sported some really grimdark things, particularly a few cybernetic upgrades I remember. (Like the equivalent of a motorized snake that you deployed into other people's esophagus' while kissing them, which would then proceed to puree their insides.....the ultimate prostitute/sexy agent personal defense weapon.)

It's been a really long time and I'm totally out of touch with Cyberpunk, but I'm still super excited to see what CDProjekt does with this.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 11:14:56 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: CDProjekt making "Cyberpunk" video game
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 06:23:47 pm »

OH SHIT

I don't know how this will turn out, but a Cyberpunk game is a giant step in the right direction.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 06:32:37 pm »

After the Witcher series, CDProjekt is one of the few developers I would trust with an old-school cRPG game. Here's hoping it's good!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 06:34:47 pm »

Taking bets on a Kickstarter :P
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:44:15 pm »

That would be surprising, with CDProjekt being a big studio. They should easily get the needed funding with regular means.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:13:21 pm by Drakale »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:09:48 pm »

Just finished The Witcher 2 about a month ago so this is bloody great news. These guys know how to make a game. Optimism activated.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 08:41:01 pm »

I... I think i just 'sploded. Do. Want. So. Much.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 10:26:17 pm »

The developers came down into the Witcher forums for a minute to answer a few questions from the fans. It's not much of a Q&A, but hey, it's info.

As promised last week, today we’ve prepared some information about our upcoming Cyberpunk title. It’s great that you have so many questions about the game and we hope that we can satisfy at least some of your hunger for knowledge about the title that’s currently being in the works. With that being said, let’s get to the main dish.

Below you can find the original questions followed by answers from CD Projekt RED Community Manager, Marcin Momot.

Richie79: What elements are you using as inspiration (references) for making Cyberpunk?

Marcin Momot: There are quite a few actually. Aside from the obvious ones like the works of William Gibson or the Blade Runner movie, we also take from the first Ghost in the shell, both anime and manga. We’re also looking up to ShellShock because of its interesting approach to gameplay. The first part of Deus Ex is also a very important source of inspiration to us.

Guipit: Will choosing your class affect the story? If so, how much?

MM: It’s always been very important to us to deliver mature and ambitious entertainment. It’s not going to be any different this time around. We want to keep the role system from the pen & paper version of Cyberpunk. As opposed to the regular fantasy set-up with mages, warriors and archers, we’re going for something different. In Cyberpunk, each character role will offer a set of special skills that will impact your stats in many different ways. That’s where the challenge kicks in, we want to create a game where character customization will be strongly tied with the plot. Now going from that, we believe that we can make a game where, with many different role choices, you will get a very strong, engaging story, just like it was with The Witcher.

Mihura: Will there be full customization of our character like a D&D game, things like gender, ethnicity, moral stand point, sexuality...etc or we will be restrict to something like Geralt from TW2?

MM: We definitely want to give players way more freedom with customization of the main protagonist then they had with Geralt in The Witcher series. We are planning on letting them change their statistics, equipment, implants and much more.

Saoe: When can we expect to see more info, screenshots or first videos from the game?

MM: I keep bothering guys from the art team to release some new content soon but they don’t want to listen to me for some reason. I won’t give up though, so make sure to follow our website and social media because when I finally convince them, you will be the first ones to know.

Geralt The Riv: Will the setting be a totally new designed by CDPR(You know like name of the planet, country, state, city etc) or just a mimic of a current location?(New York, L.A. Miaimi etc.....)

MM: Cyberpunk’s story takes place all over the world, but we’re going to focus on it’s most characteristic venue - Night City. One thing is certain, we want to make a game with an open, living world that stays true to the source material.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 03:33:32 pm »

Oh, man, it's been so long since I got into a game of Cyberpunk. If they do it right, (and i'm semi-confident that they will), complete with cyberpsychosis and the like, I think this could be very awesome.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 05:13:08 pm »

Well considering that both Witcher games were somewhat awesome there are chancess that the new game will be average at the least and awesome at best.
I just can't imagine them spitting out a crap game and shatter their (somewhat young) reputation to cash in one a crap game..
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 05:25:53 pm »

Worth keeping an eye on.
Love, scriver~

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 01:03:56 am »

Holy. Fucking. Shit. The Witcher devs making Cyberpunk? I think my brain may have exploded.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CDProjekt making "Cyberpunk" video game: Cinematic Trailer out
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 07:33:26 pm »

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/cd-projekt-red-project/1227127p1.html

First trailer! Zero gameplay but it's a showing of their thematic and aesthetic choices, and it looks sweet. In describing the video however, CDProjekt alludes to elements of the game world we can expect to see. Namely, the Psycho Squad, the police task force charged with capturing, killing or recruiting people that have gone crazy due to too much hardware in their body. Better overall description in the link.

Can't wait! I think they've successfully translated the look and feel of 80s/90s Cyber Punk into the new millennium.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:08:41 pm by nenjin »

simoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Maia
Re: CDProjekt making Cyberpunk 2077: Cinematic Trailer out
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 07:41:18 pm »

I need to go into stasis until 2015. So so SO excited for this. :)
Making Maia; a space colony management sim: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=118473.0

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CDProjekt making Cyberpunk 2077: Cinematic Trailer out
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 11:07:38 am »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/18/mike-pondsmith-looks-moody-talks-cyberpunk/

4 minutes of Mike Pondsmith talking about the IP, what makes it what it is, why CDProjekt Red will do it justice and why he's super excited for it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 42