Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42

Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition  (Read 59349 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: CDProjekt making Cyberpunk 2077: Cinematic Trailer out
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 11:32:51 am »

Oh....wait, so is this based on the R. Talsorian RPG?

EDIT: Nevermind...Mike Pondsmith, so apparently that's a yes. Neat.

Now maybe they can find a studio to gin up a Mekton Zeta game.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:37:10 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 12:07:33 pm »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/18/mike-pondsmith-looks-moody-talks-cyberpunk/

4 minutes of Mike Pondsmith talking about the IP, what makes it what it is, why CDProjekt Red will do it justice and why he's super excited for it.
I remember seeing a guy super exited about making X-Com, did he do justice to the franchise? BARELY
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 05:18:50 pm »

Hyperbump. There has been some news recently in regards to the game.

Cyberpunk “Bigger Than Anything CD Projekt Has Done”

And, surprised nobody posted this, but there was a hidden message in the original teaser.
Spoiler: Message (click to show/hide)
Plaintext version.
Do you like our latest creation? We certainly hope so :) Yo may remember that we sometimes send you guys secret messages like this. It's a great way for us to speak right to you instead of burying ourselves in corporate mumbo-jumbo so let's begin!

First of all - have you noticed all the details in our teaser (yes, it's a teaser. We'll make a proper trailer in the future)? If you know the Cyberpunk setting there are some things you can spot, like implants - look for the weapon hands and the real skin - corporate emblems that should look familiar and more. Happy hunting!

You're probably curious about the release date. It's currently scheduled a way off in 2015 but in truth the delivery date is more like "when it's done". We will release Cyberpunk to you when we're convinced it is nothing but pure, refined, unadulterated awesome. We want it to be the most kick ass futuristic RPG ever - OK, maybe this sounds pretty bully, but it is our actual goal! You judge if we deliver it!

Oh - and you may wonder why we announced our game so early before the release. The reason is that we're still building our dev team so if you are a talented dude or dudette willing to work in a really different company (gamers rule & boring corporate stuff drools!) on a super ambitious project, send us your application right now! careers@cdprojektred.com[4]

So you want to know what kind of game Cyberpunk 2077 will be? The short description is that it will be a story-heavy, nonlinear, open world RPG based on the well known Cyberpunk pen&paper system and setting. Building open world games is something we are mastering right now and we believe that properly joining nonlinear gameplay with an excellent story telling will bring a totally new quality. Mmm... We'll tell some more about it soon!

And that's not all that's new. We are about the reveal our other project which is much closer to being completed and yes, it will also be a fully open-world game with an intense story. You can probably guess the game we're talking about :-) On the 5th of February it will all be clear.

So stay tuned as we will have quite a lot to show and tell you soon!

We are waiting for you on our newly created forum called Afterlife - what other name could we have chosen for it?

CD Projekt RED Team

Now to go watch the teaser again...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 05:48:05 pm »

*that feel you get when a thread you'd forgotten you'd made years ago returns with relevant info*
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 04:37:29 am »

Come thread, it is not time to die just yet. Rise once more, and serve the purpose for which you were made.

So, Cyberpunk 2077 got a new cinematic trailer at E3, and it's fuckin' gloss.

Now, legit William Gibson apparently looked at the trailer and was conservative in his twitter appraisal. Which is totally understandable. The trailers we have so far are eye candy. One is fully cinematic, ancient as hell, and gives us very little to work with. The other is modern, frenetic, has a bit of a twitch, and is clearly trying to press the action side of things. However, it's basically impossible to convey the tone and grit of neuromancer's kin in a minute-forty trailer.

Which is why the reviews coming in from people who got see the 50 minute gameplay reveal are so damn wonderful.

"I noticed multiple instances in which the demo's handler did the "press A to skip dialogue" thing that you and I might do when we're itching to get into our favorite games' action. That's how dialogue-dense this 50-minute demo was. In my 22 years of on-and-off gaming journalism, this is the first time I've seen a games company skip its own dialogue this way, and I still came away from the demo absolutely floored by the depth and repartee afforded by all of the dialogue between various toughs." -Ars Technica

"They ask her things like if she's alone or not, and you have the choice in what you say. V says she's alone, and they believe she's lying. She is forced to the ground, and a gun is put to her head. V has the option to grab the firearm, but CD Projekt says you should really think something like this through. V instead uses dialogue choice to turn the threat around and have the corporate leader trust her. This entire scenario could play out differently or not at all."-Game Informer

"It's almost overwhelming trying to stay on top of who is who and what they want, but it also means Cyberpunk 2077 feels fleshed out and layered in a way that few RPGs ever achieve, at least based on what we've seen so far."-PC Gamer

All three of those articles are nice and long, and they all basically hit the same notes. There's a lot of action, and the action is good, but goddamn is there a lot of actually cool dialogue that somehow doesn't make us want to kill ourselves. The articles go through the combat with a box-ticking approach, but they all seem much more genuinely impressed with the atmosphere and options of the world, which bodes well in my opinion.

Anyway, I could fanboy for a while, but this post is mostly to rez the thread and hopefully get people talking again.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 09:42:04 am »

Yeah the trickle of info on this game over the years has been so minimal I wasn't bothering to add to the thread.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TBF, Gibson is not that important for Cyberpunk 2020/77. And I think they have the author of the original campaign world on board.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

TBF, Gibson is not that important for Cyberpunk 2020/77. And I think they have the author of the original campaign world on board.

I think I got Gibson and Mike Pondsmith mixed up. I was sitting here going "Man that's a pretty big FU from a contributor while they're doing their hype."

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 01:10:09 pm »

Yeah the trickle of info on this game over the years has been so minimal I wasn't bothering to add to the thread.

It's not that slow, given the schedule they have. I mean, they've got 59 years left to finish the project.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

I think I got Gibson and Mike Pondsmith mixed up. I was sitting here going "Man that's a pretty big FU from a contributor while they're doing their hype."

Yeah, Gibson is the author of Neuromancer and getting his seal of approval would basically mean that the flavor of the game is perfectly on point. Him being ambivalent towards a cinematic action trailer is more a reminder that there's more to the genre than implants, punk hair, and shooting folk. Pondsmith being on board is what makes me hope that the gameplay will be great even if everyone at Project Red suddenly has an aneurysm and forgets how to write a coherent story.

I also find it wonderful that there's a distinct chance that the game will actually release in 2020.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love Gibson's work, but his work is a lot different to what the new trailer showed, and I don't think he envisages the cyberpunk world quite like the trailer shows. For him, having basically created cyberpunk, any difference will seem garish and off.

Oddly enough, whilst Gibson may be seen as the god of cyberpunk by many, he's one of those weird ones that claims strongly they're not cyberpunk and distances himself from a lot of it even though he basically invented it. It's like Sisters of Mercy - they invented 'goth' as we know it but refuse to call themselves a goth band and would always say they were just a rock/pop band.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile

I also find it wonderful that there's a distinct chance that the game will actually release in 2020.
Oh man.  I really want this to happen now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Having now watched the trailer....

I can see why he said what he said. It's so gloss it hurts.

I enjoyed the first minute or so, I felt like it showed, albeit grotesquely, the dirty side of Cyberpunk. But it felt contextual and well done. I loved the train attendants standing over the guy who is getting de-rezzed by someone over the net. Cyber cowboy. Dude eating at a noodle stand. There's so much amazing world setting and detail. The music gave me goosebumps. That's always a good sign.

Then people started getting blown away and while some of that still felt contextual, toward the end it did just seem like violence for its own sake. Cyberpunk has to have violence of course. But maybe they overplayed HOW FUCKIN EDGY IT IS a little too much.

That said, I was hoping for actual game in pretty much any form, just to know what this thing's form factor will be. In that sense this trailer is no more useful to me than the very first one, as deliciously evocative as it is. After this long I wasn't expecting a vertical slice of gameplay. But I also didn't expect exactly zero gameplay. Some of that stuff almost looked like it came from within the game engine and had the look of vaguely cutscene-ish material. Still. Maybe this trailer is to remind people that the game is still a thing.....or it's like "alright, we have to show something even if it's not gameplay." If they've got anything to show journalists, I dunno, it would seem like the time to show the public something too.

I think the GTA shot was also a little uncalled for. It's like 12? seconds of the whole trailer. If it'd had been a guy driving down sidewalks knocking people over like bowling pins, then yeah maybe I'd get more behind a criticism like that. Maybe the fact there was actual sunshine and blue sky was too much for him. Or maybe it's that the main character is basically Niko/CJ/all the GTA criminal protagonists.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:30:48 pm by nenjin »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt: Action Trailer out, Gibson not impressed
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2018, 11:41:37 pm »

Ah nice, there's a thread for this. I haven't seen anyone mention it yet and it's pretty neat, so here's this: apparently that trailer held a hidden message in one of its frames.

It’s been over 2077 days since we announced our plan to develop Cyberpunk 2077. We released a CGI trailer, gave some interviews and… went dark. Normal procedure for these kinds of things – you announce a game and then shut up, roll up your sleeves, and go to work. We wanted to give you The Witcher 3 and both expansions first, which is why this period of staying silent was longer than we planned. Sorry for that.

As soon as we concluded work on Blood and Wine, we were able to go full speed ahead with CP2077’s pre-production. But we chose to remain silent. Why? At some point, we made a decision to resume talking about the game only when we have something to show. Something meaningful and substantial. This is because we do realise you’ve been (im)patiently waiting for a very long time, and we wouldn’t like anyone to feel that we’re taking this for granted. On the contrary – it gives us a lot of extra motivation. The hype is real, so the sweat and tears need to be real, too :).

But, to the point. Today is the day. If you’re seeing this, it means you saw the trailer – our vision of Cyberpunk, an altnerative vision of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilised life, and gangs rule the rest. And, while this world is full of adrenaline, don’t let the car chases and guns mislead you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a true single player, story-driven RPG. You’ll be able to create your own character and… well, you’ll get to know the rest from what we show at our booth at E3. Be on the lookout for previews!

Before we finish, you probably have some questions,

1. When?
When we told you we would only release the game when it’s ready, we meant it. We’re definitely much closer to a realse date than we were back then :), but it’s still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us – it’s the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.

2. How big?
Seriously big, but…, to be honest, we have no bloody clue at this point in time. Once we put it all together, we will openly tell you what you can expect. And we promise we’ll do this before we start talking about any pre-orders or ask anything of you.

3. Free DLC/Expansions/DRM?
Expect nothing less than you got with The Witcher 3. As for DRM, CP2077 will be 100% DRM-free on PC.

4. Microtransactions?
In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?

Once again, thank you for your patience. If you have a minute, do visit cyberpunk.net and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you post and we treat it very seriously.

Yours,
CD Projekt Red Team

And here's an article from RPS going over the ~50 minutes of 'gameplay' shown to press

And yes, you do get to make your own protagonist and aren't forced to play as mister generic the guy in the trailer. :P

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt: Action Trailer out, Gibson not impressed
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2018, 07:54:25 am »

Couple places are reporting now that the demo they showed off to journalists at E3 was 'pre-alpha', and seeing CP2077 in 2019 is probably unlikely, which makes me v. sad indeed.  :'(

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/06/28/cyberpunk-2077-release-date-hints/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 42