Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42

Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition  (Read 59363 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt: Action Trailer out, Gibson not impressed
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2018, 01:07:05 pm »

Don't be sad that it is far into the future, for all dates in the future will someday be the present. And in the meantime, well, you can always play other games instead. :p
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2018, 04:47:46 pm »

I have incredibly high hopes for this game and a lot of faith that the devs will meet them.

Much like Bannerlord and the new STALKER game, I'm happy to wait patiently while still being hungry for more info.  I'd rather it be excellent than released soon.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2018, 05:22:42 pm »

Couple places are reporting now that the demo they showed off to journalists at E3 was 'pre-alpha', and seeing CP2077 in 2019 is probably unlikely, which makes me v. sad indeed.  :'(

Me too, but my sad is cancelled by the fact that it will likely then release in the year that the original Cyberpunk RPG was set in, which I'm sure tickles Pondsmith to no end.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 05:44:04 pm »

Makes you wonder if they had planned a 2020 release from the beginning.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 05:55:20 pm »

Makes you wonder if they had planned a 2020 release from the beginning.

I'm sure someone in the office made that joke in 2013, when the first trailer came out. Probably garnered a decent laugh then.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 10:38:07 am »

Always tought the release year was in the name.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2018, 12:11:27 pm »

I'm 100% ok with CDPR taking as long as they want on this - if it's not released by 2022 I'm fine with it. That's not just mad CDPR fanboying - it's because I feel that this is going to be such a difficult one to get just right. I'm sure they'll have got the message that the tone of the trailer wasn't quite right for a large chunk of people - and it might colour how they go ahead with final development (make a few areas darker and grittier, reduce some super gun heavy bits etc.)
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 04:09:20 pm »

Almost an hour of scripted gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjF9GgrY9c0

First reaction: g'damn, can the walking speed be any slower?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt: Hour-long guided gameplay demo out
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 06:57:10 pm »

Watched the whole thing.

If they can pull off 3/4 of what they were showing, it will be a pretty good game.

If they pull of 100% of what they showing.....

Here's the thing though: this all reeks of scripted gameplay. The mission is probably legit. But a lot of what else I saw was clearly scripted. The voice overs use the demo characters name, for example. (Maybe that's just the default character or something.) The scav investigating the car. The attack by scavs while driving the car. The hacking system clearly looked like a mockup meant to dazzle, because there was so much shit there they just "noped" right past.

All that said, I'm excited if they deliver on some of this. Especially the combat mechanics. Bullet time comes as no surprise (even though they try to make it badass like it's not a, what, coming up on 20 year old gameplay mechanic?), but other things did. Wall running. Super man leaping. Possible? super strength. Smart guns that just shoot at visible targets. Drones. Hacking enemy networks via enemies to disable them and all sorts of other shit. Weapons penetrating cover. Terrain destruction. Data views and combat overlays. The list just goes on and on.....

Outside of combat there's a lot of promising elements too. Scanning the environment Arkham Asylum style for clues and useful information. Investigating items in your inventory to reveal all sorts of info that will likely be story and mission relevant. Skills like Hacking or Engineering and who knows what else. Driving and whatever comes out of that.

In other words I'm excited but I'm realistic. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. We've all played enough 1st/3rd person RPGs to know how promising ideas can become bland and boring in implementation. (*cough* Fallout *cough*) I've played all the Witcher games and I feel like I have a good sense of what those mechanics boiled down to. How random events and game systems have fallen flat in the past in CDProjekt Red games. I guess what I'm saying is if Cyberpunk 2077 lives up to what it just showed us, it'd be an order of magnitude more detailed, deep and well executed game than anything else I've played of their's. The Witcher 3 is good, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure I'd call it the Best RPG Ever Made as some have. If Cyberpunk 2077 really dials in all these systems they've shown instead of making them one-note flourishes to gameplay, again, it'd be better than everything else I've played by CDPR. Particularly the UI work. Holy shit, a lot of the in-game UI is stylized and visualized as part of the world. Menus, notifications, doing stuff and things. Compare that to Witcher 3's flat, boring, practical, easy UI screens. Just looking at the implied UI work in CP2077 is making me go "Uh...the whole game is going to look like that? Really? TFW you don't know whether to drool with happiness or call bullshit."

So I cautiously await the Hype Prophets and pre-release reviews, and I hope they're critically minded. The sky is pretty much the limit when it comes to expectations of a Cyberpunk game, what's possible, how dynamic it should be, and all that. And I'd really want some reviews to pay close attention to these systems and tell me if they delivered on the hype, or just sold us a glossy, neon-finished vision of the future.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 07:23:52 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 07:48:47 pm »

When i saw the video 2 thing came to mind. Finaly a shadowrun-esque game coming and second one was well i sure do hope it doesnt end up like the division/whatchamacallitopenphonehackinggameiforgotthebameof, hope machine wich let be frank most likely is.

If im wrong, well from what ive seen, map seem big enough, street seem lively, interaction seem good, love multiplechoice/reward/consequence. Now i would love to see random run/job system in as long its not half made.

I got hyped, but not enough to be omygardiwantnaoh.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 10:59:47 pm »

The voice overs use the demo characters name, for example. (Maybe that's just the default character or something.)

Voiceover always calls her "V", right? In the character creator her first and last name are "missing data", and V is an alias. I believe I heard that your character will always have that alias, which makes sense for voiceover. I imagine that they'll let you pick your character's "real" name.
This is... pretty much the solution that every voiced game with character creation uses.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2018, 08:17:34 am »

The voice overs use the demo characters name, for example. (Maybe that's just the default character or something.)

Voiceover always calls her "V", right? In the character creator her first and last name are "missing data", and V is an alias. I believe I heard that your character will always have that alias, which makes sense for voiceover. I imagine that they'll let you pick your character's "real" name.
This is... pretty much the solution that every voiced game with character creation uses.

Yeah, Egan is correct, I believe everyone will have the alias of 'V' regardless of gender/real name.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2018, 10:05:41 am »

Previously I was only slightly interested. Now I am very interested.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2018, 08:05:56 pm »

The thing with the scavengers coming back for more while you’re driving around strikes me as something that probbably will be an actual mechanic. Open world games need random encounters, and making one of the encounters be “the buddies/survivors of the last gang you screwed over” seems like a no-brainer
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2018, 08:14:05 pm »

The thing with the scavengers coming back for more while you’re driving around strikes me as something that probbably will be an actual mechanic. Open world games need random encounters, and making one of the encounters be “the buddies/survivors of the last gang you screwed over” seems like a no-brainer

I hope it won't be quite as simple as that. In the trailer, you get the feeling that this encounter is part of something bigger- Jackie even mentions that it's unlike scavs to go on revenge missions. That coupled with the fact that the girl in the starter mission has platinum level trauma protection and the scavs happen to have a shard capable of screwing with that and all of her fancy chrome makes me hope for more.

In an ideal world, I'd like the encounters to not just be the aftertaste of missions, but to instead be persistent reminders that there might be more to investigate on an old case.
---
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42