Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42

Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition  (Read 59563 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. Flatlined Edition
« Reply #600 on: November 30, 2022, 05:13:52 pm »

There was a music contest for this game that ran until November 30th. Unfortunately I waited until the 30th and the contest is no longer accepting submissions, so I will post mine here, with downloading and listening enabled (I think; if it does not open correctly please let me know, there should be no login required to listen to if I did it correctly)

https://app.box.com/s/j0tm3txluiovofggw9aheg1dmrvi4cle

I'm somewhat disappointed but in reading the rules like I should have the first time using an older beat wasn't allowed. This is an older beat I added a few things to, but I lost the FL studio file for it a long time ago, so I guess it would not have been acceptable anyhow as it was supposed to be newly created.

I also ordered headphones to work on it but the jack was some weird size at 6.15mm or something, doh. I needed 3.5mm standard headphone or a converter. The result is the additions to the song were done without headphones on crappy monitor speakers. Basically, I reversed the original song and picked bits out of it to add to the old beat (this preserves using the same instruments and tempo, the latter of which is harder to work on previously exported songs when adding to them). Thus the additions are rougher than I prefer but I was still going to submit it.

EDIT: The very last part before it fades out are parts of the reversed song that were leftovers. I had to export that and bring it back in as an .ogg because I couldn't figure out how to fade out the reversed sample without bringing it into the program through a different method (using channel rack note allowed using edit events on the volume knob to do the fadeout at the end). I made a mistake in forgetting to boost the last part's volume so it's quieter but I can fix that pretty easily by finding the volume knob that should be at 100%, or by re-exporting the .ogg with correct volume if that is the cause.

EDIT2: I kerjiggered the volume knobs and re-exported the sample, but couldn't get it to match volumes even with normalizing the volume on the sample. I could probably increase the volume past 100% until it sounds close but I'm done working on it for now. I uploaded the new version to the link in case it's marginally improved; however it may have changed the volume of the reversed insertions as I forgot to copy (to preserve) the volume knobs % before changing it so maybe it made that slightly worse; hard to tell without headphones but it should be a minor change.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 06:21:21 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. Flatlined Edition
« Reply #601 on: June 13, 2023, 10:49:32 am »

Well, news dropped and this thread is dead so...well, *ahem*...

Wake the fuck up,Samurai! We have a city to burn.

The expansion for Cyberpunk 2077 got announced and a trailer dropped. Cyberpunk 2077 - Phantom Liberty. Release date is Sept. 26, and will come with an update that reworks a lot of base game systems:

* A complete rework of the police system. There will be NCPD/Mercs chasing based on your “wanted” level (5 levels max).
* The perks and skills system has been thoroughly overhauled. Now very few of them will give simple passive bonuses and stats. Instead, they will provide interesting active abilities and meaningful changes. Some examples are dash, different melee finishers, and bullet-deflecting with melee weapons.
* The 6th skill tree was added. It uses Relic Points as a resource, and players will use it to add new abilities to Cyberware.
* The difficulty curve has been rebalanced and reworked for a better pace of the game.
* New enemy types and archetypes were added, and many existing ones have been reworked to introduce more variety in combat.
* Several changes to how Cyberware works, including a negative effect if you have too much of it.
* The highly-requested vehicle combat improvements are now added to Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty. For example, you can use your Katana while driving a bike. In addition, some vehicles now have weapons installed on them, like machine guns and rocket launchers.
* Speaking of vehicles, you will now be able to hack cars. Additionally, you no longer buy cars from fixers. Rather, they are now purchasable via Wakako Okada’s website.

So if you've avoided CP2077 because of it's launch state, but if you're a fan of games like Fallout: New Vegas and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines...well, September may be time to reconsider. And if you've already beat the game...well, this actually sounds like it may be worth a fresh playthrough.

(Of course, never preorder. Wait to make sure they haven't broken everything. But CP2077 is in a very good state now, and with any luck they've learned their lesson on actually checking the testing on platforms other than a couple of variants of PC).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 10:55:06 am by MorleyDev »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition
« Reply #602 on: June 13, 2023, 11:16:41 am »

I'm unclear on if you get the update only if you buy the DLC or if it comes as a standard update.

Either way, yeah, this is actually enticing me back for a 2nd playthrough. One of the biggest detractors from CP2077 was that no one had the time do any game systems worth a damn. From the cops to the design or armor, weapons, clothing and perks, it was all a sloppy rush job. So I'm interested to see what they've come up with given actual time to do something well.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 02:55:39 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 13, 2023, 11:21:09 am »

It was exagerated how bad it was. If you think of it as a fallout clone, instead of a GTA clone, the game was allready decent at launch, I'll probably play the DLC for a 2,5th playthrough (hopefully I can keep my lvl50 char that did as little of the story as possible so I won't be bothered by level scaling and the looting it imposes, lethal combat both ways instead of bullet sponges because I didn't bother to check my equip for too long, its my only real criticism of the game actually, I detest level scaling)
let

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #604 on: June 13, 2023, 11:49:55 am »

I'm unclear on if you get the update only if you buy the DLC or if it comes as a standard update.

It seems like lots of the features will come to the base-game as a patch regardless of DLC ownership, but that could be wishful thinking.

But yeah base-game was a fine RPG from what I've seen, and on PC it was just "quite buggy" (which to be fair, just puts it in the same camp as loved classics like FNV and VTMB). It could be downright broken-level buggy on consoles though, apparently CDPR outsourced the console testing pretty much entirely and didn't think to...double check themselves at all.

The extra features they've patched in have mostly been "nice to haves", visual-only outfit, extra player homes, more cars, so customization stuff. Which is nice but does lose the existential horror when you realize you're character is dressing like Johnny Silverhand now. His outfit being so good that of course you the player want to wear it, but what it means from an in-universe perspective that V is dressing like Johnny...kinda terrifying.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 11:52:55 am by MorleyDev »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 13, 2023, 12:59:03 pm »

I just mean so many systems were half-baked or non-existent.

Like Armor being tied directly to clothing.

Every citizen or enemy have an entire suite of cyberware so all your hacks always worked on everyone.

Weapon balance being a joke.

Half the perks being boring if they even worked at all.

Having played TT Cyberpunk since I was a teen, the lack of effort on display was a serious disappointment to me. The story and gameplay were fine...ish. But the lack of fucks to give about the mechanical underpinnings of the game definitely took away from my entire experience. Hoping what they've done in the time since is good and fun and interesting.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #606 on: June 13, 2023, 01:35:08 pm »

Like Armor being tied directly to clothing. - You can get cyberware for more armour, and add mods to clothing, but there's no separate armour slots or anything. Can chalk that up to streamlining and wanting players to be able to look cool.

Every citizen or enemy have an entire suite of cyberware so all your hacks always worked on everyone. - Can chalk this up to gameplay mechanics, wanting to make a quickhack-heavy playstyle viable.

Weapon balance being a joke. - Eh, no more so than any other first-person Western RPG.

Half the perks being boring if they even worked at all. - Eh, no more so than any other first-person Western RPG.

Sounds more like an inherent problem in adapting group play tabletop to the trappings of a single-player first person RPG game, rather than something they specifically screwed up on.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 01:38:55 pm by MorleyDev »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 13, 2023, 01:49:33 pm »

I'm mostly mad about deceptive advertising to intentionally hype people up for the impossible game, and abusing employees as is industry standard. Neither of which will be fixed by making the game good, per se.

But uhh, on the other hand, a good game is a good game. So that would be good.
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 13, 2023, 01:51:50 pm »

Like Armor being tied directly to clothing. - You can get cyberware for more armour, and add mods to clothing, but there's no separate armour slots or anything. Can chalk that up to streamlining and wanting players to be able to look cool.

Every citizen or enemy have an entire suite of cyberware so all your hacks always worked on everyone. - Can chalk this up to gameplay mechanics, wanting to make a quickhack-heavy playstyle viable.

Weapon balance being a joke. - Eh, no more so than any other first-person Western RPG.

Half the perks being boring if they even worked at all. - Eh, no more so than any other first-person Western RPG.

Sounds more like an inherent problem in adapting group play tabletop to the trappings of a single-player first person RPG game, rather than something they specifically screwed up on.

No. It's a result of a complete refactor midway through development and investors pressuring them to release before they were ready. CP2077's release was a trainwreck. Describing it as anything less is historical revisionism. It delivered on graphics and a story and basic open world gameplay. The rest they limped over the finish line.

And it's a lazy excuse to say "oh we wanted quickhack gameplay to be effective." I did a hacker playthrough. It trivialized the entire game from the first hour. The other 80 hours was quickhacking the world and having to work for exactly nothing ever. Instead of interesting situations to encounter like "Oh, this guy DOESNT have a smart link so I can't shut down his weapons." "Oh this guy DOESNT have cyber eyes so I can't blind them", it was "blind, overload, loot the corpses." On Every. Single. Encounter. If I had to choose between 100% effective all the time no matter the circumstances, and occasionally having to use something else or do something else, I'd have taken the latter. And no, self-imposed "well maybe I just won't use blind on this guy, this time" limitations is no substitution for actual work getting put in.

The game's balance was a joke because no one had the time to care, they had "the biggest game ever" to release.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 01:58:45 pm by nenjin »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 13, 2023, 02:10:14 pm »

Heh tbh I'm some sort of cheesy completionist, I usually try to find a way to have access to all possibilities, so like I will have the strength to lift the heavy thing aside, pass the speech check, and be able to access the computers. I play games in stupid ways like that whenever I can, and savescumming has allways been my best friend. So I guess it would make sense that I wasn't slapped in the face with "some of these things trivialise the game", I was just busy dragdeling around, as such not particularly shocked by inconsistencies since I don't shy away from causing them. I'm usually not that concerned with graphics, but they might have carried this game for me. Sometimes I see the icon and if it wouldn't use so much power and cause so much excess heat, I could be easily persuaded to just go watch some stuff, screensaver mode.
let

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #610 on: June 13, 2023, 02:11:06 pm »

Not saying it was amazing, just that...that's a description of basically every First-Person Western RPG's combat for the last decade. It doesn't seem egregious is my point. It just kinda fits what I expect I'm getting into with this type of game at this point. When Fallout 4 arguably has the best combat in that category, something is very wrong with combat in the genre.

When I played, on the highest difficulty and around patch 1.4 I think, the quickhack cooldown was enough that getting caught relying solely on quickhacks was death. By end-game I was running at high speed with a shotgun, switching between quickhacking and shotgunning constantly just to stay alive and dying to random mooks in a few shots if I so much as stopped to catch a breath but also killing them in a few shots.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 02:17:48 pm by MorleyDev »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 13, 2023, 02:17:57 pm »

I can't say that was my experience. But I finished it long before 1.4.

Put it this way: Fallout 4 had a better grasp of its own mechanics and reasonable things to balance them by at release. CP2077's release was basically a first pass at having "numbers filled in" in terms of it mechanical fidelity and depth. That was a pretty massive disappointment from the studio that did the Witcher. If they were some no name studio I'd be ok with "it wasn't any worse than most Western open world FPS game releases."

Except it's not a western game, and it fell well, well below the standard set by competitors in the space like GTA _3_ even. Traffic was a sloppy mess. Traffic AI was a sloppy mess. Pedestrian AI was non-existent. Police response was phoned in. Vehicle physics? Pffftttt, no. The # of standards they not only failed to meet but literally phoned in alpha work took me from "this sucks" to "this sucks and I'm angry."

The game was 2/3rds finished when it was released. It doesn't get a "eh it wasn't worse than anyone else's" pass for me, for that.

I'm glad you had a better experience playing a released game months after when they put in work to make it better. For those of us that played it at release though, no amount of "well it's better now" will smooth over just how fucking janky and unfinished it was when they sold it to us.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 02:53:41 pm by nenjin »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #612 on: June 13, 2023, 02:21:25 pm »

Guess that's also a difference, I don't view it in the same category of game as GTA. I view it's worldspace as a more crowded Bethesda Fallout, VTMB or Deus Ex type game than a GTA type game.

I never try and jack a car (when I can summon your car with a button there's literally no point) or go on a killing spree so probably don't run into the pedestrian problems.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 02:24:06 pm by MorleyDev »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 13, 2023, 02:22:04 pm »

Guess that's the difference, I don't view it in the same category of game as GTA. I view it as a more crowded Fallout, VTMB or Deus Ex type game than a GTA type game.

Even as those, it falls well below the standard in terms of everything EXCEPT the stories they told.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 13, 2023, 02:33:59 pm »

I will admit that cars were absolutely embarassing, and pedestrians too. I guess that's why I keep comparing it to a game without vehicles. They felt out of scope, they were needed because of the size of the map but oh god. I had a controller on my desk because of how unbearable the steering controls were (are?) on keyboard. That whole part felt very much like how some indie developper would slap vehicles onto a game that's allready struggling with performance. Tho optimisation really wasn't that bad for the kind of graphical fidelity it produces, I don't know why I value optimisation so highly, but that kinda passes as polish for me, I just noticed. Pedestrian and cop AI also utterly lame yes we've seen better on the PS2.

I never played any witcher game until now.

I never try and jack a car (when I can summon your car with a button there's literally no point) or go on a killing spree so probably don't run into the pedestrian problems.

I quickly saw how lame it was so I stayed on the low too.

The game was 2/3rds finished when it was released.

Fair. I hope they aren't done after the DLC either, I have a savegame ready for a reason.
let
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42