Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42

Author Topic: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt. New Firmware Edition  (Read 59304 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberpunk 2077 by CDProjekt: Hour-long guided gameplay demo out
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2018, 06:09:53 am »

I don't really care about how good it will look, I will still play this even if I have to upgrade my PC. My only fear is that the game will be too short or too small (map size), due to the level of detail & complexity they seem to be putting in.

I'm glad that we had this gameplay demo, because I had not heard much about this since 2012. It's looking promising so far.
CDPR claims that the main story alone is around 50 hours. So I doubt it will be short.

Also keep in mind that they've been making the game for a very long time now, as far as these things go. It's been 6 years and there are at least two more to go.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2018, 06:16:28 am »

Work only really got started in earnest after Witcher 3 was done though.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2018, 09:46:00 am »

For me what will keep it true to the demo or not is the UI work. Much glossy tech was shown and that's great because I like immersive UIs. But I can see that being one of the first things on the chopping block.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2018, 02:12:57 pm »

I doubt it'll be short - CDPR have said it's "far, far bigger" than the Witcher 3. I do wonder if that's in gameplay scope rather than map size/stuff to do, but the last thing I imagine is that it'll be too short.

It all assumes CDPR will downgrade the game graphics and only focuses on that part (graphics). Understandably since that's all most of players looks for nowadays. I'm almost sure they will, unless they pull some magic hamsters from somewhere and put them in code. The only other way would be to tell everyone who thinks their "highend" out of the box system will run this on ultra with 60 fps: "You are reta*%ed". Keep in mind the game can have such high ultra specs even if low settings works great on potato. Not a single AAA company, even including CDPR, is going to do that until shooting is acceptable solution to people trying to lynch. This is modern playerbase problem - everything has to run on ultra with 60fps on hardware that some marketer sold as "will run everything".

Yes and No. Whilst I agree that people thinking that they'll be able to make it look like the demo with anything other than a monster system will be very disappointed, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't manage a bit of technical wizardry. The Witcher 3 pretty much managed to do the 'no outdoor loading' thing first and on an absolutely massive map, and the game looked incredible (regardless of downgrade) even without everything maxed. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have some technical tricks up their sleeve to make it work better than expected. I imagine a lot will be in the city design; they don't need to render far as it's all so densely packed and they can hide away anything that's a big render cost behind junk etc.

The main thing to bare in mind with expectations about CDPR is that they have the backing of an entire government - it's pretty much Poland's only cultural export so they've got a lot riding on it (the Polish PM even game Obama a copy of the Witcher 3...). So it's fair to say that they'll have a lot of support in getting everything cutting edge.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2018, 06:33:16 pm »

On the flip side, there’s intense pressure to deliver as well. And that can lead to some shady development decisions.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2018, 01:03:43 am »

That being said...I don't see much in their reputation/history that would lead to them making "shady development decisions". I do know a while back they had some shitty management issues (and that can certainly affect development) but as far as I am aware they are not hurting for money and have always maintained the "until it's ready" mentality.

I doubt they would be willing to sacrifice their top level reputation for quality and customer focus by making some stupid decisions to fake people into thinking it's as good as is it (and deliver a product that is not as good as they claim).

Trolldefender99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2020, 08:31:21 pm »

I'm pretty excited for it, not long for release. But I worry that its so insanely hyped up that its almost destined to fail.

There are very few games with this much hype (and can't think of any off top of my head) that have been successful and reviewed positively. I remember similarly, SPORE was so hyped up that at release it tanked. Personally I barely paid attention to SPORE, bought it at release and played it for a couple hundred dollars and was happy with it. BUT, it was the most hyped game of all time at the time and just couldn't live up to peoples expectations.

That is what I worry for Cyberpunk 2077. There is so much insane hype, its almost destined to be disappointing for at least quite a few. Me, I play games and have fun with any game, I see games as entertainment not the second coming that change the world forever. So I personally have never been disappointed by a game itself (business models, cash shops yes, not the actual gameplay or mechanics).

hopefully I'm wrong, but in the past, games that have been so hyped up, peoples expectations (not all people of course) grow to incredibly unreasonable levels and it doesnt tend to end good.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2020, 11:00:25 pm »

It looks to be too story-based to be any good, unless you're into that sort of thing.

Time will tell.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2020, 11:05:20 pm »

Personally, I think it'll be hilarious to see people's reactions. Maybe it will even be a good game on top of that. Win-win, really.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2020, 10:13:21 am »

Eh. Oblivion was hype, was ok. Skyrim was hype, was pretty good. FO4 was hype, was pretty good.

I'm going to enjoy it pretty much no matter what form it takes. If it's The Witcher with neon, guns and cyber-titties, I think it'll be just fine.

In case it wasn't mentioned, release is September of this year.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alas we will have to wait until a little longer until we can embrace our cybernetically enhanced genitals. The game's been delayed an additional two months, to November of 2020.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 03:55:15 pm by nenjin »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CDProjekt making Cyberpunk 2077: Cinematic Trailer out
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2020, 05:01:24 pm »

Yeah the trickle of info on this game over the years has been so minimal I wasn't bothering to add to the thread.

It's not that slow, given the schedule they have. I mean, they've got 59 years left to finish the project.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

They said the game is basically done content-wise but they're taking the extra time to polish and test, which I fully support.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They said the game is basically done content-wise but they're taking the extra time to polish and test, which I fully support.

I recall reading that one of the reasons for the delay was to ensure better compatibility with some existing and upcoming hardware. This probably gave them time to do a bit more QA and polish.

As far as hype goes, that's mostly on the customer and influencer end. I can't remember CDPR making any too outrageous claims about what the game can do. It's not like they've been running some Molyneux spin factory on the game.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 42