Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: StarForge, Anyone tried it?  (Read 44518 times)

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: StarForge, Anyone tried it?
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2014, 03:53:48 pm »

So, um, this doesn't look too promising:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2dhpvd/starforge_developer_misconduct_a_look_back_from/

Okay, yes, it's a one-person anecdote, but it's concerning nonetheless.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2014, 09:35:18 pm »

The best post on that reddit discussion:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/2dhpvd/starforge_developer_misconduct_a_look_back_from/cjqpgn9

Not to sound cynical, but a lot of these games are not designed to be finished. They are designed to sell. They make a shell of a game, and do as little as possible, just so they can stay relevant. That allows them to seem "alive" while the unfinished product continues to sell. This can go on for years until they are able to fade away. They don't just stop any given moment. They wait for people to get impatient, and/or move on to other things and leave, so when they finally do end the cycle, it's a quite passing. I've already seen this happen multiple times, and it's so similar each time, that it feels premeditated. Like it was planned.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2014, 05:37:12 am »

I can assure you it's not premeditated. There is no profit in that system and it eats up so much of your life and soul, causing a crushing depression, that nobody would willingly choose this path. Ask Lord Dullard who tried a very brief version. Then talk to people like the Devs of Mortal Online and Darkfall online. Now the people who did do it, and this IS pertinent to the discussion, is Keen Software House. The French developers of Miner Wars 2081 who conned people out of millions of dollars for a complex sandbox game and an MMO but then delivered a shoddy on rails space shooter and walked off with presumably millions to start the prototype of Space Engineers. Starforge Devs just got in over their heads, sales dried up and they have to release what they have before going completely belly up. They have to hope that a little bit of new sales now will fund their next prototype so that they can Early release another more successful game. It's the current business model in the unregulated Steam world, but it's about to come crashing down.

You may have heard me say I was waiting to release on Steam until they fixed the system, well it's coming very soon.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 31, 2014, 10:47:19 am »

The bit about deleting forum accounts and all associated posts reminded me of the hazeron debacle. That's never acceptable, and even worse is that this is a paid for game.

Starforge never struck me as a very well planned game from the getgo... just a bunch of kinda cool ideas thrown together in a broken mess.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2014, 02:24:53 pm »

investigations and all that.

developers being sacked:
http://imgur.com/a/i7OG5

features being removed (stress simulation, the only thing that would have set this game apart):
http://starforge.typepad.com/starforge/2014/08/weekcodehatch.html#sthash.kSIyIy9W.dpuf"
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:28:51 pm by LoSboccacc »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2014, 05:45:42 pm »

Damn.

But yeah, deleting forum posts/accounts and hushing up completely is sort of the line between being a fuckup and an asshole.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2014, 07:34:57 pm »

with simulated support? see 7days to die :D (not to the level of red faction guerrilla, but the technology is possible)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2014, 09:26:56 pm »

Wait, they had 18 developers? For this game?
Why?

Anyone in their right mind could tell you this game would never sell enough to support that. Ever. For that reason alone, 18 is a silly high number for it.

As for what greatorder is saying:
Nope, you're actually wrong with all that stuff. Firstly, they're using the Voxelfarm Engine for their stuff.
See here for details: http://procworld.blogspot.com/
It's the same engine EQ:Next is built on, and it's actually pretty darned nifty.  In terms of voxel engines, that and possibly the voxel engine used by Planet Explorers are currently the only viable commercial voxel engines out there. So in terms of that side of things, they actually made the most optimal choice they could have.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2014, 07:38:05 pm »

basicaly the game is almost out of funds, they are pushing the patches rapidly now, but the content of those patches is mostly bug fixing.  they are banning people left right and center on the steam forums for asking questions, or any slightl critical commnets, the devs are posing as players as well without dev tags, nameless , ispunki and theres one other one who are talking up the positive aspects of the game but are in fact the remaining devs, just as an attempt to squeeze sales, it wont work, some rumours abound after they goto 1.0 that the next step will be a open source of the game once codehatch slips into bankruptcy

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 08, 2014, 10:54:02 pm »

Just as expected of a game with a "star" in its name... there is a flood on the market of the "star" games.
._.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 08, 2014, 11:44:27 pm »

Just as expected of a game with a "star" in its name... there is a flood on the market of the "star" games.
Hey now, Starscam is a legitimate game that will be coming out any day now.  Don't just go around throwing lump insults around like that, makes you sound like a gameist.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2014, 05:58:03 am »

Hey now, Starscam is a legitimate game that will be coming out any day now.  Don't just go around throwing lump insults around like that, makes you sound like a gameist.

Now that's what I call Starcasm.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2014, 10:49:00 pm »

1.0 is out!

Further updates will depend on future sales of the game.
HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Though to be fair, I've not tried it out myself yet. Maybe it'll be passable.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]