Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Badass Stray Giant Bat with equipped weapons  (Read 32167 times)

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
Re: Badass Stray Giant Bat with equipped weapons
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 09:37:38 am »

Looks to me as if a demon shifted shapes to hide among people.
I'm not aware of demons being able to hide as non-sentients, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. It also had the option to butcher it, and I don't think you would be able to do that to a demon (demons counting as sentients regarding butchery).
They can't. And anything that a demon shifts into will have "XX twisted into humanoid form" as it's description.

I know, but it's still a fun explanation. Can't take everything so seriously.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 11:05:21 am »

Hm, what about injuries preventing weapon usage but not equipping?

edit: For example, not unconscious, but perhaps unable to attack? Not really an expert on injuries affecting combat capabilities.

Breaking the legs will slow them down without necessarily making them drop anything, but there's no reliable way to break only a leg.

Webs make it hard for creatures to fight back, but you'd also be webbing the wildlife you're trying to arm. GCS doesn't normally have a grasp token anywhere so that won't work.

Now, a dizziness syndrome makes creatures ludicrously ineffective fighters. The necrosis syndrome on scorpion venom is currently broken so if I were going to do a new herald-creature I'd start by replacing it with a syndrome that works and has dizziness as the first symptom. Numbness might also help keep weapon-bearers from passing out for longer. You could do this with pure vanilla DF if you caught the right FB.

Huskifying the weapon-bearers... that would keep the fight going much longer, but the goal is to weaponize armed wildlife, not feed it to unstoppable abominations.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2012, 01:25:17 pm »

Hm, what about injuries preventing weapon usage but not equipping?

edit: For example, not unconscious, but perhaps unable to attack? Not really an expert on injuries affecting combat capabilities.

Breaking the legs will slow them down without necessarily making them drop anything, but there's no reliable way to break only a leg.

Webs make it hard for creatures to fight back, but you'd also be webbing the wildlife you're trying to arm. GCS doesn't normally have a grasp token anywhere so that won't work.

Now, a dizziness syndrome makes creatures ludicrously ineffective fighters. The necrosis syndrome on scorpion venom is currently broken so if I were going to do a new herald-creature I'd start by replacing it with a syndrome that works and has dizziness as the first symptom. Numbness might also help keep weapon-bearers from passing out for longer. You could do this with pure vanilla DF if you caught the right FB.

Huskifying the weapon-bearers... that would keep the fight going much longer, but the goal is to weaponize armed wildlife, not feed it to unstoppable abominations.

Yeah, a FB might be fun. Only thing is injuries would stack  up over time. Then again, I don't think you can treat animals anyway. What about monkeys, like if I locked various types in a room with weapons. Would the thief tag be effective in arming them?
edit: That quote gets funnier every time I read it haha
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 01:29:04 pm by Morpha »
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2012, 02:03:57 pm »

Paralyze just their legs and they won't be able to use them for as long as they stay paralyzed, same as if they were temporarily broken.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2012, 02:21:26 pm »

What would be the easiest way to do that?
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2012, 02:58:38 pm »

You would need to give a creature an attack or interaction that gives a syndrome. Attacks are probably the easiest way to do this, so here is an example that I stole from the GDS. The only thing you need to edit is the SYNDROME effect.
Code: [Select]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:POISON:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen giant desert scorpion venom]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen giant desert scorpion venom]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:giant desert scorpion venom]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:giant desert scorpion venom]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling giant desert scorpion venom]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling giant desert scorpion venom]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[ENTERS_BLOOD]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:giant desert scorpion sting]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:SCORPION_DESERT_GIANT:ALL]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[CE_NECROSIS:SEV:100:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:BP:BY_TYPE:THOUGHT:ALL:BP:BY_TYPE:NERVOUS:ALL:START:30:PEAK:60:END:1200] Change this
Into [CE_PARALYSIS:SEV:1000:PROB:100:BP:BY_TYPE:STANCE:ALL:START:10:PEAK:10:END:1000]. That should paralyze their legs (well, feet technically, but it will have the same effect of making them be unable to stand) for 1000 ticks, with the effect starting 10 ticks (basically 1 dwarven step) after they are stung.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2012, 02:30:39 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is it possible to mod a weapon with that effect? If so, you could create Legbreaker the Breaker of Legs, Featherwood mace.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 03:06:17 am »

Or possibly make candy war hammers hilarious, then give one to every dwarf before a spiral happens. Crippled angry dwarves everywhere!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]