Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Killing Elven Traders  (Read 4239 times)

ryan4143

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Killing Elven Traders
« on: May 29, 2012, 03:46:48 pm »

I recently killed a caravan of Elven traders. Was this a good idea or a bad idea? O_o

In Christ,
Jesrin

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Killing Elven Traders
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 03:52:32 pm »

In most of the minds on this forum, it was a good thing.

In terms of gameplay, depends on how ready you are for a siege of hippie tree-hugging archers.

Actually, I wouldn't even count on it just yet. Last time I had to kill six caravans of elves before they finally declared war.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 04:05:24 pm »

Elves take a lot of poking before they siege.

Still, I've yet to hear a valid reason to close off my supply of sunberries and Giant Wolverines.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 04:09:52 pm »

bad, you just gained yourself a whole bunch of wooden garbage which will slow down your FPS and generate a bunch of hauling tasks for your dwarves.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 04:28:05 pm »

bad, you just gained yourself a whole bunch of wooden garbage which will slow down your FPS and generate a bunch of hauling tasks for your dwarves.

This is why I never kill Elves.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 05:08:31 pm »

I usually embark on terrifying biomes so their fallen brethren from the last caravan usually take care of them but the clutter they leave behind is bad for the fps. Ofcourse I have absolutely no intent of keeping them alive since they bring nothing of use. Drowning them is an option but leaves the junk while good old atomsmashing just feels like a too quick way for them to die.

Here's what I sometimes do:
Dig a long row of depots closed with drawbridges and build a magma tank above them. Drawbridge goes up, magma comes down. Elves like fire, right? Just beware: sometimes their wood loaded donkies burn for a really long time unless you pump water on them. I have sometimes had multiple elven caravans burning on depots a few block away from each other. This way is bad for the fps so you might also want to consider casting them in obsidian  or ice. (Making a secondary depot for obsidian casting takes some work but it is worth it!)

One more thing I tried once in an evil biome:
Build a long corridor to your depot with closing drawbridges and when they are in it, close their way to the depot and outside. Open a second set of bridges that has an alternative route to the depot, which the elves will take.  Close the gates again and the elves are trapped in the corridor except this one has a floodgate that releases a horde of undead merchants to kill them. After they are all dead (and a moment later, "alive" again) you can lure the zombies back into the corridor behind the floodgate. This way none of the zombies should cause trouble for the less hippy caravans and the zombies will be behind a floodgate so they won't scare the elves until its too late to run. (Which they can't thanks to the closed drawbridges.) Just be careful when luring the zombies. I presume that a chained cat would work but I prefer to use dwarf larvae aka. children.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 08:43:05 am »

if you destroy any caravan, the same caravan next year will be smaller. Unless the race has a diplmat, they'll never declare war, which means elves never declare war.

as to the other things, some people destroy elven caravans, just for the hell of it. I seriously can't be bothered. I trade for the nice exotic animals and let them go again
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 10:04:20 am »

I wonder what Christ would think about virtually murdering a bunch of virtual non-human sapient creatures which might well be virtual demons or some blasphemous virtual man-animal chimeras.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Kaiserr

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 10:44:00 am »

I wonder what Christ would think about virtually murdering a bunch of virtual non-human sapient creatures which might well be virtual demons or some blasphemous virtual man-animal chimeras.

haha,lol.
Wait, you type with your feet? That's badass.
DF: Beat people to death with their own appendages!

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 04:12:19 am »

I just asked him by praying.  His reply was:

Quote from: Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour
Should have used more magma, noob!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 04:57:16 am »

You sure your set wasn't tuned to Armok instead?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 07:51:13 am »

You sure your set wasn't tuned to Armok instead?

I just checked my bible, it's true:

Quote from: The BETTER Gospel according to St. Matthew, chapter 5, verses 3-12
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
10 Blessed are they that have been persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are ye when [men] shall reproach you, and persecute you, and say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
11.0.5a Blessed are ye who use magma on elves: for they shall obtain masterwork socks from God.
12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets that were before you.
12.5 especially if you use magma.

Can't deny that.