Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soap bugged?  (Read 1660 times)

byrnsey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soap bugged?
« on: June 01, 2012, 06:33:53 am »

This is going to be embarrassing once I find out what's wrong, but I can no longer designate soap to be made at my soap maker's workshop.

I have 388 tallow, and 38 lye.  All of which are stored in a stock pile next to the workshop.  I set the stockpile to give to the workshop, but that has no effect.  I've also tried deconstructing and reconstructing (so I know I have a soapmaker) the shop.  When I try to add a new job, both oil and tallow soap jobs are red (I have both)  What's wrong here?  I've already made a bunch of soap, so I know that it's possible.

byrnsey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soap bugged?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 06:38:14 am »

Also, reading up on the issue, I've found people mentioning it's possible to have water and lye in a barrel, which bugs both.  I haven't spot checked every bucket, but I definitely have buckets with lye, and no water when I view them.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 06:40:14 am »

If a stockpile is giving to a workshop it seems to only take from that stockpile.  Are you sure everything you need is in the one stockpile giving to the shop?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

byrnsey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:59:49 am »

Yes, I had one massive food stock pile in the level below my farms, surrounded by all the support shops.  Originally, the stockpile was not set to give to anything specific, but dedicating it to the workshop didn't help.

Also:

I noticed that the barrels used to contain the buckets (and the buckets in the barrels) were NOT labeled Lye barrels.  It would be something like Alder Barrel (#35) which contained a +pine bucket+, which contained a lye.  Had a caravan show up, and when I tried to haul the lye buckets up there (after forbidding all water in stocks) only got the one lye barrel from a previous caravan.

Why wouldn't the storage get designated?

P.S. also noticed I had three dwarves in a pathfinding loop to store a perfectly accessible item in a bin, and a few minutes after that my game crashed.  Guess it's time to update to the new version ( I was on .09)

McHaggis

• Bay Watcher
  • Hornblende gabbro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 07:31:19 am »

P.S. also noticed I had three dwarves in a pathfinding loop to store a perfectly accessible item in a bin, and a few minutes after that my game crashed.  Guess it's time to update to the new version ( I was on .09)

Soap works in .10.  My guys are cranking out Hydra soap at this very moment.
The Hammer Lord bashes The Recruit in the mouth with his *silver warhammer*, educating the target.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:48:59 am »

Might be a problem with the hauling chains.  I've noticed that when a stockdwarf is taking some tallow to the stockpile that feeds the soap maker, the soap maker cancels the job because he was trying to grab some tallow in the barrel the hauler grabbed.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Warlemming

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 08:17:48 am »

It might be related to a bug I experience recently. After mining out Malachite and Sphalerite, I noticed I couldn't order my furnace to make brass from ore despite it being available (I had plenty of coke). However, if I gave an order to make brass from ore via the manager screen, the furnaces added the jobs as normal and the brass was made without any problems.

Have you tried making the soap via the manager screen yet?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 08:57:26 am »

Put the lye in a stockpile that does not accept buckets.  It is is known bug that buckets of lye get stored into barrels with the bucket.  The game can't see the lye inside the bucket inside the barrel.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

byrnsey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 11:51:55 am »

That sounds like the issue slink.  Thanks.  I'll put this on the wiki.  That was infuriating, especially since I didn't have wood to spare on my map.

Warlemming - I did try the manager screen.  Got "Job Canceled - no lye" messages.

Orlus - have noticed the designation problem with my smelters melting objects.  Dorfs grab the bin from the stockpile to store stuff, so suddenly there's nothing to melt.  Not sure whether this wastes more time than bin-storing has saved.  Probably a wash.  Anyway, no one was doing anything to the tallow or lye (and in any case I had large enough amounts of it that all of one kind of reagent couldn't get tied up at once)

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 05:18:33 pm »

This should have been fixed in v0.34.10 (see bug #5915).  Was/is this fort running in an older version of Dwarf Fortress?
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.