Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 61

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 251685 times)

Nasferatu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom Update 0.45: The Graphics Update!
« Reply #495 on: December 15, 2014, 05:36:01 pm »

Love this mod :)

I'm having a hard time with my koopas curling into their shells and not coming back out.

Ever. Even when the threat is gone :(

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom Update 0.46: Updated for 0.40.23
« Reply #496 on: January 02, 2015, 04:57:26 am »

Updated again!

This version adjusts a number of things, but the main purpose was to add the adjustments made for the latest DF version.  Most creatures are geldable, and stepladders are included.

Other adjustments:

Weapons adjusted.  Small-bodied races have their own unique weapons.  Rapiers (for Beanish) and war fans (for Toads) strike quicker than most weapons, though they don't cut as deep.

Some gaits added to give creatures more interesting ways of moving.  Toads can run at full speed for much longer than most.  Squeeks are slowed down less while sneaking.  Bandits can spring into a full-speed sprint quickly, though they also tire out faster.  Bumpties can slide long distances without tiring, but it takes them a while to start up.  Chomps move slowly normally, but have a very fast lunge that tires them out easily.

Toads no longer have syndrome-based Shroomshock.  They now have a personality adjustment that makes them prone to going catatonic when overstressed instead.

Entity values and settlement biomes adjusted to hopefully deal with the problem of getting stuck in small, isolated pockets on the world map.  Still needs some adjustment, though, as there is still a lot of land that tends to wind up uninhabited.

New creatures, mostly from SM3DW.  Galoombas, Conkdors, Stingbies, Ant Troopers, Skipsqueaks, and Draglets.  More to come (and more powerups too, maybe: can the Super Bell be considered a fruit?)  Also a new 'tree' added, the Staring Mound.  (You know what I'm talking about.)  Super Oaks too, though the acorns don't actually do anything.  I'm still working out exactly how tree fruits work.  Is there any way to make a plant produce fruit, but make that fruit rare?

I'd like to find a way to separate the biomes in accordance with a system that gives each biome a distinct set of creatures based on those that appeared in a particular level type in particular games.  Making certain creatures seasonal will also be involved.  It's tricky to adjust everything perfectly, so for now there's kind of a hodge-podge of creatures in every biome (though there are some 'general rules': temperate shrublands are the Mushroom Kingdom, temperate grasslands are Beanish, tropical areas have creatures specific to the Yoshi's Island series, Subcon creatures come out in the winter in some areas, and certain specific tropical biomes are Kong country).  I doubt anyone really cares, but it's kind of an intriguing challenge.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 02, 2015, 11:13:55 am »

I've updated the regular graphics set for the new version: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=10368
NOTE: That's a different link from before, front page will need to be changed.

Since DF Hack hasn't been updated for 40.23, TWBT can't be used yet.  I'll create a TWBT version when that's available.

These graphics haven't been tested in game - I just updated the raws to reflect the new changes and added graphics for the new creatures.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:46:44 pm by Rydel »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 02, 2015, 08:05:58 pm »

In theory, a Mario mod for Dwarf Fortress is a terrible idea but your execution is so good this actually works pretty well. I never would've imagined someone could flesh out the races of the Mario world so well. I mean...Toads are hardy folk clinging to legends and Shy Guys are otherwordly, incomprehensible thieves? Sign me up!

I'll definitely be giving this a try later once I get the hang of Vanilla DF.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 03, 2015, 11:20:52 am »

In theory, a Mario mod for Dwarf Fortress is a terrible idea but your execution is so good this actually works pretty well. I never would've imagined someone could flesh out the races of the Mario world so well. I mean...Toads are hardy folk clinging to legends and Shy Guys are otherwordly, incomprehensible thieves? Sign me up!

I'll definitely be giving this a try later once I get the hang of Vanilla DF.

The challenge of trying to combine such immensely different universes was one of the main motivations for making this mod.  I learned a lot of DF modding tricks just trying to make creatures function more-or-less as they do in the Marioverse, as far as motion, abilities, and threat level are concerned.

I'd advise an adventure-mode focus when playing this mod.  I've only tested fort mode a little bit since the 0.40 update, so some things might not work right, and the documentation could use work.  Adventure mode is more intuitive, and has a very different, 'gamey' feel to it as compared to Vanilla; almost a traditional RPG-ish feel with regular random encounters while wandering in the wild, hunting monsters for coins, and finding random powerups in houses.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 06, 2015, 09:09:17 pm »

Now that dfhack has been updated for 40.23 and there's a development build of TWBT our for it, I have updated the TWBT version of the graphics.

The link is unchanged: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=9902

Jimexmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 07, 2015, 01:57:49 am »

is it possiable someone could compile twbt dfhack and the mod together?
Spess mehreens Spess mehreens we make our Enemies die

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 07, 2015, 06:00:35 am »

That graphics pack is awesome, Rydel - though I should give a heads-up: the next update is going to add a LOT of new content (I did mention that last time, didn't I?).  Creatures so far are stu, cataquack, plungelo, coo coo, tulip (opened and closed), wild goombas and yoshis, flifits, sneeds, fire snakes, piranha beans, and crawfuls, and I'm also planning fawfloppers, beehosses, teehee butterflies, power bees, love bubbles, octolots, glurps, clumphs, flying squirrel and cat people (for transformations), and possibly blitties, broggies, and brocks.  Probably other things as well.  This is largely to deal with the new 'seasonal biome' system, which requires a lot of additional creatures to fill up all the 'blank spaces' left over.

(It's like solving a puzzle that was never intended to be solved!  Fun!  And yet some things make a strange amount of sense: like the idea that M&LPIT's Toadwood Forest and SMRPG's Forest Maze are the same place in different seasons...tree-stump pipes, infectious mushrooms, and signs of alien life?)

Also, multicolored leather based on creature (and adventure mode reactions to use it).  Yes, this includes all yoshi colors as well.

Also, is there anything I need to know in order to ensure that it doesn't mess up the TWBT system?  I recall it was rather finicky, unless that's been fixed.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 07, 2015, 07:11:36 pm »

I'll probably add all of that once it comes out.  It does mean that there's a bit of a delay before the graphics are out, but I can make them pretty fast and it give me time to work on other projects, plus I don't end up creating anything that doesn't make the final cut.

Colors for items come directly from the colors used in-game, so that's not affected.
Creatures being different colors can be done in graphics if they are separate creatures, but not if they are separate castes. (Sadly.  I'd willing multiply the work needed for an MLP graphics set if each tribe of ponies could have their own set of graphics.)

The biggest thing to make thing easier for TWBT is to add new content to the end of the respective files.  Each item is numbered in order, so if something gets added in the middle, everything after it gets renumbered.  Unfortunately, this means that anything Toady adds makes me renumber everything, but you can't do anything about that.
Fortunately, the only thing you added in the middle was Green Candy Cane Trees, and plants don't have overridden graphics (Yet; there's a plants.png file in there for a reason. Unfortunately, I'll need to wait until there's material based overrides)

Jimexmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: January 07, 2015, 09:57:28 pm »

blaa blaa new creatures
Are you gonna add the rest of the "Guy" types and snifits as a allies of shy guys.

Spess mehreens Spess mehreens we make our Enemies die

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 08, 2015, 08:39:50 am »

blaa blaa new creatures
Are you gonna add the rest of the "Guy" types and snifits as a allies of shy guys.

They're generally included in the shyguy species itself, as different profession names (with the exception of Bandits).  A snifit, for example, is a shyguy blowgunner, a spear-using shy guy is a spear guy, and a legendary shyguy wrestler is an Anti Guy.  A Fat Guy is just a fat shy guy, shy guys have tough fat that offers those with heftier carriage a fair amount of extra defense ('corpulent' shy guys can shrug off hammer beatings with nothing more than bruises, as my last adventurer found out).

LuckyKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't kill people but when I do it's slow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 11, 2015, 12:19:01 pm »

This is my favorite DF mod, I +1 this thread.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #507 on: January 24, 2015, 04:43:57 pm »

problem with 40.24 compatibility (obviously):

get a TON of errors...though thats expected

it complains about missing creature materials, and problems defining reactions.
thought I would show you.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:14:45 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom Update 0.47: A More Colorful World
« Reply #508 on: February 01, 2015, 06:50:07 pm »

I think I've held this update off long enough.

Lots of changes here!  Let's list them off...

Lots of creature biomes have been changed.  Different seasons will be very different as well, many creatures are active only in one or two seasons.  Plenty of new creatures have been added to fill the gaps.
Adventure mode reactions!  Not quite as expansive as Wanderer's Friend, you're pretty much limited to leather and boneworking.  But you can now skin wild creatures and wear their hide, and outsiders no longer have to fear wandering without a backpack or waterskin.
This change is mostly cosmetic, but it's still cool.  Almost all creature's leather now matches their color.  Leathershops in the Mushroom Kingdom are very colorful places!  Yoshi leather comes in every color.
Catching star bunnies is now its own metagame, kind of.  You have to tag them twice using an interaction, not killing them!  It's tough, because they're fast, but you get a power star for doing it.
Many entities now have new noble positions and structures.  Due to the fact that they never seem to take over anymore, Demon Koopa megabeasts have been discontinued in favor of the 'rare Demon Koopa caste' model, which grows up to be demon-sized and can breathe fire.  It is not entirely immune to heat, though - lava will kill them after a little while.
Koopa alchemy is different now, it's partially based on real chemistry and alchemical theory, with some other stuff mixed in.  It's less time-consuming, but more complicated than before (you'll need certain raw materials for it to work, like pyrite and brimstone).  But you can order the main part of the process to be automated by writing up a 'request for aqua regia'.
Magikoopa movement is more...interesting.  They tend to move in short bursts of teleporting, followed by pauses.  They also toss out several kinds of magic with various colored poofs.  May be overpowered, but they are pretty rare.
Goombas have been split into three functionally identical species: civilized goombas, domestic 'goomba underlings', and wild 'feral goombas'.  This is to deal with some problems related to civilized creatures being used as pets, and will also allow them to show up in the wild.  All three now have paragoomba variants, which are also playable.
Bob-ombs are likewise split between civilized bob-ombs and tame underlings, though they don't have a wild version.
Yoshis are now divided between regular yoshis who now appear in both the wild and as tame pets, and the civilized 'Yoshi Tribe'.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom Update 0.47: A More Colorful World
« Reply #509 on: February 01, 2015, 09:29:47 pm »

I've updated the base tileset for the new version.

I'll need to check if TWBT works with 40.24 before I update that
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 61