Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 61

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 251408 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom Update 0.5.5: Let's do the Odyssey!
« Reply #810 on: November 28, 2019, 12:58:00 am »

Powerups like Super Mushrooms and Fire Flowers do indeed give special abilities, but they are very hard to manage in fort mode since the foods your units eat are hard to control, and the chances that someone ate a powerup right before a battle is pretty low. In Adventure Mode they are awesome though, if you find powerups you can carry them with you and eat them before a battle to make yourself much more powerful for that fight. (They are heavy though, so even if you find a container of powerups you can only carry like 5 or 6 with you. I did this to balance them, since things like Mega Mushrooms would be total game breakers if you could carry 60 of them with you.)

And yes, there are a ton of adventure mode features. Monsters to fight, you can butcher monsters for coins, collect 100 coins for a power star, and then use the power star to make a wish for different powerups or items. There are also ? blocks that can be opened up for items and all sorts of other things. It's basically like a Mario game in Dwarf Fortress.

Dante041

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 28, 2019, 05:18:08 pm »

Oh well that sounds pretty sweet and thanks for the info I guess I'll get rid of the power up plants and stuff and consider saving up points for some of these fighting yoshi's instead and maybe more recognizable foods. Then again I'll have to give the recipes and such a look over and see what they can do first don't want to be too hasty on throwing everything out, I wonder if you can get seeds back from the plants you've farmed. Hmmm well thanks anyways you certainly have been a great help :D

I seem to be having troubles with the tielset and can't seem to get it to work do I need to install this phoebus graphics pack ontop of the ROTMK one in order for it to work?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 07:16:59 pm by Dante041 »

Kinlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 28, 2019, 07:27:57 pm »

Oh I forgot about one other thing, I noticed this has tile sets/graphics but I can't seem to get them to work and I don't know if its just me being a big dumb or if I've not installed the right thing or if they're just too old of versions to work.I tried using the newer one the with text will be text and DF hack but it just crashes my game every time. an then I tried it with the old sprite sheet since it said it can be for any DF version and I'm pretty sure I did it right by going into the ini.text file and changing graphics from NO to YES but that also doesn't seem to work. So I'm confused as to what I did wrong exactly.

Here are the steps for a total conversion, that is, no raw folder content from DF and with no dfhack or twbt, including graphics.

• Have DF 44.02, the mushroom kingdom mod, and the full sprite sheet by Rydel in one folder with a new folder made in there to put everything in
  • Copy over download of DF into a new folder
  • Delete raw folder. For a non-total conversion, don't delete the raw folder.
  • Copy over raw folder contents from RotMK
  • Copy over data folder contents from RotMK overriding all files from announcement and speech
  • Copy over data folder contents from graphics, to data folder overring what is there
  • Copy over raw folder contents from graphics to raw folder overriding what is there

Here are the steps I take when installing full conversion, that is, no raw content from DF as well as soundsense and twbt graphics which uses dfhack:
  • Download all of what you need and have them all in one folder making sure to keep to the dwarf fortress version used here, which is 44.02 but for dfhack and twbt I use 44.05 as those are in the -r2 release-2 state meaning I used dwarf fortress .44.05. To be safe, you could use earlier dfhack and twbt which use 44.02 but those are in beta pre-release state.
    Dwarf Fortress 44.05,
    Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom 0.5.5,
    DFhack 0.44.05 r2
    Soundsense,
    Mushroom Kingdom Soundsense download from opening post,
    TWBT 6.35 which is for 44.05,
    TWBT Graphics Pack by Rydel from opening post,
    and finally make a new folder where all will be installed. Call it ROTMK Full install or something like that
  • Copy over download of DF into the new folder you made earlier from step 1 meaning it now has the dwarf fortress files
  • Delete raw folder. For a non-total conversion, don't delete the raw folder.
  • Copy over raw folder from RotMK to the new folder meaning it now has df files and raw folder from rotmk
  • Copy over data folder contents from RotMK overriding all files from announcement and speech to the new folder
  • Copy over contents from Dfhack 44.05-r2 to the new folder which will have a lot of stuff from dfhack and the df files
  • Copy mousequery and twbt from TWBT r2 folder.
  • go to your new folder, look for the hack folder. In the hack folder, look for the plugins folder. paste mousequery and twbt from r2 into the plugins folder.
  • copy realcolors.lua and paste it in the lua folder which is inside the hack folder
  • white1px and transparent1px pngs goes into art folder which is inside the data folder
  • Copy over data folder contents from the mushroom kingdom TWBT graphics pack, to data folder overriding what is there
  • Copy over raw folder contents from the musroom kingdom TWBT graphics pack to raw folder overriding what is there
  • Copy soundsense download into your folder which now has a lot in it. df, data and raw has rotmk files and graphics pack in it, dfhack files which has twbt files in it, etc
  • Copy soundsense from opening post of mushroom kingdom mod into packs folder in soundsense folder you copied over
  • When you are ready, click on soundsense first and if it asks you, have it point to the gamelog.txt in the dwarf fortress directory where data and raw folders along with everything else is, then click dwarffortress.exe. Ignore the message about there not being enough sounds.
  • If you did it right, you will hear a song on opening dwarfortress.exe and the font will be different

Took me a while since I wanted to retest all of it myself before posting. If there are any errors, let me know. I haven't tested this with dwarf fortress 44.12.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 03:41:00 pm by Kinlok »

Dante041

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 28, 2019, 08:42:24 pm »

That first instructional bit while great, gives me an errorlog and crashes for some reason this particular tile set needs phoebus graphics? Cause I've been fiddling around with Phoebus Init.files and noticed all of these things within that file and have been trying to make a frankenstein's monster of files so to speak with this phoebus pack I found. However I cannot get that to work either for other conflicting issues it seems, I would appreciate any suggestions on what I should do from here as that second route seems rather difficult to find links for windows versions of it all.
Errorlog is as follows
Unrecognized Init Option: RESIZABLE
Unrecognized Init Option: PRINT_MODE
Unrecognized Init Option: SINGLE_BUFFER
Unrecognized Init Option: TRUETYPE
Unrecognized Init Option: ARB_SYNC
Unrecognized Init Option: ZOOM_SPEED
Unrecognized Init Option: KEY_REPEAT_MS
Unrecognized Init Option: KEY_REPEAT_ACCEL_LIMIT
Unrecognized Init Option: KEY_REPEAT_ACCEL_START
Unrecognized Init Option: MACRO_MS

Kinlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 28, 2019, 09:06:31 pm »

The graphics pack linked to in the opening post is its own thing without needing a separate Phoebus pack. You don't need to download a separate Phoebus pack. I have no knowledge of mixing graphics packs.
As for the 2nd route, aside from the downloads linked to in the opening post for the mod, the graphics, and the sounds:

Dwarf Fortress: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html -look for 0.44.02 or 0.44.05
TWBT: https://github.com/mifki/df-twbt/releases/tag/v6.35
Soundsense: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/
DFhack: https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.44.05-r2

Dante041

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 28, 2019, 10:21:54 pm »

I seem to be some kind of special idiot here because I did everything you said to the letter at first and now soundsense is telling me there's not enough sounds and wants to update. Also the windows zip file version of TWBT doesn't give you a Data/raw folders for the graphics/art so I don't know where to put what. Instead you get from left to right two folders 0.44.05 r1&r2 curses800x600.png, overrides.txt, readme.html, Realcolors.lua,shadows png, spacefox16x16text.png, spacefoxnext_16x16.png,< that but -bg at the end but before the .png and then another with top at the end but before the .png. you have thumbs.db and then transparent1 and white1 which the easy files to put away in your steps were done and the folders didn't have anything in them but the plugs,so I'm at a loss on what to do from there, the first time I just tossed them all into data/art folder and hoped for the best.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:34:13 pm by Dante041 »

Kinlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 28, 2019, 11:09:10 pm »

I seem to be some kind of special idiot here because I did everything you said to the letter at first and now soundsense is telling me there's not enough sounds and wants to update. Also the windows zip file version of TWBT doesn't give you a Data/raw folders for the graphics/art so I don't know where to put what. Instead you get from left to right two folders 0.44.05 r1&r2 curses800x600.png, overrides.txt, readme.html, Realcolors.lua,shadows png, spacefox16x16text.png, spacefoxnext_16x16.png,< that but -bg at the end but before the .png and then another with top at the end but before the .png. you have thumbs.db and then transparent1 and white1 which the easy files to put away in your steps were done and the folders didn't have anything in them but the plugs,so I'm at a loss on what to do from there, the first time I just tossed them all into data/art folder and hoped for the best.

Its ok that there is not enough sounds. I got that too. As for TWBT, no it doesn't give you a convinient structure meaning you just take white1px.png and transparent1px.png files I mentioned and put them in the data/art folder then take realcolor.lua, go to the hack folder from when you put the dfhack in your new folder from step 1, and in there, to the lua folder and put realcolors.lua there. 
Go to the r2 folder and take the plugin files in there, mousequery and twbt and go to the hack folder again, then the plugins folder and put them there. Ignore the rest of the twbt files. I'll modify my earlier post.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 11:30:55 pm by Kinlok »

Dante041

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 28, 2019, 11:23:24 pm »

Alright thanks for all your help and patience with my haphazard blundering through these things. Ugh I don't know what I'm doing wrong I followed everything and I'm still getting that same error log! An dwarf fortress just crashes on me I guess I'll try one more time at this but if it doesn't work I don't know what to do.

I'm an idiot and made a rather huge mistake, I clicked legacy instead of SDL man that is just fustrating.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 01:33:29 am by Dante041 »

Dante041

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: December 03, 2019, 08:27:32 pm »

Now that I've been playing this for a few hours every day when i have the time (Mostly waiting for map generation and then trying to find suitable land for toads since they can't live underground. Seriously though RNGesus just doesn't like me or is it a bug I almost always get mountains,badlands,deserts, etc.) I have a great many different questions in fortress mode of course.

1. What are toad houses and what do they do? Like for real are they just troll buildings to make you waste resources I tried making them residential but it didn't work for me.
2. Why the french toast can I not put yoshis in a military team by themselves!? Like for real I can put my two non-fighter yoshis into a military unit but they have to have a toad captain. So what exactly is the point in getting yoshis to defend toads if you cannot get them into military units to defend toads!?
3.What do fighting yoshis do exactly if they don't have fighter skills? Is it just a fancy name or do I need to train them and if I need to train them what was the whole damn point in making them fighting yoshis that cost 301 points?
4.Why aren't humans a playable race? I mean they're everywhere in odyssey and they've been in the mushroom kingdom/universe cannonically speaking what with Pauline being in the fold now with New Donk City.
Hmmm I can't remember what else I was going to ask but if I do I'll come back and edit this post.
I remembered!
5. Yoshis can they wear armor/weapons or are they better without?
6. Steam support? Are you bringing your mod to steam?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 08:34:03 pm by Dante041 »

Kinlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: December 03, 2019, 10:54:42 pm »

I can answer the first question. Toad houses are used to store power ups so they don't go to waste. As for the rest, I am unsure.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: December 05, 2019, 08:57:01 am »

Now that I've been playing this for a few hours every day when i have the time (Mostly waiting for map generation and then trying to find suitable land for toads since they can't live underground. Seriously though RNGesus just doesn't like me or is it a bug I almost always get mountains,badlands,deserts, etc.) I have a great many different questions in fortress mode of course.

1. What are toad houses and what do they do? Like for real are they just troll buildings to make you waste resources I tried making them residential but it didn't work for me.
2. Why the french toast can I not put yoshis in a military team by themselves!? Like for real I can put my two non-fighter yoshis into a military unit but they have to have a toad captain. So what exactly is the point in getting yoshis to defend toads if you cannot get them into military units to defend toads!?
3.What do fighting yoshis do exactly if they don't have fighter skills? Is it just a fancy name or do I need to train them and if I need to train them what was the whole damn point in making them fighting yoshis that cost 301 points?
4.Why aren't humans a playable race? I mean they're everywhere in odyssey and they've been in the mushroom kingdom/universe cannonically speaking what with Pauline being in the fold now with New Donk City.
Hmmm I can't remember what else I was going to ask but if I do I'll come back and edit this post.
I remembered!
5. Yoshis can they wear armor/weapons or are they better without?
6. Steam support? Are you bringing your mod to steam?
1. Already answered.
2. That's how all domesticated sentient creatures work. They can't be made leaders. Sure, you need a toad in each squad, but that's not that much.
3. Fighting yoshis are war trained yoshis. I am not sure what war training does exactly, but it is presumably just like a dog's war training.
4. In this continuity, humans are mythical creatures, including Mario. This mod and lore was made in 2012, long before Odyssey.
5. They can wear armor if it sized for them. They can use weapons. Giving them armor and weapons is probably a good idea.
6. I don't think the author is actively modding this anymore, so probably no, but only IndigoFenix can really answer this.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 09:03:24 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: December 12, 2019, 03:49:24 am »

It's less that humans are mythical (there are human kingdoms in the mod, but they are rare) and more that I wanted to avoid "feature bloat" by adding in too many different playstyles. Besides, since it is modular, you can import existing human fort mods of you like. Humans are one of the better races for adventuring though.

BTW Toads are actually one of the best races for living in inhospitable biomes, since they can get almost everything they need from warp pipes.

I haven't updated this in a long time and probably won't until DF has a new version. I didn't know that Steam has special mods, but I will check it out.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 14, 2019, 02:34:50 pm »

Actually, since this mod seems to have gained a bit of popularity in videos in the past months, I've been able to see some of the problems people have been having figuring it out.  I may make a few updates after all.

Rose Snowflake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 20, 2019, 04:35:01 pm »

When i try to run this i it crashes during world creation, and the errorlog shows

Code: [Select]
undefined local creature material set to default: SOCKOP_ROTMK TALLOW
pls help
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 04:38:27 pm by Rose Snowflake »

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 22, 2019, 05:52:23 pm »

For some reason this mod doesnt work with Legends Viewer.

It says the file is broken. Fixes it. Then spits out an error. The error changes a lot.
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 61