Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 61

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 249169 times)

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 05:31:41 pm »

New release up!  Lots of new content added: Powerup plants, new secrets, trader races and cooking reactions for Toads. Koopas will be ruled by megabeasts or demons.  Any testers available?

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: Major Mod (Update! Version 0.02)
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 07:01:20 pm »

I'll start testing it.

UnkemptArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 07:08:09 pm »

Installing now!

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 07:13:40 pm »

Just got a crash during world gen, heres the error log:

*** Error(s) finalizing the creature TANOOKI_MW
Interaction Token not recognized : HIDE

EDIT: just got another crash with the same error.

Okay, genned another world, seems like there aren't any tanooki's, which is why it didn't crash
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:27:24 pm by Pikdome »

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 07:32:43 pm »

Good to see someone picking up where my old mod left off.

You are free to use anything from my mod if you wish.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2585

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 07:42:09 pm »

Good to see someone picking up where my old mod left off.

You are free to use anything from my mod if you wish.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2585

I really did like your mod as well, its interesting to see the different directions the mods headed in.
Its also quite generous and kind of you to offer all your prior materials to this mod.

Such a good fellow.

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 07:58:37 pm »

I'd like to have picked it back up myself but RL keeps getting in the way. At least now what i made might be put to use ^^.

Thoughts about what I had that you might choose to use.

I casted all of my races to the extreme. If there was a variation I tried to caste it. My koopas varied greatly and they could be anything from shell-less koopas to Hammer Brothers to Magikoopas to King Koopas. From my mod you can see how I did it. It wasn't easy to get all of the body tokens sorted out and applied correctly across the board.

I did this because I liked the Genesis Mod so I tried to do something similar to my playable races.

Koopas should also have a minor, peaceful civilization. As shown by Paper Mario where there was Koopa Village.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:17:03 pm by StephanReiken »

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 08:31:26 pm »

Okay, playing as toads, brought some Yoshi's and puffs along on embark.

I've noticed toads are very very limited in what they can do, I can't forge a pick even. I know you have an emphasis on toads trading for what they need, but you should give them a wee buff like the ability to make coke products and make bronze, no steel or more advanced materials though.
Also, you should make it so you can forge picks as a toad, being stuck with only wood as a building material is pretty slow going, at least being able to get some stone would make it easier to make them into blocks and start building above ground from there.
I expected to be able to smelt the malachite and casserite into some bronze, make that into a pick and start looking for gems for my jewlertoad to cut for trading.
I've always seen toads as being the most moderately advanced, well rounded, yet most peaceful race, with really poor fighting abilities, not a bunch of fellows who can't mine, smelt or take care of themselves.

Edit:
Okay, after butchering my cats, the yoshi's seem to be eating vermin.

Still pretty slow, just hit autumn, waiting for some trading partners to trade all these copper and tin crafts I made.

I've also noticed my yoshi's get thirsty and hungry. Thirst wasn't a problem, but I had set a water source zone, and set my options to zone drinking only so they would actually drink, now my problem is that they are hungry, I think I recall browsing the raws and seeing that they are vermin eaters, and I also have brought along cats, does this mean that they are going to starve? They haven't gone over to my food stockpiles to eat anything, so I'm getting worried.

A lot of boos are flying around, spotted two big boos as well, exciting, but my toads would be killed pretty easily if they tried to fight them.

I just traded a bunch of bone goods and copper spears and wooden training spears for basically everything the trader toads had, I also now just realized that there are no other civilizations near me, meaning I can't get picks, meaning I'm stuck above ground permanently.

Yoshis need to eat and drink alot, too much I'd say.

Oh and, StephanReiken, thats what I really liked about your mod as well.

Well, I've learned its not particularly fun to play as toads I've abandoned the fortress out of boredom, they need a lot of changing, because this is just boring having to wait for others to supply things that I need to get more materials and goods to get the goods to trade in the first place, and on top of this crippling handicap, they don't seem to be particularly good fighters either, resulting in an overly nerfed race that is completely dependent on wood, limiting where you can settle, cannot mine, cannot *really* make metal goods or alloys, is too dependent on other races and isn't really a viable choice when compared to other races to play as.
You did succeed in making a drastically different play style I suppose, but that doesn't mean its a fun one.
I personally feel that having the various playable races possess the same abilities on basic things such as mining, would make for a better overall mod.
Next, I'll try playing as the koopas.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 10:23:09 pm by Pikdome »

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 12:23:14 am »

I cannot help but suggest powerful "Starperson" semimegabeasts that have verying magical powers, some moreso than others.

Also, great mod, by the way.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 12:40:45 am »

I'm rather enjoying playing as the toads. Trying to get a nice wooden fortress started before the caravans start coming. I'm a sitting duck right now though. No weapons, no armor, no walls... Hopefully nothing dangerous comes to eat my mushroom people.

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 01:27:10 am »

I'm rather enjoying playing as the toads. Trying to get a nice wooden fortress started before the caravans start coming. I'm a sitting duck right now though. No weapons, no armor, no walls... Hopefully nothing dangerous comes to eat my mushroom people.
The novelty wears off once you realize you can't make mechanisms and that you need to depend on others for things you could do yourself as another race.

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 02:53:06 am »

I would agree on that. Toads should have access to both stoneworks and basic metalworks up to Iron. (No Steel, but Iron yes). Its more fitting with Toads in game who often have many stone based structures.

What they shouldn't make are metal Weapons and Armor and instead rely on traps and such.

I can see how this might be a problem in your gameplay goal (forcing elven play) but I can't really see that in keeping with Toad technology shown in the games.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:58:08 am by StephanReiken »

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 03:00:54 am »

I would agree on that. Toads should have access to both stoneworks and basic metalworks up to Iron. (No Steel, but Iron yes). Its more fitting with Toads in game who often have many stone based structures.

What they shouldn't make is Weapons.

Thats an angle I could agree on, or they could have access to advanced materials like steel, but can't really make efficient weapons due to their nature, that along with them being poor fighters, it'd be like trading your fighting edge for being naturally very good craftsmen.
I mean, they should definitely be able to mine underground, take a look at the toad town sewer system, how do you think they excavated that? With fans? No sir.

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 03:13:22 am »

Hmm, lets reconsider this from the top.

You can't mine until traders come and they 'might' bring a pick.

Things means..

No Metals
No Stone

Until trading starts

To make basic traps you need metals.
To make basic weapons you need metals.
To make mechanisms and other complicated buildings you need metals.

So, until you've traded you can't defend yourself except with trained pets.
Since you couldn't do anything metals anyway you can't defend yourself, except with traded weapons.

Really all they need then is the ability to use metals but unable to make weapons and maybe armor. You would gain access to mining one or two years into your game. Until you have weapons or trap parts you can only defend yourself with Yoshis.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:40:45 am by StephanReiken »

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 03:44:40 am »

FUUUU. One of my toads went into a fey mood during the first summer. And he needs rocks. I should've embarked with some. :(

Update: The toad went melancholy before the caravan(s) could arrive.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 03:59:41 am by Baijiu »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 61