Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 61

Author Topic: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom: No new update...yet  (Read 251975 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom Returns! Update 0.3: Piranha Grove
« Reply #330 on: September 13, 2013, 10:17:54 pm »

Next up... badges?

How the heck do you even do that without DFHack?

b_knight286

• Bay Watcher
  • ....huh?
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom Returns! Update 0.31: Piranha Grove
« Reply #331 on: September 14, 2013, 12:41:53 am »

Masterwork has 'store' workshops that turn items into a stack of coins.  Maybe do something similar with the toads, since there are shops in SMB?  Selling foodstuffs would be a good way to, slowly, build up gold coins, and you could then add reactions to BUY stuff for those coins in times of need...then you can add a special workshop that upgrades gold coins into blue or red ones, which can be used to buy star pieces.  That work? Seems good to me, and you can likely steal the code right out of Masterwork...or ASK for it heheheh.  Toads are based on economy so this is something you should eventually implement anyways.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #332 on: September 14, 2013, 12:39:01 pm »

Masterwork has 'store' workshops that turn items into a stack of coins.  Maybe do something similar with the toads, since there are shops in SMB?  Selling foodstuffs would be a good way to, slowly, build up gold coins, and you could then add reactions to BUY stuff for those coins in times of need...then you can add a special workshop that upgrades gold coins into blue or red ones, which can be used to buy star pieces.  That work? Seems good to me, and you can likely steal the code right out of Masterwork...or ASK for it heheheh.  Toads are based on economy so this is something you should eventually implement anyways.

Something like this could work.  It would actually make more sense in this mod, since it could be that instead of setting up a store that invisible buyers and sellers inexplicably buy and sell whatever you give or ask for, it could be a warp pipe leading to a far-off 'marketplace' instead...

In the source games, though, stars weren't usually something you could buy... they were generally plot coupons you could get by completing arbitrary challenges or a typical reward for doing favors for someone.  Maybe instead of predictable buying and selling, there could be a way of getting randomized 'requests' for different products, and by shipping off these requested products you could get stars or star pieces... kind of like royal mandates only instead of getting a beating for failing them you get rewarded for completing them.

Next up... badges?

How the heck do you even do that without DFHack?

It can be done by giving each kind of badge material a reaction product that produces a vaporizing stone with an appropriate syndrome when 'activated'.  Not all that difficult, provided you're okay with the vaporizing stone method (which unfortunately doesn't work 100% of the time, but badges aren't used up so that's okay).

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 14, 2013, 05:24:34 pm »

For power star collection, you could add golden chomps that are brought in koopa sieges, so if you kill the siege you can collect their remains to make power stars. Koopas could butcher them into gold bars as well.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 15, 2013, 02:46:33 pm »

Something like this could work.  It would actually make more sense in this mod, since it could be that instead of setting up a store that invisible buyers and sellers inexplicably buy and sell whatever you give or ask for, it could be a warp pipe leading to a far-off 'marketplace' instead...

In the source games, though, stars weren't usually something you could buy... they were generally plot coupons you could get by completing arbitrary challenges or a typical reward for doing favors for someone.  Maybe instead of predictable buying and selling, there could be a way of getting randomized 'requests' for different products, and by shipping off these requested products you could get stars or star pieces... kind of like royal mandates only instead of getting a beating for failing them you get rewarded for completing them.

In my suggestion I was thinking the special Coins could be taken to the Beacon to "summon a star". The Coins get used up and then the Star acts like a typical one. Maybe the Stars could be made from the same material as the Coins used to summon it.

My idea was base mostly on the SM64 "100 Coin Star" and the "Find The Eight Red Coin Stars". Basically,this would just make Coins like a more/less common Star Piece. And different creatures could drop different numbers of Coins or different kinds of Coins based on their rarity/difficulty to fight and some creatures could have a rare golden caste that drops a lot of Coins (based on NSMB2).
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 16, 2013, 04:48:55 pm »

Code: (Errorlog.txt) [Select]
Duplicate Object: reaction STAR_RESURRECT_2_MW
Duplicate Object: reaction STAR_RESURRECT_MW
Noticed this while starting a toad fort.
I'll probably never get far enough to see the repercussions as this world has the added bonus of Halfling's disease mod added to every overworld race (to some degree) with the playable races getting potential for every disease.

Keep up the good work, this mod has some of the most interesting features I've seen in non-dfhack required mods.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Ravenous Space Kobold

• Bay Watcher
  • May all fall to the glory of the kiwi bird!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 16, 2013, 08:07:58 pm »

I would like to give my thanks to you!
I am having so much fun with this mod (especially the Shy Guys)!
But I was wondering if you ever considered adding Poochys into the game?
Maybe just as a luxury pets for toads?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 16, 2013, 08:40:18 pm »

They are there already. It is the first entry in creature_mw_tropical.txt.

But they are naturally tropical creatures, so unless your Toad civ has tropical area within it then they might not have domesticated Poochys. So they wouldn't appear as a trade good from your civ in that case, but maybe other civs might have them.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 08:44:25 pm by EmeraldWind »

Ravenous Space Kobold

• Bay Watcher
  • May all fall to the glory of the kiwi bird!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 17, 2013, 06:00:21 am »

They are there already. It is the first entry in creature_mw_tropical.txt.

But they are naturally tropical creatures, so unless your Toad civ has tropical area within it then they might not have domesticated Poochys. So they wouldn't appear as a trade good from your civ in that case, but maybe other civs might have them.
Oh okay.
I guess I should have looked harder!

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 17, 2013, 02:15:51 pm »

No problem. It is a rather extensive mod. I only knew because I recently opened up the tropical raw looking for Yoshis which were in the domestic one.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom Returns! Update 0.32: Power Star Missions
« Reply #340 on: September 18, 2013, 08:31:47 am »

Update time!  Are you ready to start collecting Power Stars?

There were a bunch of new uses for Power Stars in the last update, but unless you managed to start a star bunny slaughterhouse, not a whole lot of ways to get them.  But all that is about to change.  Toads can now obtain special requests from far-off kingdoms, and by completing them, they will receive either Star Pieces or whole Power Stars.  To obtain requests, you must first distribute flyers.  This is a three-step process: first, build a Screw Press and process trees into paper scrolls.  Then, construct a Requests Office and write out the flyers (this is a ten-step process - automatic, but takes a while to complete).  Finally, create a 'Warp Pipe to the Market' and select 'post flyers'.  This will produce one or more randomly-picked 'requests' for a certain type of item, usually mass-produced.

To complete a request, first look through the papers (they are stockpiled under finished goods) and decide which ones you want to fulfill.  Forbid the others, then select 'sign requests' at the Requests Office.  The moment you produce the required number of requested items, your Toads will automatically ship them off through the Pipe and obtain a reward in exchange.  (You can forbid the signed papers as well if you change your mind.  The signing process is to prevent the Toads from automatically shipping off, say, 50 meat and then starving to death).

There are a huge amount of possible requests and more will likely be made in the future.  They are usually pretty straightforward requests for a large amount of a particular item, like, for example 100 crafts, but some requests may be more difficult to acquire (5 sets of Koopa Shell armor, which you'll have to get by killing invaders), less clear (a 'noble furniture set', for example, is a bed, table, chair, chest, cabinet, armor stand, and weapon rack), or reliant on an esoteric game mechanic (has anyone figured out the secret of producing Red Essence yet?)  Currently, all rewards are either a Star Piece or a Power Star (also I'm not really sure how balanced it is, practically speaking), but the system allows for more... interesting rewards, which may come into play in future updates.

Toads can now stay underground longer before experiencing dizziness - about 1 month, long enough to do most things that don't involve actually living underground.  (For the record, the idea of them getting dizzy underground is not so much that darkness is unhealthy for them, but that it causes them to start reverting back into their mushroom nature.)  There is also a subterranean mushroom called a Refreshroom (it was in previous versions, but now it is more prominent and effective) which will guard against this effect - by keeping your Toads on a steady diet of refreshrooms and refreshroom tea (due to the way syndromes work, you must do both for maximum effectiveness) you can all but completely stave off the harmful effects of cave-dwelling.  Toads now have a few other odd behavioral effects - they will get a short speed boost when fleeing enemies, but with a small chance of fainting from Shroomshock instead (which will also hide them.)  Experiencing too much tragedy too quickly, regardless of current mood (they must go from unaccustomed to tragedy all the way to 'doesn't care about anything anymore' within the space of a single month), can potentially put them into incurable Shroomshock forever (this is very rare though, and probably won't happen unless your fortress is about to collapse anyway.)  Refreshrooms can protect against all of these negative effects.

Besides the market pipe, Toads can create multiple other types of warp pipes, each leading to a different environment and allowing them to produce a different resource: the grassland (food), the desert (sand), the water world (water), the forest (wood), the mines (stone), the glacier (ice), and the lava world (magma).  All of these can produce their associated product infinitely, although with the exception of the water pipe, they are very slow and less efficient than just collecting the resources through normal methods, unless your map doesn't have access to them at all.

The lava pipe was originally intended as a joke until I tested it and found the result to be both (a) awesome and (b) very un-Toadlike.  So I gave it to the Koopas instead.  They now have a third use for charged gems: creating magical fire stones which can be used to spawn pools of magma.  Above-ground lava moat, no pump stacks required!  (Warning: do not use while standing on grass.)

Also Shy Guys now have Kevlardtm.  It's not even close to the effectiveness of Bumpty blubber, but it should make Morbidly Obese Guys a little more damage-resistant, as suggested.

One more change: Prankster Comets are now megabeasts.  I have no idea what will happen when one of them shows up.  They should either operate as expected (vanish from view almost immediately, avoid direct contact with everyone and be effectively uncatchable, and cause crazy things to happen through long-distance interactions) or wipe out your entire fortress in about 30 seconds.  Or possibly get in a fight with someone and explode.  Or do something completely different.  It all depends on how the [MEGABEAST] tag interacts with creature behavior.  Someone let me know what happens when one of them shows up.

And finally, Star Bunnies no longer have Power Stars inside them - instead they lay Star Pieces as eggs if you tame them.  No more butchering bunnies for stars!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 19, 2013, 02:49:39 pm »

New poll up.  Should I standardize creature materials (that is, only one type of meat, leather, etc, with a few possible exceptions for rare body parts)?  It can improve FPS and remove clutter from the menu screens, but I don't know, maybe people like seeing their fortress stockpiled with wiggler meat and cheep cheep leather.  It's more of a look and feel thing.

ZubatZubatZubat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 20, 2013, 01:44:57 am »

A thing that bothers me is that the shyguys can't smelt materials together. No Bronze, Billon or sterling silver?

ZubatZubatZubat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 20, 2013, 08:10:12 pm »

Oh, before I forget, do shyguys need any labours activated to pull things out of the portal?

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 20, 2013, 11:30:02 pm »

Pretty sure the portal uses the observer skill, which cannot be deactivated as a labour.
Looking through the raws, I noticed that INTERACTION:FAINT_MW, which is used when fleeing, has no end timer, whereas INTERACTION:FAINT_FOREVER_MW ends after one month. Seems slightly backward to me.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 61