Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Falling damage nerfed?  (Read 27206 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Falling damage nerfed?
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2012, 10:31:44 am »

khearn, we need to update the wiki with, what I must say is some top-notch science. I'd do it myself, but the wiki login thinks I'm on a proxy.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2012, 11:02:28 am »

misko27: Yes, I'll plan on updating the wiki once I've got more than just raw data. I'm getting close to that point,because...

I just did a 25z test run. All test subjects fully disassembled at the conclusion of the test. This makes for a pretty simple test writeup, no table to create detailing how many shattered bones, etc. Everyone fell exactly as expected, all at the exact same rate. The highest any parts flew was just 4 z-levels.

The test took 41 ticks, and the final speed is calculated to be 1.32 z/tick.

So we've found that 20z levels results in multiple hits of damage, but bodies are intact and survival is possible, but 25z is 100% fatal with full disassembly.

I'll start working back up to see where exactly the dividing line is. Next test will be 24z.

(Somewhere in the distance, Johnny #5 screams "No disassemble!")
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2012, 04:29:10 am »

I believe earlier in the thread it was determined that the retracting bridge was imparting horizontal velocity which was causing the test subjects to collide with walls, Hatches cause direct vertical falls.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]