Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sedimentary Layer Depth  (Read 8242 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sedimentary Layer Depth
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 11:32:46 am »

Quite; it looks like, from what I can tell doing image analysis on the volcanism maps, it's almost like there are individual volcanism regions set down randomly and then a value for each assigned by the mesh size and variability, which can homogenize regions into the same value. If I had to guess, I'd say rock strata are randomly assigned by region, and then igneous extrusive (and volcanoes) bubble up through them according to volcanism stats. It's almost like volcanism is like elevation for igneous extrusion, and sedimentary layers are the first to get pushed out. Given how shallow they are, if there were some sort of randomization value to remove the top 10 or so z-levels to simulate random wear, that could account for the lack of sedimentary stone in some low-volcanism areas.

I don't know how I'd test this short of embarking on a series of sites in increasing proximity to a volcano set with minimal elevation change, then using reveal and tracking the change in elevation of the various strata, but for my original purpose it's not entirely relevant; there's apparently no way to deepen sedimentary rock layers through world gen manipulation.
Pages: 1 [2]