Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Malevolence - The INFINITE RPG!  (Read 10577 times)

Firewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Malevolence - The INFINITE RPG!
« on: June 02, 2012, 04:41:59 am »

Don't know if you have seen this game on kick starter. He describes it as dwarf fortress in an infinite world.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/malevolence/malevolence-the-infinite-rpg

Wondering if you think it deserves an investment?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Malevolence - The INFINITE RPG!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 04:52:49 am »

How does it REMOTLY connect as *like dwarf fortress* o.O dwarf fortress use pseudo turnbase ( ticks ), does the game have disemberment? no, does it has complex combat system? no....

Sure it sound interesting, but i would like to see how it is like DF...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 05:00:13 am »

I think he was comparing it to DF's procedural generation of worlds.

Firewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 05:10:55 am »

:P Don't think I gave the game the correct description. Probably more fair to say its a procedurally generated game that plays like might & magic. It also reminds me of mine craft how it goes on forever when you go out travelling, with biomes etc.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 06:29:40 am »

This looks sick. I found it kind of a chore to get into Legend of Grimrock due to it not being turn based, so hopefully this will work a bit better for me. Glad to see it's allready funded.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 10:02:43 am »

It looks kinda interesting, but how does this work?
World is NOT randomly generated, but it IS infinite, so you can share what you find with friends
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 10:14:48 am »

It looks kinda interesting, but how does this work?
World is NOT randomly generated, but it IS infinite, so you can share what you find with friends

I think it always uses the same worldgen seed.
That said, it means you can use some computer magic to generate random worlds, too.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 12:39:26 pm »

cool i guess but what is the fascination with grid based first-person games? To me it just feels like a throwback to when that was all we had, i cant personally see an advantage to this sort of play-style.
I got nothing

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 12:49:34 pm »

Yeah, I can see using it for nostalgia but god damn I don't want to play a modern game like that.
Shoes...

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 01:21:24 pm »

cool i guess but what is the fascination with grid based first-person games? To me it just feels like a throwback to when that was all we had, i cant personally see an advantage to this sort of play-style.
Yeah, I can see using it for nostalgia but god damn I don't want to play a modern game like that.

Even back in the 80's and early 90's, I always felt that good games in this style were good despite the playstyle, not because of it.

I get the strong nostalgia factor, though... But for me it seems like it's nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia, not nostalgia that focuses on good gameplay elements that have been left behind. Not everything that's old is classic.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 03:11:59 pm »

Infinite does not a good game make. My rule of thumb is that a "Generated" game has to be at least 75% as good as a good game if I ignored its generation. Which this could be, but I'll never know.

Also I have to laugh at the rewards. They are almost all the exact same thing. It is the only thing I've seen where the rewards actually seem to scale down.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 03:24:15 pm by Neonivek »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 04:31:22 pm »

Grid based games work well for turn based games. You can easily see how much an enemy can move in its turn, and how much you can move. Stuff like that. When you're dividing time up into neat chunks it helps to divide distance too.

For games like Legend of Grimrock (and the oldies it's paying homage too) it is definatly nonsense.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 05:15:18 am »

Was just reading the game blog today, the dev made a post about "how to get the game known and heard of ?" . Thought i'd answer his question by posting on df other games forum :p

link to the devlog : http://swordofahkranox.blogspot.be/

I'm really,really interested in that stuff. Think daggerfall with a usable UI and infinite world, or something close. I suspect it'll be a big, big landmark in the history of randomgen/sandbox games.

And it's gonna be TRULY INFINITE GODDAMIT .

And he said already if this one works he'll consider a sequel with true 3D real time free movement (i mean, not grid based) . For this only he deserves that one to works.

check it out.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 12:24:43 pm »

Issue in Logic: Not randomly generated, but it is infinite... 

So... it'll end up becoming an infinite wilderness of same-ness after getting all the pre-made content?  Well, possibly having different monsters for the sake of variety... but yea...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 03:05:20 pm »

It'll probably have procedurally-generated dungeons and quests outside of the scripted regions.  So long as he comes up with enough content it should keep the game interesting for a few extra hours.
Pages: [1] 2 3