Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gizogin's Fluffballs  (Read 15690 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Gizogin's Fluffballs
« on: June 02, 2012, 06:35:10 pm »

They're back!  Some of you may remember my fluffballs, but for those who don't:

A while ago (back in .31.25), I embarked on a quest to create the most ridiculous deadly creatures ever.  I had to learn a great deal about modding to get anywhere, and I failed many times.  In the end, though, I prevailed.  The end product of my endeavor was the fluffball.  A tiny, adorable ball of fluff, which purrs and squeaks and generally behaves adorably.  Get it mad, however, and it becomes just about the most horrifying thing you could ever come across.  The fluffball can release a cloud of gas, capable of putting almost anything to sleep in short order.  As soon as you succumb, the fluffball begins its attack. 

It launches itself at you in a flurry of fluff and vengeance, ramming its soft, squishy body against you in an all-out attack.  It doesn't kill you immediately, oh no; the fluffball prefers to watch its victims suffer.  It presses its attacks endlessly, tackling you over and over until you drop.  This can take days, but the fluffball is patient.  It never hungers, never tires, and never, ever dies.  Throw all your strongest blows at it; it just shrugs them off.  Throw it far away; it always returns.  You cannot escape its fluffy onslaught.

That's not even the worst of it!  Some fluffballs can set themselves completely ablaze, becoming living fireballs set on destroying you.  Still others can release freezing vapor, which rapidly freezes you solid. 

So be warned: never cross a fluffball.  You won't live to regret it.  (Also, they make fantastic cheese!)

Thunderballs coming soon eventually!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 03:09:21 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gizogin's Fluffballs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:38:15 pm »

IM USING THIS. Bravo bravo, I am gonna die so horribly!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 07:03:38 pm »

Here are a few of my arena tests featuring fluffballs:
Spoiler: large images (click to show/hide)
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 07:09:52 pm »

I am scared now, I gave these things to kobolds...........

Gizogin, what have I done to my world? Giving kobolds these demons fluffy angels.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 07:14:33 pm »

I am scared now, I gave these things to kobolds...........

Gizogin, what have I done to my world? Giving kobolds these demons fluffy angels.

YOU'VE DOOMED US ALL!
Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it.  There are actually a few ways to kill them.  They can die in worldgen or of old age.  Freezing/obsidianizing them will kill them, as will dropping a ceiling on them.  Dwarves can kill them at a butcher's workshop, through some method I am not aware of.  I believe they just ask them nicely to cease existing, and the fluffballs cannot help but comply.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 12:06:42 pm »

Dwarves can kill them at a butcher's workshop, through some method I am not aware of.  I believe they just ask them nicely to cease existing, and the fluffballs cannot help but comply.
Maybe they chew the fluffballs like cotton candy and just spit them out?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 02:05:15 pm »

Dwarves can kill them at a butcher's workshop, through some method I am not aware of.  I believe they just ask them nicely to cease existing, and the fluffballs cannot help but comply.
Maybe they chew the fluffballs like cotton candy and just spit them out?

It's a possibility, and one I hadn't considered.  I doubt somehow that they'd be very tasty, though. 
Now that I think about it, though, there is potential there.  After all, fluffball powder has some very potent effects, not entirely unlike certain recreational substances.  If a dwarf an elf (no dwarf would stoop so low) got it into his head that he could get high from licking fluffballs...

TO THE MODDING LAB!
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 02:11:01 pm »

Make the powder have the same effects as bath salts. Don't forget to make them add [CRAZED].
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 05:44:06 pm »

I decided to put your fluffballs to the test. So far, my Mewtwo has done the following:
-lit it on fire
-beaten on it with weapons ranging from a platinum hammer to an adamantine two-handed sword
-beaten on it with its own vicious attacks (all of which are 10x larger and 100x faster than standard punches, kicks, etc.)
-inflicted it with the following syndromes:
--electricity (numbness, dizziness, pain)
--toxic poison (cough blood, necrosis, pain, drowsiness, dizziness, bruising)
--freeze (necrosis, paralysis, bleeding, severe speed drop)
--psychic damage (intense pain, severe dizziness, severe drowsiness, severe cough blood, severe bleeding)
-hit it with a telekinesis attack strong enough to send a full-grown dragon flying over 10 tiles away, repeatedly, smashing it against a wall
And the only way Mewtwo's killed one thus far is by throwing it into the waters of the arena and freezing it with Blizzard.
In short, I think you succeeded. Though there was one time where the game froze when Mewtwo landed an attack...
(The fluffball couldn't so much as touch Mewtwo, due to Mewtwo being immune to all of the fluffball's syndromes (Mewtwo's not in any poison class). Though, to be fair, it takes an army of about 30 dragons being spawned to completely surround Mewtwo on all sides to even damage it.)
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 08:45:42 pm »

I would like to see that Pokemon. That may be the only time I ever say anything like that, so treasure it.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 03:42:17 pm »

Bump out the SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS tags and the syndrome will affect everything. That and a tag removal interaction is how I made my fluffballs able to put every possible creature in the game to sleep (safe for itself). Sure, I could have made it just kill them instead, but a big pile of peacefully sleeping collosi is much funnier than a big pile of dead collosi!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 03:48:53 pm »

What have you done gizogin...what have you done.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 12:27:21 pm »

I would like to see that Pokemon. That may be the only time I ever say anything like that, so treasure it.
Enjoy the !!XX fun XX!!
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 10:48:11 pm »

I know I promised thunderballs a while ago, but I can't get them working the way I want them to.  They just end up as a less powerful version of the fireballs.  Electricity isn't really supported in DF, it seems.

I think it'd be cool to have a fluffball for each element.  I already have fire and ice, and if I added earth and treated the ordinary ones as air, then that's Western elements covered.  Wood and metal wouldn't be too hard, if I just changed what the fluffballs were made of.  Electricity is in the works, and I could easily do poison.  Then there are more nebulous ones, like light, dark, chaos, order, life, and death.  Light and dark I could do, if I made the dark ones just a different color or something, but I'm a bit stuck on order/chaos.

If anyone wants to try their hand at making a fluffball variant, please go right ahead.  Just let me know what you have in mind if you want to do one of the elemental ones I listed above, so I don't waste time making it myself.  There's no sense making two versions of the same thing if I don't need to.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 07:35:48 pm »

I know I promised thunderballs a while ago, but I can't get them working the way I want them to.  They just end up as a less powerful version of the fireballs.  Electricity isn't really supported in DF, it seems.

I think it'd be cool to have a fluffball for each element.  I already have fire and ice, and if I added earth and treated the ordinary ones as air, then that's Western elements covered.  Wood and metal wouldn't be too hard, if I just changed what the fluffballs were made of.  Electricity is in the works, and I could easily do poison.  Then there are more nebulous ones, like light, dark, chaos, order, life, and death.  Light and dark I could do, if I made the dark ones just a different color or something, but I'm a bit stuck on order/chaos.

If anyone wants to try their hand at making a fluffball variant, please go right ahead.  Just let me know what you have in mind if you want to do one of the elemental ones I listed above, so I don't waste time making it myself.  There's no sense making two versions of the same thing if I don't need to.

I have a dust template, along with a lightning template in my mod.  Can't for the life of me figure out how to get them to work in the interactions I made...  Nevermind, didn't pay much attention to the code.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:44:15 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: [1] 2