Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions for a first mod  (Read 1394 times)

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions for a first mod
« on: June 03, 2012, 03:29:57 am »

I'm starting a mod called "Wrestler Fortress". As you could probably tell from the name, it removes most weapons from the game, leaving only wrestling. I got the idea off a thread I read once, about Mexican-wrestler dwarves. A few questions:

-If I remove all weapons from entity_default, they could still make them with moods. If I remove [PERMITTED_JOB:WEAPONSMITH] then they couldn't get picks. Would it be possible to make picks makeable from wood at a carpenters workshop?

-I want masks, belts and boots for my dwarves. Can I make masks and belts out of metal for armour, working as greaves and helmets, and make them count as upper body, lower body and shoes respectively? I also want the goblins to be rival wrestlers, so they use these too.

-I want to replace elves with monks. How would I go about making bo staffs, and how would I go about making elves able to make reinforced wood or tapered wood, that is silver-grade for blunt weapons, just for bo staffs? I'd make them use the mace skill, and rename that skill to staff user or somesuch.

-Goblins are rival wrestlers, elves are monks, watdo with kobolds and humans? Maybe humans could be kungfu, no [GRASP] or teeth, so no biting or wrestling, only punching and kicking, which are stronger. How would I make fists/feet be stronger? Just make 'em bigger?
I might have more questions later, but that's it for now.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 03:39:06 am by Twangykid »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for a first mod
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 04:07:28 am »

I'm not experienced enough with modding myself to give you any useful answers, but I just want you to know, I would play the hell out of Wrestler Fortress. :) I hope you get all this figured out!
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 04:24:19 am »

Welcome to the modding forums! It's always nice to see a new face around here! Have a few answers:

1) Two different ways that you could do this, both of which would work IIRC. 1st way is to add the [TRAINING] token to the pick weapon. That will allow your weapons to be made of would, but will simultaneously prevent them from being made of metal. Alternatively you could add the [CAN_STONE] token, which will allow them to be made out of a piece of obsidian and a wooden log, and will not prevent them from being made of metal.

2) Masks are already in the game, so no problem there (ITEM_HELM_MASK). For the upper/lower body thing you would need to create two new armor pieces (you could call the upper body one "wrestling jersey" or something like that and the lower one "belt" if you want). These can be made by just copy/pasting the leather armor and the pants entries and then doing some renaming and a little changing of values. The upper body one needs to be of the ITEM_ARMOR type and the lower body one needs to be of the ITEM_PANTS type to qualify as clothing. Boots already exist so with just a little work you can have those in the game as well.

3a)To make a staff weapon you just need to copy/paste an existing weapon and change a few values. We can start with
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR]
[NAME:spear:spears]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[TWO_HANDED:47500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20:10000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:10000:6000:bash:bashes:shaft:1250]
and change a bit. The [NAME:xx] token is fairly obvious, and then the next big thing you want to look at is the [ATTACK:] tokens, a complete definition of which can be found at the bottom of this wiki page. Basically the first number is how big the area you hit with is, the second is how deep the shot pierces (for piercing and edges attacks), and the third number is a velocity multiplier. Smaller areas with higher velocities do more damage in general.

3b)You need to define a new "metal" that is called "hardened wood" or something like that. Basically copy the raw entry for silver and rename it. Then create a reaction that has it as a product to make the elves always have access to it.

4) Strength is the biggest thing for powerful punches and kicks. Just go into the goblin creature entry and find the line that looks like this: [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:450:950:1150:1250:1350:1550:2250]. Then change the values to be higher such as [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:1000:1500:2000:2500:3000:3500:4000]. That should make all of your goblins stronger (the highest the numbers should go is 5000).

If you have more questions on how to do the more simple things like creating a reaction or a weapon, I strongly suggest that you check out the beginner modding tutorial located here which explains most of the basics. Information about the various tokens can be found in the pages here, or if you want there is a nifty little modding tool available here that will show you most token definitions and even help you to put the right arguments in the right places.

And finally if you ever have another question (or bunch of questions!) don't be afraid to ask here. You can either post in this thread or start a new one, and there are a variety of various "little question" threads around the forums to ask in if you just want a quick answer to something small (General, Creature/Entity, Reactions, Interactions/syndromes).

Best of luck in your modding ventures! :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:31:05 am »

Thanks, that helps alot :> This is one of the reasons I love this community, alot of other places one would be flamed for asking nooby questions.

E: Just thought of something, could I make masks count as upper body clothes, while defending the head as a helmet, so i can have shirtless little bastards? If so, could I make masks able to be made of either metal or cloth/leather so the civilians can be mexican wrestlers too?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:33:31 am by Twangykid »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 04:37:48 am »

You could make "masks" that defended the upper body, yes. But at that point they would no longer protect the face and head from attacks and would instead protect the upper body (making them basically shirts that you call "masks").
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 04:45:14 am »

Alright, I think I can help with a couple of those.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i2amroy's advice is more specific, so pay more attention to it, really. I'm assuming you can read the wiki and compare it to the raws to figure out what the function are. Not really that hard.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:50:25 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 04:51:15 am »

I've figured out what dwarves can wear on their upper body, while still staying Mexican wrestlers.

Fuckin' capesPONCHOS. I'll make them like mail shirts, but also can be made of cloth, for the civilians. Steel capes, anyone?
Also making gold an armour material, so the legendarys can have golden belts. I wonder how strong that would be...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:03:59 am by Twangykid »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 05:00:03 am »

PTW.  This is awesome, wrestlers in vanilla DF would just be underpowered, making all enemies unarmed ( except elves ) really levels the playing field.  Bonus points to anyone who makes an arena that forces goblins/rival wrestlers to enter in one at a time, to face in single combat against a wrestler from your roster. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 05:08:18 am »

Alcoholic milk, is it possible? I want to milk giant worms for tequila.
El Mexicano mod.

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 05:42:45 am »

[REACTION:MAKETAPEREDWOOD]
[NAME:make tapered wood]
[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
[REAGENT:A:WOOD:1:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:TAPEREDWOOD][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:SMELT]

Would this work, giving PERMITTED REACTION to the elves?

[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKETAPEREDWOOD]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:44:54 am by Twangykid »

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 06:35:17 am »

Okay, this is odd. It was crashing on embark, checked errorlog.
"Oh, silly me, forgot to remove [WEAPON] on weapons that dont exist anymore in entity_default"
Fix everything. New world, embark to test bo staff. Crashes on embark, check errorlog.
It's completely blank. Nothing seems to of gone wrong, yet it crashes.

Nvm, redownloaded the game, copied raws into it, worked. Still, odd.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:38:56 am by Twangykid »

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 01:12:16 am »

Another quick question: How would I thicken the skull? I noticed all fights ended with blows to the head, even with armor. Fights were too quick and boring, how could I thicken the skull on all civilized races?

Also, I feel ridiculous
Code: [Select]
[SOUND:ALERT:50:1200:VOCALIZATION:shout "Ariba!":shouts "Ariba!":someone shout "Ariba"]
[SOUND:ALERT:60:1200:VOCALIZATION:shout "Lucha libre!":shouts "Lucha libre!":someone shout "Lucha libre"]
[SOUND:ALERT:70:800:VOCALIZATION:shout "Lets lucha!":shouts "Lets lucha!":someone shout "Lets lucha"]
[SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:45:10000:VOCALIZATION:arm flex:flexes its arm:an arm flex]
I made arm flex waaay too loud, I don't even care.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:46:18 am by Twangykid »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 02:50:22 am »

An easy way to thicken the skull for all humanoid creatures at once would be to open up b_default_plan.txt, find the line [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS], scroll to the bottom of the entry for this line [BP_LAYERS:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL:ARG4:100] and increase the number. That should give them thicker skulls. You could also change it individually in each creature entry if you wanted to, but that would take a bit more work.