Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 285769 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- Bill is watching.
« Reply #2685 on: October 08, 2018, 03:36:59 pm »

I started watching Dragon Prince but dropped it halfway through the first season. Maybe I was jumping the gun, but Viren was being reduced to a stock character and tbh his interactions with Harrow were the thing I found most interesting about the show early on

Truly, he Unalaq'd

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: October 08, 2018, 08:55:37 pm »

I just finished Dragon Prince.

First off, I totally agree with everyone who said that frame rate is an issue. I'm usually not a stickler for fps, but it showed itself in a bad way here.

I also understand where HugoLuman was coming from, saying not enough happened. Anyone expecting a full story arc going into this will be disappointed. Much like Avatar, this season was only one chapter in a much longer story. I for one am eagerly awaiting the rest.

I'm not sure I fully agree with Powder Miner about Viren being reduced to a stock character. Yes, he's clearly an antagonist, but his motivations are not yet clear. Is he acting on behalf of his kingdom, or his family, or just for himself? Or does he have something even bigger in mind? He certainly seems like the big-picture type.
And it's not like he's the only antagonist here. Racial tensions, historical feuds, cultural imperatives, magical monsters, and teen angst are all in play. I think this show has plenty of variety and drama to keep things interesting.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: October 09, 2018, 05:29:13 pm »

It’s entirely possible that Viren is far more complex than he appears, but if so none of that is currently on display (or, at least, when I dropped off it wasn’t), and considering how much I enjoyed the dynamic and the more complex moral question that was at play earlier on, what the show presented around Viren became far less interesting in comparison, which I found disappointing. It’s not an issue of being the only antagonist or not — Viren and Harrow had simply been my favorite part of the show, and the other characters hadn’t grabbed my interest as much. Perhaps it does tie into the minimal nature of the ground covered in this season, so if I hear about interesting things happening with the plot whenever the next season comes out I’ll probably complete the first and go on to the second, but until then I don’t think so.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 05:31:29 pm by Powder Miner »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: October 11, 2018, 11:58:39 pm »

I just finished the two current seasons of Big Mouth. And wow. I was not expecting that going in...

The first season is basically nothing but crude limit-pushing jokes about puberty. It got a few good chuckles out of me, and a lot of groans. Overall not something I'd easily recommend.
Then the second season turned things around with tons of character development and storyline progression. I was genuinely interested at the end of each episode to see what would happen next. The show very much redeemed itself, and I'm definitely hoping that it gets renewed.

Fair warning though, there is some nudity. One episode actually has more nudity than some hentai's I've seen.  :o

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: October 15, 2018, 03:25:36 pm »

Judge Morty: State of Georgia Vs. Rick Allen

This is crude and terrible...but it made me laugh a lot.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: October 18, 2018, 01:26:28 am »

If I skip the first season entirely, will I get what's going on in the 2nd? I dismissed Big Mouth out of hand from looking at the trailer, but I keep hearing things about it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: October 18, 2018, 02:54:33 am »

The first season of Big Mouth is mostly character introductions. It's a fairly large cast of characters with diverse personalities, so diving straight into season 2 might be a bit overwhelming, but should be doable. Also there's a minor cliffhanger in the last episode of the first season that sets up the first episode of the second season.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: October 19, 2018, 07:22:29 am »

I've now finished the two current seasons of 'F is for Family'.

This one reminded me strongly of Married with Children, because it's set in the 70's, stars a perpetually angry father, his unsatisfied wife, and their inept children, as they struggle with money, sexism, and bullies. And this is yet another show with a very weak first season, but a strong second season. The show is nothing particularly new or special, but it's a respectable family sitcom. I'm looking forward to season 3 coming next month!

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: November 13, 2018, 07:50:08 pm »

Okay.  Just saw the She-Ra Princesses of power launch episode.  What. The. Fuck.

The writing is atrocious, just agonizingly bad, I can't even describe how utterly repulsed I was by the attempts at humor and drama.  I'm not going to claim that the original was in any way well written but it was less cringey than this crap, and to me, that itself is a huge problem, they couldn't even reach that low of a bar.  But even worse than the writing is the godsdamned animation.  Oh dear hells, what the fuck were these people thinking?  It looks like it was animated in Flash, everything is choppy like a poorly optimized game running at some stupidly low frame rate, there are no transitions to any movement, it just causes me pain to watch.

The art style is poor, but not the worst thing ever, I'm getting pretty fed up at the 'no attempt at shading whatsoever' mentality going around right now.  I'm not commenting on the character models, those have been discussed to death elsewhere and I have nothing to add.

If this is where animation is going someone just put an end to it.  For fucks' sake if you're going to try to use the medium as a vehicle for your bullshit please at least do a good fucking job of animating your shit, not this kind of miserable hack job.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:08:36 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: November 24, 2018, 02:30:47 pm »

I just finished Kung Fu Panda: Paws of Destiny, Season 1.
It's marginally better than Legends of Awesomeness, featuring a new Big-Bad, a squad of panda-rangers, and a persistent story arc across the whole season. All very cliche, but worth a watch if you're a fan of the movies.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: November 24, 2018, 04:20:54 pm »

Just binged the 2018 reboot of She-ra.

As someone who has only vague memories of the original from decades ago, animation seems hit or miss. I would watch the show for Catra only, as her reimagining and arc is the main highlight of the new series.

Also, the reboot does not hide its LGBT agenda. This show seems designed to either appeal to people who support it or fiercely turn off people with nostalgic feelings towards the original. It's easier to watch if you don't bring anything from the original show with you, and especially if you enjoy lesbian angst.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: November 24, 2018, 04:34:23 pm »

Guess I'll PTW.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: November 24, 2018, 05:32:22 pm »

This show seems designed to either appeal to people who support it or fiercely turn off people with nostalgic feelings towards the original.

this juxtaposition seems to imply that these two things have the same cause and i don't know why that might be the case

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: November 24, 2018, 05:47:03 pm »

The original was completely built to sell a line of toys designed by women with the intent to appeal to elementary-age girls.  It obeyed the eighties ideology of being marginally educational or moralizing while having an episodic structure.  I really fail to see why there needed to be any active antagonism of the people who actually liked the old show*.

*I am not one of these people, I didn't really have any interest in either He-man or She-ra.  I still maintain that the reboot is insultingly written and incredibly badly made.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: November 24, 2018, 07:01:39 pm »

i... still fail to see how those things are related
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 200