Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 285822 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- Bill is watching.
« Reply #2700 on: November 24, 2018, 07:11:37 pm »

I assumed your comment was sarcasm.  If it was not I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: November 24, 2018, 07:14:54 pm »

It wasn't sarcasm at all, I'm legitimately asking

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: November 24, 2018, 07:23:55 pm »

The reboot goes out of its way to radically re-frame every element of the original, including total re-writes of every single character.  It aggressively seeks to eliminate any association with the old series and is quite willing to alienate everyone that might have had any attachment to it.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: November 24, 2018, 07:43:37 pm »

okay, that was not implied by any statement made previous so i was confused

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: November 30, 2018, 01:02:24 am »

I've finished catching up on current episodes of Craig of the Creek.
This is just a really good show, about kids playing in creative and fun ways. It's kinda like Clarence, but without annoyingly stupid protagonists. Also just a bit of KND flavor mixed in.
Episodes are short, and there is hardly any connected story arc, but every second is thoroughly enjoyable to watch. Definitely recommend.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: December 16, 2018, 02:43:40 pm »

Voltron Season 8 is here, and serves as the finale to this iteration of the giant robot story.
I'm sad to see it end, but also glad that Voltron was finally done justice. After all of the previous attempts got canceled in the middle and left us with more questions than answers, 'Voltron: Legendary Defender' gives us a well rounded cast of characters each with fully told backstories, and then lets them play out to their final conclusion.

I also attempted to watch a few episodes of 'The Shivering Truth'. This show is a whole lot of weird, and a whole lot of gross. The former can be stimulating at times...but the latter proved too grating for my delicate sensibilities. I shan't be returning to this.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: December 16, 2018, 02:58:40 pm »

Good grief, so many of the shows in here have awful anime art-styles.

I did quite like what I saw of F is For Family, though. It was perhaps a little weak but I could see it being more enjoyable as you get attached to the characters, even without it making any big changes between seasons... I'll have to watch s2 sometime!
I might check out Big Mouth sometime, too. Although I don't much like cheap crude humour or preachiness, and I'm not sure I'm that big a fan of shows in school settings either... whatever, I'll be sure to keep expectations low.

Since I'm posting in here, I want to recommend Final Space again.
At first glance it's just super-fun, over-the-top SPESS ADVENTURE, like the stream-of-consciousness ideas for action-packed space comics I'd come up with as a kid, but over time you realise it's actually very quite clever, with a lot of depth beneath its seemingly simple (or sometimes more on the surreal side) jokes.
Some guy named Olan Rogers voices the rambunctious, happy-go-lucky spaz of a main character. At first it seems like this guy could easily become irritating in the extreme, but in my experience at least he grew on me as the series possessed. The setting and graphics are all pretty sweet as well, again with the outwards cutesy-ness masking a surprising depth.   
Also there's the occasional cat-person, for those of you who are into that kinda thing, and also a fair few jokes about assigning cute cat attributes to dangerous aliens for those of you who aren't.

Not sure what else I should say. It's on Netflix! Oh and it also stars David Tennant and Conan O'Brien in supporting roles.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: January 04, 2019, 10:39:18 pm »

I recently stumbled on a new show called 3 Below. A little cursory research revealed it to be a spinoff of another show called Trollhunters. So I just finished binging that.

For a predictable 'chosen one' story aimed at young teens, Trollhunters is surprisingly watchable. There are a few minor plot holes and some pacing issues, and a few arcs that don't really go anywhere; but these shortcomings are largely countered by solid animation and music and likeable characters.

Also worth noting that the spinoff that just came out is only the second part of an intended trilogy, so there should end up being a lot of material to digest here.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: January 06, 2019, 11:23:44 pm »

I just finished the first season of 3Below.

I liked it a bit better than Trollhunters, though I think that's largely due to the studio having more experience at this point and thus being able to create a more stable and structured experience for the audience.
Some critics are upset that they mixed aliens into a fantasy setting, and I suppose that's fair. For my part, I thought the blending was done well and they managed to maintain the same general feel of the precursor.
I also very much appreciated the mixture of new content and old. This season was about 70% new stuff and 30% cameos, which worked out perfectly for my tastes.
My only real complaint is that the big-bad is once again just some random guy who wants to take over the world and kill anyone who gets in his way. That aspect could certainly have been handled in a more interesting way.

In other news, Young Justice Season 3 just started airing.
This one snuck up on me. I'm going to try to quickly re-watch the first two seasons before I start on the new stuff, as I recall this series being fairly heavily story-driven.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: January 08, 2019, 02:13:44 am »

Hilda is wonderful. Its delightful urban fantasy. I wish there was more.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: January 09, 2019, 11:10:02 pm »

Have there been any recent DC animated movies lately?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: January 10, 2019, 07:49:13 am »

Have there been any recent DC animated movies lately?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Universe_Animated_Original_Movies

Gotham by Gaslight, Suicide Squad, and Death of Superman were all from 2018.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: January 20, 2019, 11:07:30 am »

I finished re-watching Young Justice Seasons 1 and 2. They were a bit better than I remembered.

Then I got caught up on the current episodes of Season 3. It's even better imo, and most critics seem to agree.
The focus this season seems to be on the militarization of metahumans, and the inability of organized heroes to operate effectively under government oversight. And of course the looming threat of Apokalypse.
Each episode ends with rather somber music. I'm not sure if this is meant to be in memory of heroes lost along the way, or foreshadowing of things to come. Either way, it's quite powerful.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: January 21, 2019, 11:19:20 am »

I'll have to check it out. It's been so long...

3 Below was alright. Not as good as Trollhunters though.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- I coBill is watching.
« Reply #2714 on: January 21, 2019, 05:16:51 pm »

I couldnt even get through the pilot of Trollhunter.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 200