Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 285919 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- Bill is watching.
« Reply #2730 on: March 11, 2019, 01:06:40 am »

I just caught the new Della episode of Duck Tales. Totally worth the hype.
Loved the lullabye. Apparently it is a remix of the moon theme song from the DuckTales NES video game. Several other elements of the episode were also taken from that game.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:18:16 pm by Folly »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: March 12, 2019, 09:19:10 pm »

The fourth and final season of Star Butterfly is here.

It's off to a strong start, but I'm still sad this show is ending. They started way too many new story arcs in the last season, and there's just no way they will all get a satisfactory conclusion.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: March 15, 2019, 08:39:21 am »

Love Death + Robots is out on Netflix. A rather adult oriented series of short stories made by Blur studios.

Watched only the first one so far, pretty intense stuff, playing around with cyberpunk ideas in a pretty dark way. We'll see how the other episodes pan out but so far I'm on board.

Another thing to note, aside from looking absolutely gorgeous they actually bothered to have it in a non-shit framerate. It's amazing how much more enjoyable 3d animation is when it doesn't strain your eyes because they couldn't be bothered to make the animation smoother.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: March 25, 2019, 10:40:57 pm »

Just finished LD+R. Definitely a hit-or-miss compilation.
'Suits' and 'Three Robots' totally deserve to be made into full series.  The rest ranged from 'amusing but forgettable' to 'ugh, why did I just watch that?'.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: March 26, 2019, 12:05:34 pm »

I really liked Zima Blue, Three Robots and Helping Hand.  Most of them were at least entertaining though.  Blindspot was probably the most boring.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: March 26, 2019, 06:45:17 pm »

Zima Blue got a lot of positive feedback...I guess I'm just not artsy enough to appreciate that sort of thing.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: March 26, 2019, 09:20:30 pm »

I haven't seen all of them yet (I'm not so good w that much nudity) but 3 Robots was pretty outstanding. Sonny's Edge was ok.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: March 27, 2019, 04:32:25 am »

Pretty much everyone who's seen it loves the 3 robots, would love a mini-series or something of those three just going around the place and talking shit about humanity.

As for the rest, there's some hits and there's some misses. Some, like blindspot were a cool concept that could probably work as a feature film if worked on but kinda fell flat aside from the reveal (it really feels like a full film that someone had to condense to 10 minutes). Others like Lucky 13 are cool snippets of larger worlds and they're done pretty well as such. Then there's shit like the yoghurt episode which is probably on par with the 3 robots in my eyes.

Still, even with the meh ones, you're wasting 15 minutes at most so it doesn't feel that bad in the end, and as a whole the idea is cool and I'd love to see a second iteration with even more cool stuff.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: May 17, 2019, 08:38:22 am »

The latest DuckTales bomb has focused on Della's return and Darkwing's revival. Both are wonderful.
Though I kinda wish Darkwing would just get a spinoff at this point; he's completely derailed the other story arcs.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: May 19, 2019, 03:00:02 pm »

Star vs the Forces of Evil just ended.

The final season felt both forced and rushed. Relationships ended or were rekindled just to push the plot along, and conflicts were resolved by flipping the game board off the table. There were some good moments too, but ultimately I was left feeling disappointed.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: May 28, 2019, 10:23:42 pm »

I recently started watching RWBY, and am currently 1.5 seasons in. Episodes are short.
The animation quality and storyboarding are both at the level of a Playstation1 RPG. I hear both get better a bit further along though.
Music is great, and the epic fight scenes could give stickman some competition on a good day.
I'm optimistic for this one.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: June 05, 2019, 01:20:27 pm »

The late Monty Oum who did RWBY started out as an amateur doing machinima, i.e. fan animation using video game assets. That's his pedigree. I have a feeling pulling models from video games would shape his animation techniques quite a bit vs however Pixar does it, which would be quite different. Note that the guy had no formal training in any of that, he didn't even graduate high school.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: June 11, 2019, 08:52:45 am »

Two somewhat popular cartoons seem to be ending, The Amazing World of Gumball and OK K.O.

Gumball's ending was noteworthy in that it ended with the literal beginning of the end of the world in which it takes place. Some fans have speculated that the writers are hoping to get approved for a movie to give the series closure, but this seems to be pure wishfulness at this point.

OK K.O. has not actually been canceled or renewed for season 3, but there are two main rumors floating around about why it's unlikely to return.
The first rumor is that OKKO is directly competing with Steven Universe for renewal status, and SU just has the better ratings.
The second rumor is that OKKO hired a known loli artist for their staff, and when challenged on it multiple staff members publicly defended both the artist and his art, thus creating irreconcilable differences with the network.
Either way, OKKO second season ended with several unresolved story arcs and big mysteries unanswered, which has left fans somewhat disgruntled. Though at the same time, a major chunk of season 2 was spent on pure filler episodes, full of nothing but memes, references, and weak jokes. We really can't blame the network for not allowing the show to wrap things up when they squandered so much of their resources.

In other news, Final Space Season 2 is set to begin on the 24th of this month, so I will likely be re-watching the first season soon.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: June 11, 2019, 10:33:49 am »

First Woot! for Final Space Season 2.

Second, I thought SU was over??? They're considering bringing it back for more seasons? (not a terrible idea, until they find a cartoon as popular as itself, Adventure Time, or Regular Show)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: June 22, 2019, 07:46:45 am »

I finished Season 4 of RWBY.
The story absolutely picked up in Season 3. Now all the fighting has actual stakes, and the battles are beginning to take a real toll. Things actually got so intense that the characters spent most of Season 4 just recovering from the shock of it all, which was a bit of an adrenal step backwards, but it did allow for some more storytelling to expand upon the lore of the world.

Overall, definitely glad I gave this series a chance. 2 more seasons to go, with more on the horizon!
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 200