Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 285799 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- Bill is watching.
« Reply #2745 on: June 23, 2019, 03:10:46 am »

I finished Season 4 of RWBY.
The story absolutely picked up in Season 3. Now all the fighting has actual stakes, and the battles are beginning to take a real toll. Things actually got so intense that the characters spent most of Season 4 just recovering from the shock of it all, which was a bit of an adrenal step backwards, but it did allow for some more storytelling to expand upon the lore of the world.

Overall, definitely glad I gave this series a chance. 2 more seasons to go, with more on the horizon!
Season 4 was made after Monty Oum died, so it's no surprise it was different. That wasn't an intentional switch down in intensity. Series creator Monty didn't have any background as a *writer*, he started doing fan-battle machinima shorts and then got a job doing battle animation briefly for games. So, no surprise that story got more of a focus instead of grandiose battle scenes after that.

Monty died 2 months after season 2 ended, so they did most of the work for season 3 without him. Unfortunately the "the story really started to pick up in season 3" thing was probably because the original creator died, and he was a highschool drop-out who's only story telling experience was from video game fight animation. No offense to the dead, but if he didn't die then the later seasons would probably be just churning the same stuff he'd done for the rest of his career.

I'm not really sure I can be bothered to start it. I dropped it because I didn't like Monty's stuff, and the point that it got heaps better when things went off the rails due to the death of the original creator isn't really a strong selling point.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 03:26:33 am by Reelya »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: June 24, 2019, 11:11:57 pm »

Final Space S2 E1 is here.
Ugh, that was sooo bad. Was this made by a completely different studio or something? I just don't see how the quality can drop so far from season 1 to season 2. Really, hugely disappointing.
My biggest gripe is that this is in how they resolved the massive cliffhanger from season 1. A minor background character who had less than a single minute of screen time in season 1 inexplicably had a massive vocation change which by purely random chance happened to put him in the right place at the right time to save our hero. So lame. Also, now they're sending Gary on a fetch quest? Totally chiche. The new characters are bad. The changes to the old characters are bad. Everything about this is bad.
*sigh* Why?  :-[

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: July 01, 2019, 07:25:21 am »

Finished season 6 of RWBY. The last 2 seasons continued to be an even mix of action, drama, and storytelling. Looking forward to more. I'd also love to see more gen:LOCK, though without an official Season 2 announcement it's probably too much to hope for that any time soon.

I also started watching Amphibia, Disney's recent isekai cartoon from one of the directors of Gravity Falls.
The animation and music both strongly draw from what made Gravity Falls charming, and there also seems to be an underlying mystery that will be very slowly revealed amidst lots and lots of filler. However the humor much more closely resembles Futurama, with lots of bad puns and gags made bearable largely due to a cheerful and enthusiastic cast of characters. I consider this one quite watchable.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: July 13, 2019, 08:46:49 pm »

New seasons just appeared for Kung Fu Panda: Paws of Destiny, and also 3Below!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: July 16, 2019, 06:20:37 pm »

Season 2 of 3Below was an improvement. Towards the end it approaches Trollhunters in writing quality, and has some timely themes, though I felt a bit disappointed in the end.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: July 16, 2019, 08:04:53 pm »

Yes, it's over.
It hasn't been stated directly, but the general assumption is that 3Below was meant to be 3 seasons like Trollhunters, but had to be cut short due to lack of time since Wizards was promised to come this year.

Regarding Final Space, the first 3 episodes were all pretty terrible and it was beginning to look like the show was a lost cause. But episode 4 aired last night and went a long way towards redeeming the season. Easily one of the best episodes yet, from both seasons. Very dramatic, emotional, and with a surprising twist. Hopefully we will see more like this!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: July 18, 2019, 02:19:23 pm »

Amphibia Season 1 has ended.

Although most of the season was filler, it was amusing filler. The finale had lots of character development and plot advancement, but it also left a lot yet to be seen in future seasons. Looking forward to more, though I fear it will be a while.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: August 11, 2019, 03:25:37 pm »

I finished watching Paws of Destiny Season 2.
This season had a lot more character development than I've come to expect from Kung Fu Panda, with an evil villain with a tragic backstory and a pampered princess who has to learn how to fight for her throne. It all kind of fell apart at the end though, when everyone basically decided to forgive all that had happened and start playing nice with eachother.

Human Discoveries is a new show in the middle of it's first season, all about cavemen discovering both inventions and social conventions for the first time. Not exactly must-watch television, but I'm finding it consistently amusing and will continue to watch.

Mao Mao: Heroes of Pure Heart is a show that's about 60% cute and 40% awesome, with a ninja cat having epic fights with giant monsters to protect a village of cuties. Very light humor that is easy to watch, but also with just a bit of meta sprinkled in here and there.

Big Mouth recently announced that it has been approved for 3 more seasons, after the third season which will air soon! Someone at Netflix must really appreciate this show.

Young Justice has also been renewed for a Season 4, as it is currently nearing the end of Season 3. This show continues to be imo by far the best animated superhero drama on TV atm. So glad they brought it back.

Infinity Train season 1 recently aired. This miniseries definitely felt rushed. The twist was a bit predictable, and the resolution not wholly satisfying. But still enjoyable overall. This has also been renewed for another season; it will be interesting to see where the show goes, considering how neatly the first season was concluded.

I just watched Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling. It's a very fitting tribute to the original show. The messaging was more than a little bit heavy-handed though. A return of an old show, in which the plot is about bringing back an old show and enjoying what was while also embracing what has changed.

Archer Season 10 concluded, and Archer is finally back in the real world. This season was easily the best of the dream sequences, but I'm glad for a return to relative normalcy. The finale did conclude with an alarming twist however, and it will be interesting to see where that goes next season...

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: August 17, 2019, 03:31:33 pm »

The FLORPUS has arrived! And it is glorious!

Spoiler Alert: Zim is not a toilet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: August 19, 2019, 04:01:43 pm »

Got around to watching the Invader Zim special. It was amazing.

Was it actually real though, or merely a crazy dream caused by getting hit in the head?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: August 19, 2019, 07:37:18 pm »

Sadly I think this was supposed to be the last season of Archer? Which is a shame, I would like to see more of it

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: August 19, 2019, 11:00:45 pm »

This was the last season of the Archer side-stories. The series has definitely been renewed, and will be returning to the main continuity in Season 11.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: September 03, 2019, 05:06:11 am »

Steven Universe Movie is here.

It's a musical. And, big surprise, it culminates in Steven singing a sappy song to convince the bad guy to become a good guy. Also most of the screen time is spent on recapping previous character development.

Production values were fine, and the new character and new fusion were both neat, but otherwise the story was stale. At least it served as a bridge into the post-timeskip era where I assume the next season will take place.

By far my favorite part of this movie was the Adventure Time reference. I actually memorized that song when I first heard it, and find myself singing it sometimes~

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: September 03, 2019, 05:02:21 pm »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: September 10, 2019, 09:19:54 pm »

New episodes of Supermansion just appeared!
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 200