Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 285181 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- Bill is watching.
« Reply #2820 on: May 08, 2020, 11:40:37 pm »

Gasp!

Far sooner than anyone expected, a second season of Harley Quinn has appeared!
And it was good, and the people rejoiced.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.
« Reply #2821 on: May 09, 2020, 01:29:25 am »

First season of Solar Opposites just dropped on Hulu.

It appears to be set in the same multiverse as Rick and Morty...though that may just be a cosmetic connection due to it being made by the same people.

I'm only a few episodes in, but enjoying it so far. It's like R&M with less fart jokes, and less meta-arcs. Just more traditional episodic sitcom type stuff.
Huh, interesting - apparently there are still several more Rick and Morty episodes scheduled to come out over the next month or so, too, but perhaps that's just a last hurrah for the show before its creators move on to other stuff, like this Polar Opposites thingy?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: May 09, 2020, 08:04:10 am »

First season of Solar Opposites just dropped on Hulu.

It appears to be set in the same multiverse as Rick and Morty...though that may just be a cosmetic connection due to it being made by the same people.

I'm only a few episodes in, but enjoying it so far. It's like R&M with less fart jokes, and less meta-arcs. Just more traditional episodic sitcom type stuff.
Huh, interesting - apparently there are still several more Rick and Morty episodes scheduled to come out over the next month or so, too, but perhaps that's just a last hurrah for the show before its creators move on to other stuff, like this Polar Opposites thingy?   

I doubt it,

Dan Harmon is just a perfectionist (probably to RnM detriment) and Roiland is... more of a sketch artist so to speak, he's always been doing independent projects throughout RnM's development, I think this is just the natural conclusion to that.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: May 09, 2020, 08:22:11 pm »

I finished the first season of Solar Opposites.
That wall-world arc got pretty intense.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was disappointed with the resolution of the finale. That shit made no sense at all. But I am eager to see what purple means...

I also finished Midnight Gospel.
Honestly, I feel like the first few episodes would have been better watched on mute. The podcast stuff had no relation at all to the action, and the latter was far more interesting than the former.
But gradually the podcasts became more relevant and interesting, and the finale had a lot of feels. I wouldn't mind watching more, if it gets a second season. So far the creators have been keeping quiet on that subject, which isn't a 'no'.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: May 16, 2020, 08:41:10 pm »

Just binged both seasons of The Hollow. It's a show about some kids who wake up with no memories, in a setting full of mysteries.

Dialogue is terrible. Plot twists are very predictable. Animation isn't great. Second season was only slightly better than the first, on all counts.

Overall, I'm calling this one barely watchable.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: May 20, 2020, 05:15:03 am »

I recently got caught up on the current episodes of Glitch Techs, a show about video game monsters who come to life and the kids who are given sci-fi gadgets to battle them.

Now yes, this sounds like the worst premise for a story ever, and it really is. But I read some positive reviews and decided to give it a shot, and I was pleasantly surprised.

First of all, the video games references are absolutely spot-on. I've played a lots of different video games over the years, and this show does an excellent job of showcasing what makes different genres unique and fun. Beyond that, the jokes are amusing, the characters are distinct and likeable, music is awesome, and the animation looks great. There are even hints that the ridiculous premise might be salvaged through an eventual reveal of mysterious and nefarious forces working behind the scenes to make these unlikely scenarios somehow plausible.

Definitely recommend giving this one a chance.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: May 22, 2020, 11:26:12 am »

So I also just finished Solar Opposites. First of all, it was much better than I expected it to be--on the other hand, it's way too similar to Rick and Morty. That said, it's best episodes definitely stand out and put it apart as a legit collab between Roiland and McMahan. It's worst are very filler-y.

Overall I'm looking forward to S2, I suspect Roiland and McMahan will continue to evolve it in a positive direction.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: May 22, 2020, 06:37:52 pm »

I am actually a fan of The Hollow. Need to finish season 2 still, but they got more budget than the absolute shoestring they were using for S1, and it really paid off. Better sets, and enjoyable world/monster design.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: June 04, 2020, 12:31:42 am »

I finished watching Dr Havoc's Diary.

Animation quality is very basic, with stopmotion dolls whose mouths and fingers don't move, and episodes are 5-10 minutes each. So, measured expectations.
For what it is, the show is fairly amusing. A bit of drama and intrigue amongst a lot of filler, and both are pretty funny. I'd recommend it.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: June 13, 2020, 12:19:00 am »

Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts Season 2 and F is for Family Season 4 have appeared! Our cup runneth over!

Also a first season of some show called Crossing Swords just dropped on Hulu. Gonna add it to my backlog and check it out later.

Apple recently began airing a show called Central Park, from the creators of Bob's Burgers. It's a musical.
4 episodes in, I'm enjoying it only slightly less than Bob's Burgers, but that's still pretty good. It's entertaining, but nothing about it really wows me.

Edit:
Finished watching new seasons of Kipo and F. Both had interesting new story developments and maintained the quality from previous seasons. Looking forward to more!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:21:04 am by Folly »

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: June 14, 2020, 09:55:29 pm »

Season 5 of She-Ra has a plump helmet man.

That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: June 15, 2020, 12:25:21 am »

Just a purple mushroom man, or is it actually called a plump helmet man?

It's important for the level of glee from me it deserved :D
Love, scriver~

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: June 30, 2020, 09:22:42 pm »

Just finished She-Ra... so good I'm in a funk lol, I just need to process how awesome the show is.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: July 04, 2020, 09:56:24 pm »

I finished watching the first season of Crossing Swords on Hulu.

It's very funny! And with a decent story too.
Animation is a bit simple, with the characters having no arms or legs; but otherwise the visuals are very well done, and music sounds good as well.
Definitely would recommend this one.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: July 13, 2020, 03:51:49 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 200