Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 286058 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. Batman > You
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2012, 09:51:57 pm »

Didn't that get a kinda' subpar video game port? *goes and checks* Aha, it did!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2012, 09:59:27 pm »

Swat Kats

There are two kinds of people that read that, the kind that go "huh?" and the kind that are awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AdxJWFUh4
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2012, 10:02:34 pm »

There are two kinds of people that read that, the kind that go "huh?" and the kind that are awesome.

I'm very glad to be in the later category.  It had its issues, sure, but it was damn cool to look at.

Now, Road Rovers?  You'd be forgiven.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2012, 10:03:52 pm »

If this is going to get into childhood shows does that mean we are going to end up in Biker Mice from Mars and Street sharks?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2012, 10:05:46 pm »

If this is going to get into childhood shows does that mean we are going to end up in Biker Mice from Mars and Street sharks?

Yes, yes it does.  And you brought us there.  So hey, who else has the faintest memory of Danger Mouse?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2012, 10:06:17 pm »

I actually remembered road rovers after seeing the intro in the related videos thing.

Anyway, Exosquad? Exosquad. I seriously need to actually go and watch through that at some point. Saw a good chunk when I was younger, but remember basically none of it. Still have a toy suit laying around somewhere in mostly one piece.
Apparently!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2012, 10:15:24 pm »

Oh God, Swat Kats. I wished I was old enough to appreciate that kind of workmanship when it was still on air.

I know I might catch some flak for this, but I thought the Godzilla animated series was pretty good, it was certainly the only redeemable thing that came out of the movie

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2012, 10:26:41 pm »

Biker Mice from mars is probably the most 90s show there ever was with a TERRIBLE remake.

Street Sharks I will fight that it was sorta good. It didn't outright ignore the fact that the heros were transformed into monsters (even if in the end only the Orca seemed to care)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2012, 10:29:58 pm »

Swat Katz for the win. I still have surprisingly vivid memories of that show.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2012, 10:45:48 pm »

Swat Katz for the win. I still have surprisingly vivid memories of that show.

Truthfully it wasn't around when I was growing up.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2012, 11:53:09 pm »

Yes, yes it does.  And you brought us there.  So hey, who else has the faintest memory of Danger Mouse?

Fuckin' Danger Mouse. Man I used to spend so much time watching Nickelodeon just for shows like it. And then Nick at Nite would come on and you'd know your fun was over.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2012, 11:55:03 pm »

Fuckin' Danger Mouse. Man I used to spend so much time watching Nickelodeon just for shows like it. And then Nick at Nite would come on and you'd know your fun was over.

Didn't get that either.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2012, 08:03:10 am »

Two seasons into superman now! One to go.

It's gotten a lot better. It's still no Batman, but the villains are getting a bit more depth, more heroes than Superman are showing up (so someone less boring gets screen time), and a lot more comedy. I'm also appreciating some of Justice League more now that I know some backstory.

Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2012, 09:12:22 am »

Now this is a thread I can sink my teeth into.

I grew up watching the classics: Tex Avery, Chuck Jones, Bob Clampett. We had a local independent TV station that would run like 3 hours of Tom and Jerry, Droopy, Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies every afternoon. It was glorious. I'm extending that on to my kids with the umpteen gigs of cartoons on the HD. My daugher is already a Tex Avery fan.

While perusing Netflix, she also got into a Fat Albert binge, which is just bizarre. I mean, I saw it when it was still relatively new, and even then I could sort of tell that I wasn't the intended audience.

Other cartoons I remember from early childhood:
Journey to the Center of the Earth (Filmation) -- I distinctly remember being pissed because this got interrupted by the news because some guy named Reagan had been shot.  :P

Heckle & Jeckle -- Funny as a kid, kind of wince-inducing as an adult.

The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show -- I was never a huge fan of the main show, but the assorted cartoons that came with it were awesomesauce: Peabody's Improbable History, Fractured Fairy Tales, Aesop & Son and The World of Commander McBragg. Dudley Do-Right was meh. But I think the whole "playing with history" thing about Peabody & Sherman and Commander McBragg...that really appealed to me. And the bad puns. Oh dear god, the bad puns....

Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales -- actually a subsidiary toon of the Underdog show,  but I preferred this to Underdog. In many ways a precursor to Pinky and the Brain: a bright, scheming (but often nonsensical) talking animal comes up with convoluted plans (which invariably fail) with the assistance of his dim-witted sidekick.

Then during the 80's, there was Saturday mornings (and afternoon TV). Too many to list, so I'll just rattle off some favorites:
Dungeons & Dragons
Mighty Orbots
Inhumanoids
The Adventures of the Gummi Bears
The Real Ghostbusters!
Thundercats
Silverhawks (which was basically Thundercats IN SPAAAAACE!)
TigerSharks (which was both of the above...IN WATER!)
Dragon's Lair/Space Ace
G.I. Joe (kind of mandatory)
Transformers (ditto)
Voltron (ditto)
US Acres (the side-run with Garfield and Friends...actually better than Garfield for the most part)
DuckTales
Chip'n'Dale's Rescue Rangers
TaleSpin
He-Man
Muppet Babies (say what you will, it had better-than-average writing, especially the pop culture parody stuff)
Robotix (mostly existed as a animated pitch for the toysets...which I had)
Super Friends (the Wonder Twins--making the fistbump cool decades before their time)

We didn't have cable, so I only rarely caught gems like Dangermouse and Count Duckula.

Then came the 90's. Things got more ironic, hipper, edgier. I spent many, many hours in college watching:
Duckman
Animaniacs
Tiny Toons
Rocko's Modern World
The Maxx
Aeon Flux
2 Stupid Dogs
Cow and Chicken (and its spinoff, I.M. Weasel)
The Critic
Daria
Dexter's Laboratory
Gargoyles
The Tick
Pirates of Darkwater
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Histeria! (an oft-overlooked gem from the same team that did Tiny Toons and Animaniacs...had the same "fucked-up history" vibe as Peabody and Sherman or Commander McBragg)

Seriously...I remember two snippets of Histeria that absolutely sold me on this show. The first was a segment on Leonardo DaVinci, called "Renaissance Man" where he was basically the medieval version of Batman, using contraptions that he designed and built. The second was a segment on Sherman's march to the sea. On a fucking kid's cartoon. And it was done as cross between a Ken Burns documentary...and Pee-Wee's Playhouse. With your host, Pee-Wee Sherman. ("The secret word of the day is...TOTAL WAR!")  :o  :D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:18:51 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2012, 09:43:57 am »

Ooh, Gummi Bears! Now there's a wacky idea turned incredibly, inexplicably good. I'm not sure how or why they came up with a deep, detailed medieval fantasy setting out of candy. Seriously, they had continuity, a detailed history, and good characterization. It's like the 80s version of Friendship is Magic.

And as long as we're listing off 80s cartoons, no discussion is complete without Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. Cheese in its most distilled form.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 200