Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 281821 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:32:37 pm »

In light of the success of the anime thread, and the constant deaths and moratoriums of the threads made for specific cartoons, I thought we might be able to have an all-in-one cartoon thread.

Rules: Same rules as the rest of the forum, mostly. But some specific stuff:

- What counts as western animation? Basically anything that isn't anime. If it was made in the Americas or Europe, it likely goes here. This includes animesque stuff like Avatar.
- Western print media with an emphasis on drawn visuals (ie, comic books, newspaper comics, etc) are now allowed and encouraged as well.
- Respect. Respect other people's opinions, no matter how popular or unpopular said opinions may be. Please refrain from unfairly lambasting shows you don't like, or thinking shows you do like are sacred cows that can't be criticized. Debating and analyzing things is fine, just nothing drama-inducing.
- Currently not allowing MLP discussion. If you don't know why, don't ask. (Zero tolerance on bringing up old drama. Period) Feel free, however, to join the off site forum and talk about it with us there! But since MLP is probably one of the most influential cartoons in the last decade or so, it's impossible to ignore. As such...
- Concerning the tone of the thread: I'm easygoing. If you wanna do a Goku vs Superman fight, go for it. And if you want to discuss something on the exact opposite of the seriousness scale, like portrayal of female characters in children's media, then go for it as well. The thread's pretty spastic so you should be able to guide it wherever you want if you're itching to discuss something.
- If you're still reading this, you're awesome. Also, YOUR HEART'S ON FIRE AND THE FIRE IS IN YOUR HEART!

Now, some of you might be thinking, isn't western animation for kids? Shouldn't you have moved on to more "mature" media, you silly manchildren? All I can say to that is, that's not funny.
Others might be asking, haven't cartoons gone down the drain in recent years? Sure they were great when *I* was a kid, but not now! To that I respond, you people need some recommendations! Ever heard of Avatar, the Last Airbender? Adventure Time? My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated? Hell, even Looney Tunes is occasionally awesome. Lots of great stuff has come out in recent years, just ask.

So yeah, post about cartoons or cartoon related news here.

Anywho, enough introductions. Currently I'm finishing up the DCAU and watching Superman the Animated Series. I've already seen Batman/Batman Beyond/Justice League, and this is the last one I'm interested in watching in that continuity (not planning to see Static Shock or the Zeta Project). So far it's pretty much how I expected... Boring. Superman being Superman, there's not much dramatic tension since you know he's going to win (even more so than normal). So they tried to make up for it by making Superman flashy. Note that the fight scenes tend to be the most boring for me in superhero cartoons, so those scenes being so focused means I'm yawning a lot. That's not to say the show's bad; some episodes are great! It just seems inversely proportional to how much screen time Superman gets. The more he gets, the worse the episode. The best episodes are about the villains having troubles and conflict, while Superman just flies in and resolves the conflict at the very end.

Also it's kinda weird; I guess I watched this show as a kid more than I thought. I recognize quite a few of the episodes, however vaguely. I figured I was more into Batman back then, but I guess not.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:11:48 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. Batman > You
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:37:15 pm »

From what I remember, the villains were the best part of the Superman cartoon.  Of course, I grew up watching practically nothing but Kids WB.  There are some Animaniacs shorts on Youtube that are definitely worth watching just to see how much stuff they sneaked past the censors.  I haven't checked to see if there are any Pinky & the Brain.

And Static Shock, from what I remember, was okay; not great.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 09:40:36 pm »

This thread is now about Ninja Turtles.

Actually, no... But I'm kinda sick from watching too much anime and finding out that it has at least 5% sexual fanservice.

Aside from Avatar and Adventure Time, what cartoons are worth watching to kill time?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 09:49:24 pm »

This thread is now about Ninja Turtles.
You know, I actually don't like the 80s cartoon. With the original comic books, I hated whenever they went into space and fought weird monsters, but loved the down-to-earth ones. Guess which storylines they focused on in the cartoon.

The live action 1990 film is the best adaptation I've seen. I do need to try out the early 00s cartoon though; I hear it's pretty good.

Aside from Avatar and Adventure Time, what cartoons are worth watching to kill time?
Well, besides the ones I posted in the OP, maybe Dan Vs? (can't find it on youtube since they seem to be nuking clips of that show)
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:51:45 pm »

I'll check that later.

And I just remembered about Invader Zim, so I might also watch that later too.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 09:57:50 pm »

I greatly prefer western animation to *shudder* anime. Don't ask why, because someone's feelings will probably be hurt. In fact, I was just the other day watching some old Soviet cartoons (still counts as western right? I mean technically it's eastern-western animation). I'd highly recommend this piece of art.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 10:00:30 pm »

Being asinine about what counts as "western animation" would be counter productive :P So yeah, that sort of thing is just fine.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:07:23 pm »

kaijyuu nice signature for this thread hehe. :D

Anyway yeah I do prefer western animations (cartoons), but there are some worthwhile japanese animations hanging around. Not that I want to discuss them here.

Anyway, edd, ed, and eddy. Common, probably my favorite cartoon when I was little. That and samurai jack, what a badass. Actually, I'm pretty sure him and Dr. McNinja must be related somehow.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 10:13:58 pm »

Has anyone here seen Aeon Flux? The original animated show, not the abysmal live-action movie some guys made for some reason. One of the most interesting and bizarre animated works I've ever seen, and the DVD box set was very much worth it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 10:16:00 pm »

Anyway, edd, ed, and eddy. Common, probably my favorite cartoon when I was little.

This was actually a really interesting show when you got down to it, especially for it's intended audience, when you realize that the protagonists were also kinda sorta the villains.  I say kinda sorta, because the other side to it was that every characters was thoroughly dislikable in their own special way, so it's hard to say they were much of villains.

And they had better adventures than me and my dumb friends.

Has anyone here seen Aeon Flux? The original animated show, not the abysmal live-action movie some guys made for some reason. One of the most interesting and bizarre animated works I've ever seen, and the DVD box set was very much worth it.

I actually did see the show a handful of times, back when it was actually on-air.  I remember virtually nothing about it.  Hey, you remember those other MTV shows?  Like that one with the guy with the giant head and something about aliens?  I don't know what that was.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 10:19:14 pm »

I actually did see the show a handful of times, back when it was actually on-air.  I remember virtually nothing about it.  Hey, you remember those other MTV shows?  Like that one with the guy with the giant head and something about aliens?  I don't know what that was.

The first time I saw Aeon Flux, it was something like 4:30AM and I had absolutely no idea what was going on. It was definitely a trip.

And yeah, I remember "The Head", from "MTV's Oddities". I think that's what they were called, anyway. The guy had a little purple alien dude living in his skull.

It's amazing to think that there was once a time when MTV was actually responsible for pushing the creative envelope rather than holding it back or shoving it through the shredder.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 10:28:33 pm »

Challenge of the Super Friends, best cartoon bar none. 

The humorous but sinister, Riddler!
Shoes...

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 10:43:37 pm »

This is one of those threads that makes me scared to go to sleep at night cause I know I'll have 6 pages to read in the morning.

See you in 8 hours. :D

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 10:47:46 pm »

Challenge of the Super Friends, best cartoon bar none. 

SOLOMON GRUNDY WANT PANTS TOO

In slightly more serious stories, I'm honestly amazed how well Rocko's Modern Life prepared me for being 20-ish.  I shouldn't feel profound watching that show.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 12:07:39 am »

I think superhero cartoons are about the only animation I watch now that isn't anime. Batman in particular. I wouldn't mind seeing Justice League either just because Batman's there.

Personally I enjoy comic series like Human Target, Gotham Central, Sleeper, Soloman Kane, etc. The problem is that there isn't animation for any of them to my knowledge. It seems like comic cartoons have vanished with the exception of cartoon movies.

Has there been any good animation within the last 5 years? I wouldn't mind seeing something new.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 200