Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 281828 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. Batman > You
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 12:13:28 am »

I can't get over that one instance on Superfriends where they were all "Superman is Missing! what will we do! we have to find Superman!"

And Superman was sitting at the conference table with them right there.

I loathe Hanna Barbera soooo much.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 12:14:24 am »

I can't get over that one instance on Superfriends where they were all "Superman is Missing! what will we do! we have to find Superman!"

And Superman was sitting at the conference table with them right there.

I loathe Hanna Barbera soooo much.

What, you're saying their comedy sucks?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 12:16:11 am »

Right now in terms of western animation I am trying to find a way to complete  my watching of Captain Planet

It is honestly a epically stupid and hillarious show that sometimes actually enters the domain of genuinly good.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 12:19:34 am »

I will forever adore Captain Planet, if only because it gave me an excuse to play him in a skit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 12:25:51 am »

I will forever adore Captain Planet, if only because it gave me an excuse to play him in a skit.

I even have EXACTLY how his powers work entirely thought through.

You would think that the ability of "Power over five elements" and weakness of "polution" would be easy to understand... but no it is more complex then even that.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 12:33:38 am »

I think the type of animation where the "west" excels is stop-motion stuff.

There is a LOT of good stop motion stuff. Pretty much anything made by Aardman Animations (the Wallace and Grommit guys) is quality, robot chicken too.

CG has a couple nice things, Starship Troopers for example was really fun.

IF we're going to talk about kids shows, I love the art style for Martha speaks. Mostly been exposed to it via various kids I've had to watch, but it's not bad. I love it when you can take any frame from a show and it would fit perfectly into a storybook without anyone ever realize it was from an animated series.

Could never get into any of the superhero stuff. Except Space Ghost (and all the various subshows and spinoffs thereof).

As far as classic western animation style (which I like to call 'cheapo crap style') - Sealab, all the way. :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:35:18 am by GlyphGryph »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 12:40:40 am »

Well if you want a great show that had a great storyline and characterisation... Reboot.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 12:44:04 am »

Seriously? I thought Reboot was... tolerable, but that's about it.

I suppose it didn't help that I felt like it was assaulting every ounce of my aesthetic sense every time I looked at it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 12:44:38 am »

Seriously? I thought Reboot was... tolerable, but that's about it.

I suppose it didn't help that I felt like it was assaulting every ounce of my aesthetic sense every time I looked at it.

Yeah that would kill it for you alright.

I cannot imagine it being bearable if you didn't like the aestetics.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 12:47:00 am »

You would think that the ability of "Power over five elements" and weakness of "polution" would be easy to understand... but no it is more complex then even that.

Midichlorians?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 12:48:07 am »

Neonivek,
And other than that, I dunno, it just felt sort of... cliche. I caught maybe a dozen episodes before deciding it wasn't worth watching no matter how bored I was.

Note to self: talk about Ferngully, Serendipity: The Pink Dinosaur, and The Little Blue Penguin for real blasts to the past later. Wait... are we doing animated moves too, or is this just for TV shows?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 01:05:54 am »

Movies are fine!

And I loved Ferngully. The bad guy made of smoke is pretty damn awesome. Haven't seen that movie in ages.

Has there been any good animation within the last 5 years? I wouldn't mind seeing something new.
Superhero specifically? I'm not sure. The latest Batman cartoon (Brave and the Bold) I haven't seen, but supposedly it's an outright comedy. A new Batman series is coming out next year that's going to be more "serious."

As for other superheroes, honestly I have no idea. I do know that DC has been making a lot of animated movies, and of the couple I've seen of those they're pretty decent. The plot kinda sucked in this one but it had awesome choreography.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:14:54 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 01:22:13 am »

My current project is Legend of Korra.   So far I've only seen the first episode, but it looks good.

Hmm... Avatar TLA, Batman TAS, best ever.  I haven't really watched that much animated stuff, eastern or western, mostly just stick with checking out shows TVTropes says are good :P
I remember and Samurai Jack and Justice League were great.  Static Shock and Codename KND were fun too, but I never really watched enough to remember whether they were actually good.
I'm staying away from FIM, for now, I don't want to get sucked into it.
I'm sure there's other stuff I've forgotten, too.  My, I used quite a few abbreviations up there, didn't I?

Oh yeah, and Pixar.  I love Pixar, can't go without mentioning them.   Their stuff is incredible.

Edit: how could we all forget the Simpsons?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:52:05 am by Remalle »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 01:24:37 am »

I actually meant in general. Although I like superhero comics I just like a good story. It's the reason I haven't dropped anime yet. There are a lot of good stories there.

A new Batman series is coming out next year that's going to be more "serious."

I hope that they are really planning on Batman looking like that. It looks pretty bad. Even if the story is good I'm not sure if I could stomach the character design. Wide heads is a very odd design choice.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 01:28:45 am »

Midichlorians?

Well think of it this way. Why doesn't he lose his powers when he flies over a volcano?

Why does he lose power when he is hit with ultraviolet radiation... yet he is powered by the sun?

Heck why does radiation effect him at all since the earth itself is composed of radiation?

The answer: He isn't affected by polution he is affected by Man MADE polution and elements removed from nature. So he could handle oil just fine if he walked up to a natural deposit. But if you put that oil in a bucket and flung it at him...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 200