Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 281842 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. Batman > You
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 01:30:49 am »

No one has mentioned Daria yet? :(  If you were ever a sarcastic teenager who felt alienated from the rest of the human race, this show was for you.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 01:31:27 am »

@The Fool
Well all the stuff I mentioned in the OP (MLP:FiM, Avatar, Adventure Time, Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated) came out in the last 5 years and I thought them all somewhere between good and awesome. (except Adventure Time, which I've only seen 2 episodes of so I can't give a truthful opinion of it yet, beyond good first impressions).

And yeah the designs look weird. I'll need to see a bigger picture than that before passing judgment, though.

The Batman's designs kinda weirded me out too; the big eyes almost look like bug eyes, and is it just me or are they always a tad too high up on the face? Some perspectives make it look like their eyes are plastered on their forehead; might just be Batman's cowl, I dunno.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 01:33:46 am »

I think superhero cartoons are about the only animation I watch now that isn't anime. Batman in particular. I wouldn't mind seeing Justice League either just because Batman's there.

Personally I enjoy comic series like Human Target, Gotham Central, Sleeper, Soloman Kane, etc. The problem is that there isn't animation for any of them to my knowledge. It seems like comic cartoons have vanished with the exception of cartoon movies.

Has there been any good animation within the last 5 years? I wouldn't mind seeing something new.
There has been ton of great stuff. Off the top of my head: Young Justice. Legend of Korra. Archer.

There been a lot of praise for Adventure Time. Chowder is great whimsical fun.
----
On the new batman series:

I dont think Batman would work with anyone long term that uses firearms.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:35:44 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 01:38:36 am »

I noticed that too. Alfred with a gun doesn't sound too unreasonable... except when around Batman. I'm not too versed on the original comic book Alfred, but isn't he a secret agent dude? Makes sense that he'd know how to use a gun, I just don't think Bruce would ever let him.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 01:39:49 am »

No one has mentioned Daria yet? :(  If you were ever a sarcastic teenager who felt alienated from the rest of the human race, this show was for you.

Yeah but that is all but impossible to find episodes for.

Also call me crazy... but I actually... don't like adventure time. I don't know why but other then a few episodes I just can't make myself like it.

Then again I really liked Chowder and I didn't like Flapjack.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 01:44:47 am »

TomTom sells a Daria voice for their GPS units.

I have never regretted not owning a proper GPS unit more.

Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 01:51:46 am »

I noticed that too. Alfred with a gun doesn't sound too unreasonable... except when around Batman. I'm not too versed on the original comic book Alfred, but isn't he a secret agent dude? Makes sense that he'd know how to use a gun, I just don't think Bruce would ever let him.
Alfred exact backrground varies. But he always been in a service of some sorta. Hes generally a veteran, with very good first aid skills.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 02:21:35 am »

Also call me crazy... but I actually... don't like adventure time. I don't know why but other then a few episodes I just can't make myself like it.
To be perfectly honest, I don't actually like a lot of adventure time a lot of the stuff in the episodes kinda wears on me (especially the earlier episodes where it tends to be more complete randomness rather than the more structured randomness of later episodes) but I've always felt the times when it's brilliant make up for it. But you don't have to like adventure time, I'm not going to think worse of you for not liking something I like (and I doubt anyone else will).

I've got to be direct.
Lalala
If I'm wrong, please correct.
Lalala
You're standing on my neck.
Lalala
You're standing on my neck.

Yeah, I was one of those teenagers who felt alienated (although I didn't actually discover Daria until I was technically no longer a teenager), and it really reminded me of the kind of attitudes you saw in the clique I circulated in later in high school. Also Daria sounds a hell of a lot like an old friend of mine.

It's honestly amazing that the creators of Beavis and Butthead cam up with it, I mean, I really hate Beavis and Butthead, but Daria is just so brilliant and so different...

Anyway, err, nobody seems to have mentioned Invader Zim yet. It's a really brilliant show with a quirky art style I've always enjoyed.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 09:35:57 am »

I can't say that animated series of western progeniture are my slice of bread, although I do watch animated feature films from time to time. Here's a few interesting ones I know:
(links to trailers on youtube)

The Secret of Kells - myths and history of the British isles are blended to tell a coming of age tale, with visual and aural grandeur. The unique animation style mimics the simple, yet intricate illuminations of the titular artifact. It's one of my favourite films, animated or not.

The Triplets of Belleville - a really trippy and technically impressive film, with the big drawback of being rather boring. Some really memorable scenes are worth sitting through its overly long run.

Metropia - An Orwellian world and story, reminescent of Terry Gilliam's Brazil. The visual style is very unsettling, with actors' faces kind of "grafted" onto CGI animated puppets. The story doesn't have much of an impact, though. Or maybe it's just me being too jaded.

Persepolis - Another coming of age story, this time with an Iranian girl at its centre. Mostly kept in black and white, this comic book adaptation is at times observant, darkly humorous and poignant.

Immortal: Ad vitam - (note: the trailer doesn't do it justice) An adaptation of one of Enki Bilal's comic books (which you should check by the way) merging live-acting with CGI animation. Looks jarringly odd at times, but if you can get over this, the film gets quite interesting.
The story concerns... nah, it's too weird and complicated to describe.

Waltz with Bashir - A sort of documentary, concerning the Lebanon War of 1982. It's got a dreamy feel to it, almost nightmarish but not quite, despite being a very realistic depiction of war. Worth seeing.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 10:16:13 am »

I can't say that animated series of western progeniture are my slice of bread, although I do watch animated feature films from time to time. Here's a few interesting ones I know:
(links to trailers on youtube)

The Secret of Kells - myths and history of the British isles are blended to tell a coming of age tale, with visual and aural grandeur. The unique animation style mimics the simple, yet intricate illuminations of the titular artifact. It's one of my favourite films, animated or not.

The Triplets of Belleville - a really trippy and technically impressive film, with the big drawback of being rather boring. Some really memorable scenes are worth sitting through its overly long run.

Metropia - An Orwellian world and story, reminescent of Terry Gilliam's Brazil. The visual style is very unsettling, with actors' faces kind of "grafted" onto CGI animated puppets. The story doesn't have much of an impact, though. Or maybe it's just me being too jaded.

Persepolis - Another coming of age story, this time with an Iranian girl at its centre. Mostly kept in black and white, this comic book adaptation is at times observant, darkly humorous and poignant.

Immortal: Ad vitam - (note: the trailer doesn't do it justice) An adaptation of one of Enki Bilal's comic books (which you should check by the way) merging live-acting with CGI animation. Looks jarringly odd at times, but if you can get over this, the film gets quite interesting.
The story concerns... nah, it's too weird and complicated to describe.

Waltz with Bashir - A sort of documentary, concerning the Lebanon War of 1982. It's got a dreamy feel to it, almost nightmarish but not quite, despite being a very realistic depiction of war. Worth seeing.

The two that I've already seen from there were fantastic, so I'll be sure to watch the rest of them.

Daria was a good show, but I grew up on it, so I've seen most if not all the episodes. If I ever buy a GPS I'll be sure to get one with her voice.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 10:25:51 am »

I recently learned something. You know Adventure Time?

Yeah, the creators confirmed that it took place on a post-apocalyptic Earth after a nuclear war. The title sequence shows remains of nuclear weapons, which are also shown pretty much everywhere. The only human is Finn, all human-looking-people are "humanoids".
It was also confirmed that the Ice King was a Middle-Eastern man, and the crown kept him alive. Marceline was mutated into a vampire. Everyone else is just mutants.

Ooo is the remains of a continent that has broken apart, and you can actually see in a few episodes a giant gaping crater where Russia would have been. One that takes up about a quarter of the planet's surface.

Also, wasn't Xiaolin Showdown a western animation? Because it was pretty good, if I recall.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 10:28:19 am »

I just wanted to say that I've been watching Avatar:  The Last Airbender recently, and its really very good.  I really thought it was just going to be another dumb kids show but I was completely wrong.  If there is any show right now that really demonstrates Western Animation at its best, its got to be this show.

Of others I've liked are mostly superhero related:

- Batman (not the newest ones, but the long running one from 1992)
- Young Justice
- Justice League
- TMNT 2005
- Static Shock
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 11:26:36 am »

This thread is now about Ninja Turtles.

Actually, no... But I'm kinda sick from watching too much anime and finding out that it has at least 5% sexual fanservice.

Aside from Avatar and Adventure Time, what cartoons are worth watching to kill time?

The regular show is good, I haven't watched in a while though.

Man, these cartoons nowadays are pretty fucked up. Regular show and Adventure time get a TON of sexual jokes past the radar. It's like when I used to watch invader zim as a kid, but better.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 11:39:42 am »

I just wanted to say that I've been watching Avatar:  The Last Airbender recently, and its really very good.  [...]  If there is any show right now that really demonstrates Western Animation at its best, its got to be this show.
Considering it's pretty much an anime in every way except the nationality/location of the people who made it, I'm not sure how much of a complement that is :P

Though to be fair it's got a lot of western charm in it too. The animation isn't as stiff as most anime, plenty of western culture references snuck past the asian theme, it doesn't have the mountain of filler that most shonen animes do. A good chunk of the humor is distinctly Western too. Hell, my favorite episode's probably "Zuko Alone," which is essentially a Western (as in, cowboys. Specifically the novel 'Shane.") with swords and magic! But if you had to pick the cartoon for "most anime influenced," it'd definitely be Avatar.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 11:42:20 am »

But aren't most Westerns Korean or Italian?

I suppose the Italian type is still "western", but the was the episode more "Korean Western" or "Italian Western"?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 200