Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 281920 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- Bill is watching.
« Reply #2775 on: October 29, 2019, 08:32:50 am »

I also saw the first episode. As usual, Genndy is pretty much an animation genius. I mean, I recommend it to anyone who likes Sam J or just action animation in general. It so... technically perfect that I actually don't have much to say on it.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: October 29, 2019, 10:31:03 am »

Bojack season 6 is here!

Most of it, at least (finale's not out yet).

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: November 03, 2019, 10:22:41 pm »

RWBY season 7 has begun!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: November 24, 2019, 01:42:54 pm »

Dragon Prince Season 3 is here!

I just finished binging it. Like the previous seasons, it was a bit of a mix between rushed story and tedious filler. Still, overall it was the best season yet.
The producers revealed that they expect this show to have 3 major story arcs, each consisting of 3 seasons, so this was the end of the first major arc. And it had all the elements of a great finale, including a massive battle, dragons, romance, magic, and creepy villains going too far.
This show has definitely moved up in my esteem from 'mildly interesting' to 'much hype', and I can't wait to see what happens next!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: November 26, 2019, 04:14:11 am »

So far Rick and Morty has been pretty fun, even though the missus actually Buzz Killington'D me, the Killingtoniest Buzz Massacring Buzz Killington of All when I noted someone asking why our universe doesn't have Musklas and she said "uh, because the company is named Tesla?" to my utter fucking shock and admiration.

To date though I haven't seen anyone comment on the shape of the bomb Rick left for Tony, it kinda looked like a weird pumpkin to me, and she pointed out that's because it's a blumpkin.

She's a hoot.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: December 20, 2019, 10:33:31 pm »

I finally finished Adventure Time! It's one of the best damn cartoons I've ever watched; I don't think there was a single episode that I didn't like. It reminded me of being a kid and making up my own story for my action figures and LEGO people. It portrays the heaviness and tragedy of growing up in perhaps the most tasteful, least heavy-handed way I've ever seen.

The finale was awesome, but unfortunately I'm left with a lot of mixed feelings. I feel like a few characters didn't really get their day in the sun, and the entire last season is basically an aside to the rest of the show. I loved the finale, but everything leading up to it was kinda "meh."

This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: December 21, 2019, 12:11:18 am »

If you're itching for more in the vein of Adventure Time, Bravest Warriors is made by the same guy and has similar themes, albeit with a sci-fi setting instead of whatever genre you would call Adventure Time.
Personally I enjoyed BW, though it has gotten mixed reviews from the community, so it's hard to recommend.
Sadly the fourth season ended a year ago with a minor cliffhanger, and there's been no word about renewal, but it looks bleak. However a spinoff was just announced a few weeks ago, so that's something.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: December 29, 2019, 11:02:01 pm »

I recently binged Dick Figures.
It's a series of shorts and one movie, about stick figures, one of whom is a figurative dick.
Humor is unapologetically crass, which I found amusing, but obviously won't suit everyone. There were a couple of decent musical episodes, and the movie was entertaining enough. The final episode however was one of the most disappointing conclusions I have ever experienced. I am utterly dumbfounded as to why they would choose to go out like that.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: January 10, 2020, 09:52:45 pm »

Infinity Train Season 2 just ended.
I liked it better than the first season, and that was pretty good too. I'm a bit disappointed that Alan Dracula never really developed into anything though. Just a random god-tier character who tagged along and occasionally saved the day but was largely apathetic.

Also been watching Harley Quinn.
Really enjoying this one. It has a Saturday morning cartoon vibe. Lots of creativity, but doesn't take itself too seriously. Just a very chill plot with simple but amusing characters doing their supervillain thing.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: January 12, 2020, 02:41:38 pm »

"what are you, a moron?? NO PLANTS AROUND POISON IVY! No wonder your dad doesn't remember your birthday!"

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: January 12, 2020, 09:52:27 pm »

Watched Disenchantment on that there Netflix and enjoyed it, love all the background gags and convoluted layers of jokes like the Little Orphan Annex, but most of all I love how it goes "next episode?" and "skip intro?" because this is actually my first real experience with modern netflix, last I used it was on the Wii back when AC: City Folk was still a thing.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: January 31, 2020, 11:44:34 pm »

The final half-season of Bojack Horseman is here!
Binging now~

Edit:
Finished.
In true Bojack fashion, there are no happy endings, because the show must go on. Until it doesn't.
My only real regret is that we never got any closure with Holleyhock. Otherwise though, it was a poignant final season, and I'm glad that I got to experience it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 10:56:48 pm by Folly »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: February 03, 2020, 12:36:54 am »

Despite a valiant effort, I can't get into Star Wars: Rebels. Although Clone Wars was kid-friendly, it had some shades of darkness and ambiguity that I don't think will be in later parts of Rebels.

The biggest thing I dislike in Rebels is what I call "cartoon speak." A typical episode setup goes like this:

Villain appears "I am here to stop you from completing your goals this episode."
Cut to tough guy "Oh man, I hate (villain)."
Cut to smart character "We need to find a way to stop (villain.)"
Later, during and after a fight scene "Haha, I love (beating/smashing/blasting/stomping) (villain!)"

It's more soulless and by-the-numbers than a toy commercial, which Rebels often feels like due to its softer designs and ridiculously play-worthy contraptions. Even Clone Wars' earliest episodes, before it found its niche, weren't this childish and predictable.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: February 03, 2020, 12:52:40 am »

Totally agree. I struggled through it on a friend's recommendation, despite not liking basically any of the characters. I think the most bothersome part of Rebels is that there are actual emotional moments, but they all fell flat for me because of my lack of empathy for any of the 2d characters.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: February 03, 2020, 01:08:49 pm »

I also just finished Rebels. To frame this, I did use a watch guide which dissuaded me from a number of poorly written or executed episodes (I tried to watch one of the not-recommended ones and it was... p bad to say the least).

Rebels has a lot more fan service and too-obvious tropes, but it also has some surprisingly deep moments and the inclusion of seen-before villains and allies is actually a mostly welcome occurrence. I would say on an episode-for-episode average you can expect an average to above-average level of writing and execution, but individually the highs are high and the lows are low.

The main cast is mixed imo, Kanan is my personal fav because he's limited by his admittedly incomplete training and exile BUT without being a hopeless incompetent. Also he maintains his jedi-ness without succumbing to and in the end overcoming the shortfallings of the order. As for the others,

Ezra is a hit or miss for me, in the beginning his struggles are compelling as a makeshift padawan who doesnt really have a hope in defeating the empire, as his powers and plot-armor grow he becomes steadily less interesting until he's capable of effecting the universe more than he ought to be. Maul (who is interesting by himself) and good ole Palpatine seem to think he's really important for some reason (even though he really isnt) and its a bit jarring.

Zeb, Sabine, and Hera all have their moments, but like @itsnotlogical pointed out they more often resort to their NPC energy and fill their little archetypes (which can be visibly apparent at times, especially with Zeb). Chop is chop... who knew giving R2D2 arms would be so successful lol.

Callus is fun, but he becomes a spy a little too easily for my liking lol.

Thrawn got butchered, a big waste as many before me have pointed out.

The rest of the (mostly Imperial) rogue's gallery don't really get enough screen time to warrant attention (even Vader is p meh after his initial hunt for Kana and Ezra).

Special treats like Rex and Kenobi are great!

In short, while they the design and writing teams were (thankfully and with appreciation) doing a great job paying homage to the universe as collectively imagined, they also fell prey to Disney's, "just make it different, not better" syndrome. I am unsure why (other than being controlled by a creatively-incompetent corporation like Disney) artists, writers, and creatives in general struggle to write compelling stories in the SW universe, before Mandalorian (which I thought mostly nailed it), a good New Star Wars story looked like Star Wars, but was dreadfully boring, and a bad New Star Wars story looked like generic sci-fi rip offs of Star Wars with stories that LITERALLY didn't make any sense or had so many plot holes you were at risk of breaking you neck navigating them.

Compared to those, Rebels rates fairly high. (but like Clone Wars, is too painfully close to greatness to enjoy it again without wondering what could have been)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 200