Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 281902 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread. -- Bill is watching.
« Reply #2790 on: February 08, 2020, 11:11:28 pm »

RWBY Season 7 just concluded!

The drama this season felt entirely too contrived. A slew of new characters were introduced as obvious counterparts to our existing protagonists, which made their betrayal utterly predictable. Still, it allowed for some excellent fight scenes. Music in this show also continues to be top-notch.
I eagerly await whatever comes next!

I also just finished catching up on all the current episodes of Unikitty.

This show seems to be equal parts weak filler, movie/show parodies, and original genuinely creative content. Quite hit-or-miss, but definitely watchable.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: February 20, 2020, 09:31:06 am »

I just finished the first season of Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts.

Firstly, I absolutely adore the style dripping from this show. Music and art are both inspired and creative. Every episode is exciting and fun.

Story is solid. Post-apocalypse setting where mutated animals have taken over, and most surviving humans have retreated to underground bunkers. It feels a lot like Fallout, with our protagonist coming outside for the first time and having a big world full of twisted abominations to meet and either befriend or run away from.

This season ends on a minor cliffhanger with no renewal announced at this time, but it's clearly a popular show and Netflix has an excellent record of renewing popular shows, so I'm highly optimistic.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: March 06, 2020, 10:36:50 pm »

A new season of Brickleberry Paradise PD has arrived on Netflix!

Edit: Finished watching season 2. We got a Brickleberry crossover episode! Squeeeee!
Also I learned that Brickleberry got a comic book to resolve the cliffhanger it was canceled on. So now I have to read that.

And now Paradise PD got a cliffhanger ending at the end of season 2. Looking forward to finding out what happens next in season 3!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 08:54:40 pm by Folly »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: March 23, 2020, 08:45:42 pm »

Allo peeperonis!

I just finished season 3 of Castlevania

It's still got it, and doing a surprisingly good job of mixing in lore/inspirations from the games while developing a few characters from last season further than I thought theyd go. Uhhhh, sex--with heavy BDSM overtones for some reason lol, but it works and its fun so whatever! A little bit slower in terms of action, and yet I can still comfortably say this season was too damn short. Will probably keep watching forever, and honestly if they keep making seasons in this format they can probably keep making it forever too.

ALSO, just watched the Hazbin Hotel pilot.

Wow, I fookin' loved this. Went in fairly blind too and just agh, "tortuously long wait for the second episode" is right. Cheeky, profane, and technically gorgeous--it's very good all around. I don't want to say too much about it otherwise, but I'll definitely continue to watch and give everyone a FIRM recommendation to check out the pilot (on youtube).
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: March 24, 2020, 02:27:50 am »

I also just finished Rebels. To frame this, I did use a watch guide which dissuaded me from a number of poorly written or executed episodes (I tried to watch one of the not-recommended ones and it was... p bad to say the least).

Rebels has a lot more fan service and too-obvious tropes, but it also has some surprisingly deep moments and the inclusion of seen-before villains and allies is actually a mostly welcome occurrence. I would say on an episode-for-episode average you can expect an average to above-average level of writing and execution, but individually the highs are high and the lows are low.

The main cast is mixed imo, Kanan is my personal fav because he's limited by his admittedly incomplete training and exile BUT without being a hopeless incompetent. Also he maintains his jedi-ness without succumbing to and in the end overcoming the shortfallings of the order. As for the others,

Ezra is a hit or miss for me, in the beginning his struggles are compelling as a makeshift padawan who doesnt really have a hope in defeating the empire, as his powers and plot-armor grow he becomes steadily less interesting until he's capable of effecting the universe more than he ought to be. Maul (who is interesting by himself) and good ole Palpatine seem to think he's really important for some reason (even though he really isnt) and its a bit jarring.

Zeb, Sabine, and Hera all have their moments, but like @itsnotlogical pointed out they more often resort to their NPC energy and fill their little archetypes (which can be visibly apparent at times, especially with Zeb). Chop is chop... who knew giving R2D2 arms would be so successful lol.

Callus is fun, but he becomes a spy a little too easily for my liking lol.

Thrawn got butchered, a big waste as many before me have pointed out.

The rest of the (mostly Imperial) rogue's gallery don't really get enough screen time to warrant attention (even Vader is p meh after his initial hunt for Kana and Ezra).

Special treats like Rex and Kenobi are great!

In short, while they the design and writing teams were (thankfully and with appreciation) doing a great job paying homage to the universe as collectively imagined, they also fell prey to Disney's, "just make it different, not better" syndrome. I am unsure why (other than being controlled by a creatively-incompetent corporation like Disney) artists, writers, and creatives in general struggle to write compelling stories in the SW universe, before Mandalorian (which I thought mostly nailed it), a good New Star Wars story looked like Star Wars, but was dreadfully boring, and a bad New Star Wars story looked like generic sci-fi rip offs of Star Wars with stories that LITERALLY didn't make any sense or had so many plot holes you were at risk of breaking you neck navigating them.

Compared to those, Rebels rates fairly high. (but like Clone Wars, is too painfully close to greatness to enjoy it again without wondering what could have been)

I just finished season 3 of Rebels, so I'm getting close to the end.

Kanan is... alright, I guess. I see a lot of wasted potential in his relationship with Hera and the ways he could possibly deviate from his incomplete training, since their relationship clearly has romantic subtext. Hera doesn't get enough of her own moments for me to think about but is mostly inoffensive. I like Sabine, but mostly because I have a soft spot for that sort of punk girl archetype. Zeb is starting to redeem himself but is still the weakest of the cast IMO.

I really, really dislike Ezra, and a lot of my friction with the show comes from Ezra just being Luke Skywalker from the first act of A New Hope... for four seasons. He's still naive, whiny, impatient, petulant, eager, all the stuff that made Luke's arc so compelling in Empire and Return, but Ezra hasn't had his act 3 yet. Maybe that's coming in season 4 but I doubt it.

I'm kinda glad Vader (seemingly) vanished from the show after S2. Having him appear after the resolution of Ahsoka's storyline wouldn't just be jumping the shark, it'd be burying the shark in the center of the Earth so that everybody, everywhere spends their entire lives above it.

As for Disney Wars, it's a mixed bag like the franchise always has been. It's only had five years, whereas the original EU had been around for thirty-eight. For all the old EU books, games and stories people like, I'm dead certain there are just as many Holiday Special-level stinkers that have been forgotten about. In about 20 years when this decade enters the nostalgia cycle we'll be hating on the new thing and remembering all the good parts of Disney Wars, while selectively forgetting or forgiving the bad stuff.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: March 24, 2020, 01:14:34 pm »

Little Gamers started updating again, for those of you who are also Internet Old.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: March 27, 2020, 11:18:50 pm »

Steven Universe has ended.

I was really hoping we would see some other types of aliens. I was also hoping for more info about Steven's creation, and more about the pink lions.
The final season saw the Homeworld Diamonds learning to reverse their powers, and use them in a positive way. We also saw Steven reverse his power to create life, and flirt with destroying it a bit. I feel like they should have gone further with it though. Give Steven a reason to really unleash and see just how much destruction he can cause; and eventually let him accept that this is also a part of who and what he is.

The end was not all I hoped for...but it had to end eventually, and this was a better ending than many cartoons get.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: March 28, 2020, 11:08:46 pm »

I finished Rebels and I am totally ambivalent on the experience. It was okay. Not good, not bad, didn't make me feel a thing at any point. It got kinda dumb near the end, but not any dumber than I expected. A dumb frivolous little time-waster. The only reason I finished it was because it was short, only 4 seasons.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: April 03, 2020, 02:29:53 pm »

Gasp!

Far sooner than anyone expected, a second season of Harley Quinn has appeared!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: April 05, 2020, 11:34:26 pm »

So the missus and I were playing new horizons and she was lamenting how ugly the first toilet we found was, got talking about how Rick is a shy pooper.

She asks me why he didn't just go in VR or something and I'm like 'because you'd still be crapping where ever you are' so she busts out this:

"Sir, there's not a lot of things you can't do at Hardee's, but this is one of them."
I add 'Did you not see the sign which says "PLEASE Stop Shitting In Our Booths" right there?'
"So wait, what are the other things you can't do?"
'Human trafficking... that's about it.'

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.
« Reply #2801 on: April 06, 2020, 12:14:09 am »

Oh hey, I forgot this thread existed. Might as well remove the title's reference to an 8 year old cartoon at this point.

Man does time fly.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: April 06, 2020, 12:16:07 am »

It's a kaijyuu! Praise Godzilla!
Love, scriver~

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: April 16, 2020, 02:35:09 am »

I just finished devouring the first season of Beastars, a high-school drama featuring anthropomorphic characters.

I generally try to stay away from high-school dramas, but heard some good things about this one so decided to give it a chance. The animation is a bit messy at first, but gets much better after a few episodes. Music is delightful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw9WJ2EoK_s
Story revolves around the usual high-school drama of kids struggling with a society telling them to be civilized contributing little tools, while their hormones are simultaneously demanding that they either fuck or fight anything that moves. On top of this is added a third layer of their animal instincts which tell all the kids to either eat or flee from the herbivores and carnivores around them.
There is a diverse cast of characters, each with distinct backstories and motivations, and honestly I absolutely love every single one of them. There is also a fair amount of worldbuilding, painting a picture of a detailed world in which a variety of creatures live and interact with eachother.

Without spoiling too much of the drama, I will simply say that this show was a rollercoaster of joy to watch. Fortunately it did not end on too bad of a cliffhanger, because the second season is not expected until 2021. I'll be eagerly waiting until then!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: April 16, 2020, 02:37:03 am »

Damn, that's a long time to wait.

I liked Beastars a lot. The masculinity and gender politic metaphors are crazy, and I can't wait until somebody smarter and more willing to post a YouTube video than me starts reading into them.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 200