Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 284542 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.
« Reply #2835 on: July 13, 2020, 03:54:08 pm »

Looks awful.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: July 13, 2020, 07:37:27 pm »

When I heard about Lower Decks, I assumed it would be a live action series.  This... is not what I expected.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: July 13, 2020, 08:21:36 pm »

If there's one thing I think everyone in America can agree upon, it's that Galaxy Quest was the best Star Trek movie.

This might be good.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: July 13, 2020, 10:07:10 pm »

When I heard about Lower Decks, I assumed it would be a live action series.  This... is not what I expected.

Same, I had no idea they were animating it. I LIKE Mike McMahon, I don't think he is as irreverent as Harmon or Roiland, but then I don't know of anything he's done outside of their shows. So I'll watch it, but from the trailer it doesn't seem very... well Trekky.

Cautiously Neutral.

EDIT: Ah, I see Alex Kurtzmann is one of the producers. Not that that is surprising, but that almost guarantees its ineptitude. RIP
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: July 14, 2020, 02:30:12 am »

It doesn't look that good to me.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: July 15, 2020, 10:56:17 am »

Follow-up question:

If you think it looks bad, is it because you think the animation/art (style) looks bad in quality? Including other shows where it is used? Is it because it is Star Trek?

Is it the kind of humor?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: July 15, 2020, 11:12:14 am »

Star trek + kind of humor.

Star Trek Farce Comedy could work... just not in that style. Too much irreverence, not enough wit.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: July 15, 2020, 03:19:35 pm »

Follow-up question:

If you think it looks bad, is it because you think the animation/art (style) looks bad in quality? Including other shows where it is used? Is it because it is Star Trek?

Is it the kind of humor?
Artstyle indeed looks bad, or at least not conducive to Star Trek. I like that style in Rick & Morty, but it's trying to be goofy and stupid there.

The more important part is that the humor feels entirely hollow and vapid. It's a good style for that, but I don't want to watch entirely stupid humor, and it's a bizarre waste on Star Trek.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: July 15, 2020, 03:29:55 pm »

Is it out yet? I'll check it out when it comes out, at least.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: July 16, 2020, 03:29:36 am »

The art is what got me, it just doesn't look that good.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: July 16, 2020, 05:16:54 am »

I'll second the notion that the humor and overall style just feel out of place for Star Trek.  The art style I could live with, but the whole presentation feels like it really should have been done with a parody cartoon that made fun of Star Trek instead of being Star Trek.

I don't know, it's hard to guess how well it'll work in full episodes until I see one.  But I'm not extremely hopeful.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: July 31, 2020, 05:44:14 pm »

Transformers: War for Cybertron recently appeared on Netflix, produced by Rooster Teeth. This is the first of three planned seasons.

It's only 6 short 20-minute episodes, so I binged it fairly quickly. I found it disappointing.
Stylistically it felt very low energy, and low quality. Certainly far below the standard I've come to expect from Rooster Teeth. Story-wise, I felt a bit confused about the motives of the characters and generally uninterested in their plight. Apparently there's been a war on Cybertron with devastating effect; but I never really found out exactly what they were fighting about, nor did I feel like we got a good view of the scope of the damage and the current state of Cybertron. The only bots we ever saw were those directly involved in the story, so for the first few episodes it feels like there's maybe a dozen bots alive on this entire planet. Then in the last episode they pull out a small army of drones that have apparently been hiding away somewhere, only to have our protagonists kill most of them in battle while whining about how their race is going extinct.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: August 07, 2020, 07:35:13 pm »

The third part of the Tales of Arcadia trilogy has appeared! Wizards is here!

Edit: Finished binging it.
It felt a bit rushed at times. There were several points where characters just did instant 180° personality changes with no transition time, and that was a bit jarring. I feel like they could have stretched this into two seasons easily.
Still, it was exciting throughout. They did a time-travel thing that explained a lot of the backstory from the first arc, while also moving things forward in meaningful ways.
I'm very disappointed that Jim Lake is no longer a half-troll. He was way too cute in that form. Also disappointed we didn't see a bit more of the aliens. Their inclusion this season felt like a token at best.

There's supposed to be a movie at some point to wrap things up. Looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 11:24:05 pm by Folly »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: August 08, 2020, 11:28:10 pm »

Owl House had an interesting episode tonight. Spoilers ahead for any who have not seen it yet.

For a while now we've seen suggestive blushes from Amity when she's near Luz, but tonight we finally got some hard evidence of romantic interest in the form of an unread letter asking Luz to be Amity's date for the school dance.
So far there's not been much evidence to suggest that Luz reciprocates these feelings. She's certainly friendly, but that's all.
Of course everyone is now shipping these girls eventually getting together, but personally I think it would be much more interesting if they went a different route. Luz could develop a relationship with another character before Amity confesses her feelings, creating an awkward love triangle, which might drive Amity to become something of a villain as she fights for Luz's affection. Or maybe Luz is just asexual, and when Amity gets rejected she becomes depressed and starts lashing out until she gets lured over to the dark side. Almost anything would be more interesting than our heroines simply living happily ever after.

Also, what was up with those letters? The obvious answer would be that Eda has been sending the letters to cover for Luz and keep her around, though it seems a bit unnecessary, and strange that a character with such an open and carefree personality would be scheming in secret. But offhand I can't think of any other characters who know Luz and her situation well enough to do something like this.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: August 09, 2020, 07:21:34 am »

Also, what was up with those letters? The obvious answer would be that Eda has been sending the letters to cover for Luz and keep her around, though it seems a bit unnecessary, and strange that a character with such an open and carefree personality would be scheming in secret. But offhand I can't think of any other characters who know Luz and her situation well enough to do something like this.

Could be someone who arranged for Luz to come to the Boiling Isles as part of some convoluted plot. Potentially whoever cursed Eda, if we're going with somebody who's been established to exist. (Thinking that could be the Emperor, but it seems too cliche.)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 07:26:12 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 200