Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 200

Author Topic: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.  (Read 281814 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Cartoon/Western Animation Thread.
« Reply #2850 on: August 09, 2020, 11:17:39 pm »

I caught the first episode of Star Trek: Lower Decks.

Humor, story, and art all exceeded my expectations. It may not be the absolute best cartoon I see this year, but it's certainly in the running. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: August 14, 2020, 08:53:46 am »

First half of the third season of Infinity Train has arrived!

Like the second season, the third is focusing on some disreputable characters from the previous season, giving them some backstory and maybe a chance to redeem themselves, while simultaneously allowing us to learn a bit more about the mysteries of the train. So far it's pretty good!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: August 15, 2020, 08:26:16 pm »

I caught the first episode of Star Trek: Lower Decks.

Humor, story, and art all exceeded my expectations. It may not be the absolute best cartoon I see this year, but it's certainly in the running. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Just saw the pilot. Hm. I don't know how to feel, honestly it is not nearly as bad as it COULD have been so... there's that. That said, the Rick n Morty humor really REALLY does not fit at all. BUT. If you can look past that? There is a solid 6-7/10 show waiting to be watched, with the potential to be considerably better if it drops some of the unnecessary humor.

EDIT: I watched the second episode, and can confirm that the less Mike McMahon tries to be funny or make others be funny, the better they can actually write. That said, the humor is... tough to get through. Also some of the characters are just......... not Starfleet material lol
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 11:12:28 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: August 17, 2020, 07:07:36 am »

The entire second season of Glitch Techs just appeared!

Edit:
Finished the season. Plenty more wonderful video game references. Somewhat less progression than I would have liked on the bigger mysteries behind this show. Still, quite enjoyable.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 03:29:25 pm by Folly »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: August 28, 2020, 09:29:37 pm »

I finished watching the first season of Hoops, a recent Netflix cartoon about a perpetually angry man who rants about whatever minor or major obstacle is currently bugging him.

It's very much a one-note show. There was a little bit of story progression in the last couple of episodes, and a few side-stories about the kids on the basketball team, but for the most part the entire show rides on these amusingly level-headed rants. I found it fairly enjoyable for a casual watch, but don't go into this one expecting much more than a simple comedic narrative in a mundane setting and style.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: September 22, 2020, 04:24:33 pm »

Dragon's Dogma recently released, and I already finished binging the short 7 episode season.

Animation is fairly bad, particularly in the first few episodes. Lots of awkward movements, weird looking models, and low fps. On the other hands, lots of boobies. Also they got one of those slick opening sequences like Game of Thrones and Westwood had.

Story stuck fairly close to the game, which is impressive considering that the game was not particularly story-driven. I'm a bit disappointed that we never got to see the politics of the capital city, and didn't learn anything at all about the Pawns. Maybe we'll see these things if we get a second season.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: September 23, 2020, 07:58:56 am »

That doesn't look like anytree to me
Love, scriver~

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: September 23, 2020, 08:00:44 am »

Watched dragon’s dogma also, was disappointed that they did not include more of the pawn exposition / alternative verse thing / other failed arisen thing.
I think they just focused too much on the 7 sins moral of the story thing.  It wasn’t really that prevalent in the game if memory serves.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: September 23, 2020, 08:27:23 am »

I didn't get very far in the game, I think, but I don't remember a seven sins narrative at all, so I think you're served.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: September 23, 2020, 12:41:53 pm »

I finished watching the first season of Hoops, a recent Netflix cartoon about a perpetually angry man who rants about whatever minor or major obstacle is currently bugging him.

It's very much a one-note show. There was a little bit of story progression in the last couple of episodes, and a few side-stories about the kids on the basketball team, but for the most part the entire show rides on these amusingly level-headed rants. I found it fairly enjoyable for a casual watch, but don't go into this one expecting much more than a simple comedic narrative in a mundane setting and style.
Well, I mean... do you really need more?   
I actually quite liked it. Bit like some somewhat generic crude comedy film (I'm sure you know the type, it probably stars Will Ferrell or David Spade or some such) but spread out over a whole show. And animated. Kind of a refreshing change from animated series that just throw in a whole bunch of weird shit simply because they don't have the constraints of live-action. Don't get me wrong, I freaking adore Superjail. But there the zaniness is the point of the show, not just something tacked on.   
It is almost 4am currently so this post probably makes less sense than it might have made have I made it when I first saw your verdict of Hoops, haha.   

I was kinda bummed to see the Dragon's Dogma series is in fact anime. I had only seen a vague splash screen without a trailer and I guess I didn't scrutinise the image closely enough so I didn't realise, haha. Oops.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: September 23, 2020, 06:15:38 pm »

Dragon's Dogma, since it looks pretty computer generated, really should have had a Character Creator option. It really feels weird that the main character isn't a 7 foot tall wall of a man with the face of an infant and the pawn isn't a 3 foot tall 100 year old woman with giant breasts... Totally different from the game.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: October 08, 2020, 03:09:06 pm »

Lower Decks Season 1 has concluded. Lots of good episodes, but the last 2 were particularly great!

Season 2 has already been approved, and went into production immediately after Season 1, so hopefully the wait won't be too long.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: October 08, 2020, 08:42:28 pm »

Lower Decks Season 1 has concluded. Lots of good episodes, but the last 2 were particularly great!

Season 2 has already been approved, and went into production immediately after Season 1, so hopefully the wait won't be too long.

Did it improve from the first few episodes???

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: October 17, 2020, 10:37:14 pm »

The third and final season of Kipo: Wonderbeasts is here.

The first season had great energy and style, but left a lot of unanswered questions in the storytelling. Second season fleshed out the story much more, but felt a bit lacking in energy. Third season finally managed to find a good balance between the two.

There were definitely some plot holes, and the 'let's all be friends' theme was overplayed, and the final length after just three seasons felt too short. But overall, very enjoyable show, with a happy ending.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: October 30, 2020, 12:31:35 am »

Anyone mentioned Blood of Zeus yet? I just finished the first 8-episode season. It's an netflix anime in the style of Castlevania. Similar in terms of tone, but it has a much wider breadth of inspiration when it comes to the material it's drawing from--I could pick it full of holes tbh, but it's just a fun, very pulpy show! I recommend it!
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 200