Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44

Author Topic: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart  (Read 76554 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart Incoming!
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 07:57:20 am »

Note. Caps are not yelling, it is emphasizing words.

I still say, if the TEXT is smaller then the Cursor in a game by at least half, ITS TOO SMALL. Buttons, Text on Buttons, Characters, Things that you need to click on. If I have to hunt for Pixels, I feel less inclined to play the game. If I have to SQUINT to see the text or even the character, I feel less inclined to play the game...

While it looks good, don't get me wrong. Looking at that expansive Desert in the video I didn't know what I was looking at. It was pure Yellow with lines to represent dunes. Where was the character, where was the Mouse??? Heck looking at the Dev Video 3 I am thinking "Wow, titles screen has so much wasted space..." I watch further along. "Heh, the Logs disappear behind the Cursor. Yep, that looks like Pixel hunting to me. And what is with that Canopy, the Trunk is as 'big' as the character blob yet the canopy is 5 times larger in radius..."

Heck, there was a MISSCLICK DUE TO PIXEL HUNT FAIL with the dropping out of inventory...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 08:03:35 am »

Noted. I don't have much trouble seeing things, but I can understand how it may be a problem on a smaller screen (this is one of the reasons I'm running the Kickstarter - I want an honest-to-goodness tileset with larger dimensions). But, regardless, I will make it a priority to get a larger character set put together for people who are having trouble seeing this one.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 08:11:00 am »

Noted. I don't have much trouble seeing things, but I can understand how it may be a problem on a smaller screen (this is one of the reasons I'm running the Kickstarter - I want an honest-to-goodness tileset with larger dimensions). But, regardless, I will make it a priority to get a larger character set put together for people who are having trouble seeing this one.
Well, I downloaded the Techdemo, I gotta say, love the way the Worldgen works. Still say that "Buttons" are a bit smallish.

While looking at the World Atlus I must say I jumped when a set of music which contained what sounded like more refined White Noise and Pops screamed into my ear from no where and continued to ripple and pop at a very loud volume...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 08:13:19 am »

Well, I downloaded the Techdemo, I gotta say, love the way the Worldgen works. Still say that "Buttons" are a bit smallish.

While looking at the World Atlus I must say I jumped when a set of music which contained what sounded like more refined White Noise and Pops screamed into my ear from no where and continued to ripple and pop at a very loud volume...

Sorry, that is an artifact that was involved with using MP3 files. They're .ogg in the newer tech demo, which I will be releasing within the frame of the Kickstarter, so it won't do that.

Please keep your eyes peeled for the newer version - it's MUCH further along than the older tech demo.

Thanks, though!

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 10:32:09 am »

Posting to follow!
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 10:45:12 am »

A Video Games project in Lansing, MI by David Hagar
We know where you live now ;)

I'll throw more money at my screen this month i guess.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:06:49 pm by Tellemurius »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 11:05:42 am »

Taking the time to look it over...  70 seems to be enticing...  Though, I'd prefer my 'name' to be lower in the totem pole...

And... considering that you actually have been working on this for the last few years... doesn't look like you'll drop it either.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 11:18:30 am »

Taking the time to look it over...  70 seems to be enticing...  Though, I'd prefer my 'name' to be lower in the totem pole...

If I'm interpreting this correctly, and you don't want your self-insertion to be a god, I'm totally fine with switching it out for anything 'lower'. Ditto for all the other ranks (switching for a lower donation level's character type is fine and dandy, it's just switching up I'd have to restrict).

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 11:20:24 am »

Just to confirm: donating 70 just gets our name into the god name database and does not allow us to, say, lay claim to being the god of rock and roll as well?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 11:48:15 am »

From over in the Cult dev thread in Creative Projects:
Name, gender, appearance, personality traits, skills (within reason), and various other things depending on the character type (i.e., for gods, you will decide what sphere(s) they are related to). I may write up a post elaborating on it and stick it in there as an FAQ or an update, if it seems eminently sensible to do so, but since the character inserts are really more of a 'everybody gets this cool bonus just for donating' type of thing, I'm waiting to see how much interest there is in them before I set any uber-concrete rules.

So nope, more than just names. I will also allow some flexibility in pretty much all of the characters. Even the $1 contributors can decide what kind of physical appearance their character gets, if they'd like. I'll also note that in the project.  :)

Here we go, added this in:
Note: For the character self-inserts in the rewards, you'll be able to decide gender, skills (within reason; peasants are obviously not going to be master swordsmen), and appearance of the character (though this will vary depending on what species they're generated as, but I'll try to make each one retain some defining characteristics). For some character types, additional traits can be decided (like for the spirits, creatures, and gods). I'll send individual e-mails to all contributors with a form to fill out, and I'll do my best to work with you and get your character as close as possible to what you'd like!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:52:53 am by Lord Dullard »

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 12:42:05 pm »

I have a question, since the reward levels that most people are going to pick are 15-25 wouldn't you get disproportionate amounts of adventurers/soldiers/mercenaries/mayors/whatever to guards/merchants/peasants?

Wouldn't it be better if all name-pool rewards also put you in the lower name tiers?
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 12:46:32 pm »

I think people will be more likely to talk to the soldiers, adventurers, etc rather than the peasants, which would mean that paying more means your name is more likely to be seen
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 01:39:11 pm »

There is, from my impressions, going to be a ton of randomly generated NPC.  Its just the mooks are gonna fill most of the peasantry, while you'll also more often interact with people of 'some skill', 'us' and random NPC.

@Lord Dullard, thanks for the answer... would it be possible to range your character in possible occupation/faction?  One game, 'I' could be an adventurer, but another, some guard or mercenary.  Maybe even a captain of something?  (Randomness)

Would be funny to see the RNG come up with 'me' as Mayor.  "I retired from mercenary work/adventuring...."
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 01:44:02 pm »

I have a question, since the reward levels that most people are going to pick are 15-25 wouldn't you get disproportionate amounts of adventurers/soldiers/mercenaries/mayors/whatever to guards/merchants/peasants?

Nope. Disproportionate amounts of static  adventurers/soldiers/etc., perhaps, but that doesn't mean there will be more adventurers/soldiers overall. Even if two thousand people end up contributing, if there are 200,000 NPCs per world (and there will probably be considerably more than that), it shouldn't make much of a difference what the makeup of those two thousand is - especially since their appearance will be random, not guaranteed.

Quote from: Zangi
@Lord Dullard, thanks for the answer... would it be possible to range your character in possible occupation/faction?

That should be fine, though I think I would probably limit it to a maximum of two possibilities, mostly just to minimize the amount of confusion it could potentially cause on my part.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 02:02:11 pm »

Caribbean Cruise?! Pretty novel reward compared even to some high level offerings.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 02:29:50 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44