Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44

Author Topic: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart  (Read 76534 times)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart Incoming!
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 02:28:21 pm »

Will there be a paypal option w/rewards for those who won't have access to kickstarter?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 02:52:00 pm »

I think so. I'd like to offer this, but I've been informed that there may be some kind of a stipulation against doing that on Kickstarter's part. If need be, though, I'll just wait until the 30 days are over and offer a window of time in which I'll allow people to donate via paypal instead.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 02:55:59 pm »

One of the things it says you can do is eventually become the leader of a powerful religion, my question is whether you can become the leader of a very weak religion early on and make it powerful, or if you can only fight your way up the ranks of an already powerful religion.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 02:57:26 pm »

I'm pretty sure you can do both, or even make an entirely new religion
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 03:00:25 pm »

Sounds excellent, I'll be funding this, then. A game like this is something I've wish existed for a while.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 03:18:32 pm »

Wow, what positive reception! Keep the comments coming guys!
Poysky Productions

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 03:21:47 pm »

One of the things it says you can do is eventually become the leader of a powerful religion, my question is whether you can become the leader of a very weak religion early on and make it powerful, or if you can only fight your way up the ranks of an already powerful religion.

Yes, both.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 03:32:48 pm »

Cult in kickstarter? Very exciting! Im definately following this.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »

I can't help but thinking that this feels a bit wrong. Kickstarter is for something you can kickstart into high gear. This appears to be a long-term development project, like DF itself, which ought to start slow and build.

Kickstarter is the latest model of hammer, and every problem looks like a nail.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 05:32:09 pm »

I can't help but thinking that this feels a bit wrong. Kickstarter is for something you can kickstart into high gear. This appears to be a long-term development project, like DF itself, which ought to start slow and build.

The major issue is that there is just stuff Lord Dullard cannot do himself as well just creating a community requires a lot of time and money. Dwarf Fortress gets away with a lot of this because it has a very strong and devoted community.

As well I can think of quite a few Kickstarters that started even before production began (Like Grandroids)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 05:38:14 pm »

What's your definition of 'kickstart'? Let me put it this way: I could work a full time job for the next five years very gradually adding bits and pieces to this as my little free time allowed (considering I was working 50-60 hours a week before embarking on this endeavor without any end in sight), and hope that someday I could build up enough of a following through gradual and sporadic bursts of activity to move forward.

Or, I could try crowd-funding, hopefully make enough to fund at least several months to a year of full-time, devoted activity on this project (well, and also offer some kind of compensation to the guys who have helped me with this), and be able to begin earnest work on something that I think will be awesome (or at least certainly hope so!). I also plan on having a fully playable game out much sooner than what I envision the 'end' product to be, but that's just the nature of a project this ambitious.

For me, the choice is obvious, and it's definitely a 'kickstart'. No regrets.

ETA: Of course, I know there are differing opinions on Kickstart and what it 'should' be. I can respect that, and hey, each to their own. That's what's great about this type of 'open' funding method; everybody gets to decide for themselves whether something is worthwhile.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:52:01 pm by Lord Dullard »

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 06:41:55 pm »

Look. There's a "home team" thing here, so I'm not going to fight tooth-and-nail to make my point, LD. Kickstarter, however, is not the right approach with this game. It's a shiny new bauble that everyone wants to use for no reason.

Grandroids was proposed by an established developer with a reputation, a game that set a timeframe of two years for delivery. The successful project FTL has a demo of the core playing experience, and promises to be in beta by August. Look at all the kickstarted games so far, and you will see timeframes for gratifying the "investors."

This game has a tech-demo with maybe 2% of its sprawling core gameplay, and a vague timeframe that maybe with 4 months of solid development there could be another pre-alpha with 4% of the core gameplay.

This is begging for starting out slowly. You say there are many opinions on what "should" be a Kickstarter project, but it's simple, really. You should kickstart whatever you can reasonably provide. You have to admit that you are not selling gamers on what you have now, or what you expect to have in four months, or even what you expect to have in two years. If your Kickstarter is successful, remember that you sold your customers a decades-long vision. You are ethically locked into providing that. Better to go slow with a clean conscience.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 06:45:41 pm »

Actually I got the idea it would take two years for a playable version

when the idea is to get it within four years which is a standard videogame cycle.

There's a "home team" thing here

Ahh yes I hate when that happens to me. It is sort of refreshing to see someone else going through it. It is a shame that you arn't as, what is that word, stubborn as I am.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 06:57:22 pm »

Actually I got the idea it would take two years for a playable version

Much less than that for a playable version.

@Trollheiming, you're entitled to your opinion. But frankly I'd rather not rise to the bait and validate that rant with a more extended answer. I think it's made rather clear on the Kickstarter that this is a long-term project, and I would be happy to make it even more explicit if there's any kind of ethical issue involved. I am going to go back to working now; if you have any further issues, please PM them to me.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:04:18 pm by Lord Dullard »

Trollheiming

• Bay Watcher
  • I do. I really do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 07:05:43 pm »

That was not a rant. It was not bait. It raised concerns that you should soberly consider. It requires no direct reply or answer to me. I'm just putting it out there.

Kickstarter is not the answer for every project.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 44