Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44

Author Topic: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart  (Read 76536 times)

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart Ready! Link inside!
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2012, 08:46:38 pm »

Yeah, I'll have to agree to the strange nature of charging for an alpha/beta and not getting the finished product.

The way I've seen kickstarters get around this is charging for the game at a lower tier say 10/15 dollars then giving alpha/beta access to those who pay for a higher tier say 20 dollars.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2012, 08:47:09 pm »

PTW
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2012, 08:48:27 pm »

Well, the idea is that you'll get the alpha/in-development versions (and really, this will last a good long while, and an alpha version will always be available to download for those who've paid for it). Both the alpha and full versions are discounted from their eventual price in the KS (since, when it's completely finished and ready to go beta, I'd like to price it at $20). I know of at least one other game that does this - namely URW, where you can buy a single 'version' for a small price, or buy a comprehensive 'versions up to 1.x' for another, or a 'all versions forever' for a higher price.

What I would be happy to do is offer the full game to anyone who's bought the alpha at the difference. So, if you ever want to 'upgrade' to the full version, just pay the extra $5, and you can use the alpha for now as your test to see if you eventually want to upgrade.

In fact, I'll write that in immediately.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2012, 08:51:22 pm »

Seems like a nice compromise :)

Good luck with the KS campaign and I'll be there to chip in if/when there's a paypal phase later on!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2012, 08:53:06 pm »

Thanks!

Added to the KS:

A note on the Alpha/Full setup: I want to quickly mention that anyone who purchases the alpha version CAN later upgrade to the full version (which will eventually be priced at $20, once the game goes beta) for the difference, not at full price (i.e., $5 more - so you will still receive the discount). No, I won't charge you for the game twice in a row - that would just be lame! The alpha version at $10 is there so you can test it without committing to the next tier, if you can't afford it or just want to see how much you like the game before buying the full version.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2012, 09:49:01 pm »

So what will NPC adventurers do exactly? Can you actually explore a dungeon and find it has been looted already or even that it has a few extra bodies?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2012, 07:17:57 am »

So what will NPC adventurers do exactly? Can you actually explore a dungeon and find it has been looted already or even that it has a few extra bodies?

Certainly. Although I don't think adventurers will be limited to the 'I go into caves and take junk' trope. Think about what we'd call 'adventurers' from our own history; people who went out and explored distant and unexplored lands, went on crazy journeys (a la Lewis and Clark or Marco Polo), etc. I don't have any problems per se with some adventurers being the typical run-of-the-mill fantasy cannon fodder, but many of them will fit better within a much broader definition.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2012, 08:44:58 am »

Certainly. Although I don't think adventurers will be limited to the 'I go into caves and take junk' trope. Think about what we'd call 'adventurers' from our own history; people who went out and explored distant and unexplored lands, went on crazy journeys (a la Lewis and Clark or Marco Polo), etc. I don't have any problems per se with some adventurers being the typical run-of-the-mill fantasy cannon fodder, but many of them will fit better within a much broader definition.

I will love you forever if the game includes opportunities to profit from mapping/exploration of unknown areas.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2012, 08:50:58 am »

In real life you did that by having very accurate maps or maps of important routes, cities, and ocean currents.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2012, 08:55:24 am »

Awesome - up to 15% funded.  :D

I will definitely consider adding a 'map for profit' type of mechanic to the game eventually. Doesn't seem like it would be terribly hard to implement, since it would rely mostly on the same set of variables that would handle fog of war on the world map and such.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2012, 11:59:29 am »

Backed to the tune of 15 USD. This is a great project, good luck with it mate!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2012, 01:20:55 pm »

Awesome, thank you (and everyone else who has contributed) for your support!

We're now at 20%. Also, we got our first media exposure on indiegamemag.com: Open Ended Role Playing Game, 'Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones', Hits Kickstarter

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2012, 01:33:23 pm »

Donated. Can't wait for the next playable version where I can roam around the world inventorying and building stuff :D

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2012, 01:35:02 pm »

I really wish you best of luck, it make me think of DF adventure mode on steroid :D, sure no complex anatomy/combat system but the other gameplay mecanic seem very nice! Keep it up buddy!
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2012, 01:35:44 pm »

I'll be blunt: I won't pay more than 10$ for the full version of such a roguelike. Even more with a long development time ahead.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44