Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44

Author Topic: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart  (Read 76531 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart Ready! Link inside!
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2012, 01:52:28 pm »

I'll be blunt: I won't pay more than 10$ for the full version of such a roguelike. Even more with a long development time ahead.
Same, but also slightly tempted to go to 15$ depending on how much it changes between now and the next few updates...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2012, 01:56:58 pm »

I'll be blunt: I won't pay more than 10$ for the full version of such a roguelike. Even more with a long development time ahead.
Yet people donate monthly for DF but thats not even consider done.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2012, 04:22:05 pm »

Same, but also slightly tempted to go to 15$ depending on how much it changes between now and the next few updates...

I'm definitely going to be putting together the building system ASAP, so expect it soon. Thanks for considering either way.  :D

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2012, 04:22:18 pm »

Less than 24 hours in and we are at the 25 % mark, kudos guys, you are fantastic! Things are looking bright!
Poysky Productions

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2012, 05:48:17 pm »

Do not understand why people are against paying for a game with development goals as awesome as these. Procedually generated story telling? I don't care if the project never gets out of the beta phase (Nor should anyone on this forum, given it'll be years before DF even gets out of Alpha). So long as you continue to develop the game I'll never feel bad about putting money up on the project. After all just because it is a 'roguelike' does not mean it is an easy game to develop or mean it is any lesser of a game than any other title out there.

Just to verify some wording, sorry if you answered this question before, but the $15 donation includes the free game right? Something about the wording just makes me want to ask.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2012, 05:57:06 pm »

Yeah it does, that's the one I've taken

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2012, 06:00:24 pm »

Do not understand why people are against paying for a game with development goals as awesome as these. Procedually generated story telling? I don't care if the project never gets out of the beta phase (Nor should anyone on this forum, given it'll be years before DF even gets out of Alpha). So long as you continue to develop the game I'll never feel bad about putting money up on the project. After all just because it is a 'roguelike' does not mean it is an easy game to develop or mean it is any lesser of a game than any other title out there.

Just to verify some wording, sorry if you answered this question before, but the $15 donation includes the free game right? Something about the wording just makes me want to ask.

Correct, $15 gets you the full version of the game.

nuova

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2012, 08:37:11 pm »

What games have you made before?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2012, 09:01:17 pm »

What games have you made before?

All of my prior game-making experience has been in MU*s; I've staffed on several and have been coding them for years. Most notably I have completely coded a Fallout-themed game with a full combat system, a GM toolset (with controllable NPC actors), and lots of other goodies. I've also put together a ton of code for various games. I certainly don't pretend it's any great achievement, but it is what lead me to getting into 'proper' code. I didn't start off this project intending to let it take up a significant portion of my life - it just happened that way, and I decided I'd really like to continue working on it in more than just a secondary (or tertiary, really) capacity.

nuova

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2012, 10:59:15 pm »

Most notably I have completely coded a Fallout-themed game with a full combat system,
Link?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2012, 01:21:43 am »

Cult is really chugging along, I was actually worried about its funding... but I see there is genuin support behind it.

Trefall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2012, 02:47:21 am »

84 backers already, almost at $2k! Crossing fingers for this, so inspiring to watch the development of these games.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2012, 03:31:32 am »

Yup, donating to this. Just have to decide how much. This project always looked awesome.

Also, shook pixels?

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2012, 04:43:12 am »

You have some stellar ideas, and it sounds all very exciting, but can you really pull this off with only 5 thousand? I'd think one would be able to get the game finished at 10 thousand, and then maybe add cool stuff to it with anything over that, but you certainly have some very ambitious goals. Checking out the videos on your blog, it looks like you have the base game down, and you still need most of the work. Also, personally, I don't think you even need a tileset, the game already looks great, and if you're going for an cultish feel, all you really need is good lighting, and you have that as far as I can see. Anyway, besides my personal thoughts, this does look really good. I'm pleased to see a game that was inspired by Dwarf Fortress (I'm assuming this was inspired by Dwarf Fortress) that isn't just a palette swap, and I'm really interesting in seeing where you would go with the cultish theme. I'll be looking at this again over the next few days, and hopefully this'll become my second backed project!

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2012, 07:13:39 am »

Most notably I have completely coded a Fallout-themed game with a full combat system,
Link?

It has been taken down for some time, since it was an online game and after the end of the last plot arc I didn't have the time to GM for 20-ish people and handle college/life in general. I have the code sitting around somewhere on a CD, but I'm not too keen on digging it out with everything else I've got going on.

Quote from: Dr. Johbson
You have some stellar ideas, and it sounds all very exciting, but can you really pull this off with only 5 thousand? I'd think one would be able to get the game finished at 10 thousand, and then maybe add cool stuff to it with anything over that, but you certainly have some very ambitious goals.

Well, at the very least it'll allow me to focus on the game a lot more than I would have been able to otherwise (60 hour work weeks aren't very conducive to getting a game done).

As for the tileset, I guess that's a matter of taste - personally I also like the ASCII/old-school look, but I know that a lot of people don't, and I think it would broaden the appeal to have a proper tileset (and luckily it's not the kind of 'broadening the appeal' that involves gimping game mechanics for pretty graphics). At any rate, I'm throwing together a 20x20 font at the moment just to make the game more visible, since some people have mentioned that they have difficulty making things out.

Thanks for your interest!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 44