Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44

Author Topic: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart  (Read 76212 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart Incoming!
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 07:09:22 pm »

Kickstarter seems like a good idea to me honestly. I would like to essentially pre-order the game a year or two early because I know my money would be going towards development. Just because the game isn't going to be out for a long time doesn't mean kickstarter isn't a good idea. Hell, the goal is actually low for these.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 08:38:35 pm »

Thanks, Rakonas! Anyway, Trollheiming has some points, but I'm not too worried about it; I'm confident Cult will provide a lot of fun. I could make it less ambitious, but I think people will like having a game that will be getting meaningful additions for a long time.  :D To each their own; I think that people will back an idea they find good even if it's a long-term idea (I would - heck, I've donated to DF), especially if they're getting a lot of hours of enjoyment out of it.

Kickstarter still hasn't sent me word yet, so it looks like I may be waiting until tomorrow for launch. Drat.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:40:51 pm by Lord Dullard »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 10:01:23 pm »

You know... I don't think I ask Lord Dullard enough questions especially now that he is actually asking for money now. (well almost)

So... Spirits: Physical, Non-physical, Avatar, or any combination of the three?

Edit addition: Ohh wait... Spirits are actually one of the rewards... so I CAN ask this: What are spirits as far as the cult setting is concerned?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 10:05:21 pm by Neonivek »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 11:03:39 pm »

Damn you!  People had better stop making me buy/donate to things or I'll end up homeless and bearded.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2012, 11:05:03 pm »

Damn you!  People had better stop making me buy/donate to things or I'll end up homeless and bearded.

Ohh no not bearded! Beards totally don't look good on you!

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 11:19:16 pm »

Congrats! I hope it goes well! :D
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 11:43:09 pm »

Ditto, just that I already have the beard...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2012, 11:45:13 pm »

Ditto, just that I already have the beard...

Halfway there.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2012, 12:24:25 am »

Can you be the leader of a religion AND a king?

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2012, 12:29:02 am »

I have another nitpick, general is on both the 25$ and the 50$ tiers.
Shouldn't it be guard captain on the 25$ reward or something?
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2012, 12:34:28 am »

You can be any equivilant or lower.

Though I do not know if you can combine it like that. So I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

It was refering to a Mercinary captain as in someone who owns their own band of mercinaries or runs it.

While the captain of the guard is the leader of a group of guards in one city (and would be a $25 dollar equivilant).

If anything you should question the 35 and 50... Where 35 you can be a POWERFUL creature... and 50 you can be a "Monsterous inhabitant of a dungeon" (so a downgrade). I actually cannot fathom exactly the difference.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:48:41 am by Neonivek »

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2012, 08:49:37 am »

I just wanted to clarify that they CURRENT link is not the official one, once it's up I will update the kickstart link to the finalized version, thanks!
Poysky Productions

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2012, 09:43:54 am »

You know... I don't think I ask Lord Dullard enough questions especially now that he is actually asking for money now. (well almost)

So... Spirits: Physical, Non-physical, Avatar, or any combination of the three?

Edit addition: Ohh wait... Spirits are actually one of the rewards... so I CAN ask this: What are spirits as far as the cult setting is concerned?

Sorry, I had to conk out for the night. Spirits are supernatural beings that are associated with a place (either a very specific place like X Mountain or a generalized type like 'wanders mountains') who embody that area in a metaphorical sense and have some degree of control and influence over it. They're essentially above mortal but below god, being tied to an area. Think of naiads and dryads, but extended to many more concepts than just trees/rivers.

Quote from: maxicaxi

It should - thanks for the spot! Whew, I'm glad I put this draft up instead of just launching it as soon as it got approved.

Quote from: Rakonas

Well, not as a self-insert, no. But if you mean in the actual game as the PC - yes, of course. Since this is a sandbox game, you could do basically whatever you wanted. As well, there will be theocracies (and other civilization entities like tribes that have shaman-leaders) in which it would be natural for both roles to be functionally identical.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 09:48:01 am by Lord Dullard »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2012, 02:31:54 pm »

Yeah, this is totally worth the money. Also, I would say that $5,000 is awfully low to be asking for a game... but then again, it is just a roguelike.

My question: the $10 and other rewards say the estimated delivery is October. Does that mean that's when you estimate the first playable alpha will be out? Or what?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2012, 02:48:11 pm »

Yeah, this is totally worth the money. Also, I would say that $5,000 is awfully low to be asking for a game... but then again, it is just a roguelike.

My question: the $10 and other rewards say the estimated delivery is October. Does that mean that's when you estimate the first playable alpha will be out? Or what?

Correct. By October I expect to have enough major systems in the game for an alpha release, including combat, probably some dungeons, villages, etc., considering that I am coming close to finishing up the basic building system now. It won't be anything close to beta, but it should be playable as a sandbox game on its own.

I'm going to be releasing tech demos before that (including one coming very soon, which will have a functional building system). I'm also considering releasing a 'gimped' (if you will) version of the game for free even after the game is fully playable, which will be limited to the world generator and the building system (and perhaps wild creatures, but no towns or dungeons). It's a way to at least offer a 'taste' of the game without resorting to the 'you can play this for 30 days then you're SOL' thing, which I've always found kind of infuriating, personally.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 02:51:33 pm by Lord Dullard »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 44