Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 44

Author Topic: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart  (Read 76208 times)

Sentientdeth

• Bay Watcher
  • Black Soul Immortal
    • View Profile
    • Sentientdeth's Composition Blog
Re: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart Incoming!
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2012, 05:25:09 pm »

Yeah, this is totally worth the money. Also, I would say that $5,000 is awfully low to be asking for a game... but then again, it is just a roguelike.

My question: the $10 and other rewards say the estimated delivery is October. Does that mean that's when you estimate the first playable alpha will be out? Or what?

Correct. By October I expect to have enough major systems in the game for an alpha release, including combat, probably some dungeons, villages, etc., considering that I am coming close to finishing up the basic building system now. It won't be anything close to beta, but it should be playable as a sandbox game on its own.

I'm going to be releasing tech demos before that (including one coming very soon, which will have a functional building system). I'm also considering releasing a 'gimped' (if you will) version of the game for free even after the game is fully playable, which will be limited to the world generator and the building system (and perhaps wild creatures, but no towns or dungeons). It's a way to at least offer a 'taste' of the game without resorting to the 'you can play this for 30 days then you're SOL' thing, which I've always found kind of infuriating, personally.

I've always felt the same, glad you're considering this!
Dirgeplayer of the Twelve Bays
-The Bard's Guild-

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2012, 06:11:19 pm »

When is the final version of the kickstarter going to be up?  I'm seriously torn between the $25 and the $50 donation tiers.  Before I decide though, could you give an in-depth explanation of how the mercenary captain and general are going to work and differ from each other?

For instance, is the general always tied to a civilization with a monarch, or can he be a free-roaming entity such as a warlord or rebel?  How much larger of a force can he be expected to command, compared to a mercenary captain?  Anything else you can tell us would be appreciated.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2012, 06:19:17 pm »

Okay  guys - Kickstarter is go!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dhagar/cult-awakening-of-the-old-ones

Brotato:
The mercenary captain will never be tied to a civilization (just hired by them, of course). I have no problem switching out the general for a warlord/rebel type of character, with the stipulation that they will not officially 'own' any land (like a kingdom), and if they are located within the boundaries of an established civilization, that civilization will be hostile to them. As for troops, I am just going to say that it will vary, and giving you hard numbers would be absolutely impossible. Different civilizations will have different kinds of army makeups, and for that matter one band of mercenaries might have only fifty men while another has a thousand.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones Kickstart Ready! Link inside!
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2012, 06:19:56 pm »

It just went live!

Updated main link on the OP page as well.

Wish us luck!
Poysky Productions

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2012, 06:38:31 pm »

Okay  guys - Kickstarter is go!

Brotato:
The mercenary captain will never be tied to a civilization (just hired by them, of course). I have no problem switching out the general for a warlord/rebel type of character, with the stipulation that they will not officially 'own' any land (like a kingdom), and if they are located within the boundaries of an established civilization, that civilization will be hostile to them. As for troops, I am just going to say that it will vary, and giving you hard numbers would be absolutely impossible. Different civilizations will have different kinds of army makeups, and for that matter one band of mercenaries might have only fifty men while another has a thousand.

Everytime you talk about this game it makes me a thousand times more excited.  I can't wait to donate and I hope you hit your goal easily.  Now I better starting writing up how I want my character to be like...
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2012, 06:39:51 pm »

I'd love to hear what people chose, or are trying to, as their NPC reward if it isn't supposed to be a surprise.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2012, 06:43:15 pm »

If pledging at the poster level or higher, should the shipping fees be added to the pledge or is that something you can settle afterwards?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2012, 06:49:16 pm »

If pledging at the poster level or higher, should the shipping fees be added to the pledge or is that something you can settle afterwards?

Please add them to the pledge, it'll probably make my life a bit easier. :)

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2012, 06:56:57 pm »

I lack money for the moment, However you can expect $70 from me around friday ish maybe
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2012, 07:03:52 pm »

Damn Kickstarter, you keep hooking me. Dead State hit today too.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2012, 07:15:46 pm »

Does the $10 pledge get you the full game when it's release, or just the Alpha/Beta? Only the $15 pledge mentions the full game. It would be pretty silly to pay to get in the beta then get kicked out when the game is live.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2012, 07:21:34 pm »

How much of the game is historically generated?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2012, 07:38:46 pm »

Ok, got my pledge in! Looking forward to the game!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2012, 08:26:37 pm »

Does the $10 pledge get you the full game when it's release, or just the Alpha/Beta? Only the $15 pledge mentions the full game. It would be pretty silly to pay to get in the beta then get kicked out when the game is live.

Right, sorry; the $10 pledge gets you the alpha versions. The $15 is the beta and full version.

Quote from: Zangi
How much of the game is historically generated?

Well, for now, historical generation is pretty limited (it will expand a lot once I switch dev focus to civs/NPCs, which will be right after the building system and basic combat). By alpha release everything should be historically generated in one way or another. Some things will be generated on-the-fly, with relationships established to previous world history events at the same time; for example, rather than slowing the worldgen process down horribly by generating the entire history of every single village at the same time, each village's history (and consequently the personal and family history and ties of all its inhabitants) will be generated upon first encountering it. Ties that have already been established (i.e., you're in Village X and Bob the Blacksmith mentions his Uncle Fred in Village Y) will just be grandfathered in.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:30:16 pm by Lord Dullard »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2012, 08:38:29 pm »

I'm not knocking anything here, but that's a strange pricing scheme. Alphafunding, seen in games like Minecraft, A Valley Without Wind, Cloudberry Kingdom and more is generally based around paying a discounted price (say, $10 in the former two's case), getting access to the buggy alpha version due to your support and then getting the final product in turn once it's finished (as a sort of "thank you" for playtesting and bug hunting during the alpha).

I've never heard of a dev that sells their alpha and/or beta and then revokes the final product unless you pay again at a later time. Most people who would do that just give the alpha/beta away, making the playtesters who played for free beforehand have to pay once the product is finished. Which, IMO, is reasonable.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 44