Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Anyone play "pure" DF?  (Read 26889 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone play "pure" DF?
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2012, 02:14:23 pm »

Therapist isn't necessary.

It just makes things less tedious by a significant order of magnitude.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2012, 02:19:59 pm »

Any dwarf can go anything. Altyernatively, [v] [g] and look around your dwarves. Shows skills in an easy-to-read menu.
Easily done without therapist.
Come on, somebody please back me up on how therapist isn't necessary.
presuming that this snark was directed at me due to its proximity...

I'll assume that, in english, that was supposed to say "any dwarf can DO anything"  which is true...and, as I said, I RARELY use DT.

While any dwarf CAN do any job...only SKILLED dwarves can do them well or efficiently. 

If I'm having trouble getting an industry going or working well, I typically use the (U)se list and look for that profession.  Usually this works just fine.  Sometimes, however, I discover a need and cannot get the job to activate.  So I go hunting for the reason...materials, workshop, burrows, etc. leading up to "do I have the job enabled on a dwarf" but when you've got 100+ drunken walking beards to sort through, it's a bit daunting...sometimes you don't have any dwarf in the profession with the job at any level of skill.

....and dwarves will show up with the damndest combinations of skills sometimes. 

DT is a good fall back to "make sure I've not missed something" before sticking a dabbling nobody on a task and then waiting two years for them to get decent at it.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2012, 02:20:32 pm »

The closest I come to playing "pure" DF is playing with an ASCII tileset that has square aspect, and with the foods renamed from biscuits, stew and roasts into snack, meal, and feast.

I like to run prospect on a potential site so I know whether there is going to be anything at all to use in my weapon traps.

I like to use DT to manage the skills.

Any dwarf can go anything. Altyernatively, [v] [g] and look around your dwarves. Shows skills in an easy-to-read menu.
DT isn't necessary but it is very, very nice.  Otherwise you have to either keep records by hand or race back and forth amongst two hundred Dwarves keeping track mentally of what each one is good at.  Yes, (v)(g) displays the skills of one Dwarf, and their game-given profession indicates their strongest skill.  But what if your best brewer is concealed by a slightly higher skill in fish dissection?  He'll likely end up as a hauler while some complete novice does the brewing, if you can't see all the skills of all of the Dwarves at one time.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2012, 03:04:53 pm »

I've always played entirely vanilla (no tilesets) until about a week ago.
Then I decided to try and mod dragonmen into the raws. On my first modding attempt ever. Fire and !!FUN!! ensued.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2012, 03:24:53 pm »

-quote-
presuming that this snark
Woah, I wasn't being snarky at all, you sounded like you had the (understandable) idea that labours couldn't be changed ingame, I know I didn't find out for a while (preferences is hardly a very intuitive name for what you're TELLING them to do), I was just trying to clear that up.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2012, 04:28:53 pm »

-quote-
presuming that this snark
Woah, I wasn't being snarky at all, you sounded like you had the (understandable) idea that labours couldn't be changed ingame, I know I didn't find out for a while (preferences is hardly a very intuitive name for what you're TELLING them to do), I was just trying to clear that up.

Apologies then...I misunderstood your tone (ah the wonders of e-communications!).  Sorry 'bout that!  Don't mind me! Carry on!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2012, 04:34:34 pm »

Largely pure, except I remove the dwarves' age flag from the raws.  I don't want them dying of old age, which has happened to some annoying key dwarves in the past.
One of my biggest fortress goals has been and still is to have a Dwarf die from old age.

This was from some annoying bug in the past where liaisons would show up and then die instantly because they were too old.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2012, 02:34:12 am »

I already did, a few pages back.  But in short:

1) If there's a job needs doing, find an idle dwarf and assign them the correct labour
2) Job gets done
3) ???
4) Profit!

Then again, I've never been the type who cries if their legendary armoursmith gets killed and they can't produce megatons of masterwork bucklers.  Just train up a new guy.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 10, 2012, 02:40:19 am »

Maybe ten years from now when we're 16 by 16 embarks with 2000 dwarves as default settings.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2012, 04:11:40 am »

indeed therapist isn't necessary
until migrants

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2012, 04:32:20 am »

I mean how the game is just from the Bay 12 download page. No mods, no tilesets, no therapist, no dfhack, no RAW editing, just pure, vanilla ASCII dwarf action.
I only play with a tileset usually, although I occasionally ASCII.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:34:20 am by zehive »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2012, 05:13:29 am »

Not a chance in hell. Never. Nope. Nuh-uh. I use a tileset, my own color set, more of my own mods than you can shake a pickaxe at, and never generate worlds from default options. I can hardly remember the last time I used DF straight out of the decompressed files for anything but to quickly test something in an older version.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2012, 05:17:14 am »

I've always played entirely vanilla (no tilesets) until about a week ago.
Then I decided to try and mod dragonmen into the raws. On my first modding attempt ever. Fire and !!FUN!! ensued.
My dragon people have a rare caste that has an interaction to allow them to breathe fire for a while. Less flames.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2012, 01:19:06 pm »

Not a chance in hell. Never. Nope. Nuh-uh. I use a tileset, my own color set, more of my own mods than you can shake a pickaxe at, and never generate worlds from default options. I can hardly remember the last time I used DF straight out of the decompressed files for anything but to quickly test something in an older version.

Out of curiosity, got a partial list?

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2012, 01:45:50 pm »

I play pure. I dont even use therapist. tried it once, couldn't be bothered to use it again. its a neat utility, but im fine enough without it.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]