Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Anyone play "pure" DF?  (Read 27100 times)

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone play "pure" DF?
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 12:01:21 pm »

Custom colors, modifying announcements, init and d_init, custom worldgen options...

But other than those, completely vanilla. No mods or dfhack or Therapist or what have you.

Of course, it's debatable about whether or not turning off invasions counts as vanilla... :P
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 12:20:24 pm »

I won't even consider playing the game without Dwarf Therapist, though.  That's just crazy talk.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 12:49:31 pm »

I don't use any sort of mods or tilesets or anything that fundamentally changes what I can do in gameplay.

I won't even consider playing the game without Dwarf Therapist, though.  That's just crazy talk.
Agreement. There's just too many individual dwarves to keep track of without resorting to an organized list.
Oh, and I do have the seasonal autosave enabled via LNP, just in case my ancient laptop decides to go into derp mode after playing the first year or so...
Otherwise, it's plain vanilla DF in all its pseudo-ASCII glory.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:51:57 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 12:57:06 pm »

Everything is pure apart from Therapist.
THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 01:40:53 pm »

I'm nowhere even near vanilla, except for the "no mods".  And that's only because I can't quite figure out modding.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 01:46:53 pm »

I dislike Therapist, it actually makes the game a bit more difficult for me.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 02:06:07 pm »

ASCII here, have DFHack installed, but only use it for bugfixing usually (drybuckets/cleanowned), and visualizer picks. Also use therapist, no mods.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Random Spark

• Bay Watcher
  • Tales of Karma and Strategy
    • View Profile
    • My Art (Deviant Art profile)
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 02:16:42 pm »

Used Therapist at one point.

don't need to any more. i can maintain dwarfs very simply now with mono-tasks.  every dwarf has one or two tasks that every one must do, from there, you are your own person. Farming is a community task, Mining or Wood cutting is a community task. half of them are given mining and stone work, the other half are given carpentry and cutting.

every other task i want done gets done in a timely and efficient manner for some reason now days.

once i hit pop 70 i usually keep a work force of 10 haulers and hauling related tasks. That is all they do. just walk around and carry stuff.

I name them after children's programming so i don't noble them.

I've wanted to draw my own tile pack - mostly because all these pre-made tile sets are too damn flashy. i want simple as vanilla and just a little bit easier to read for my girlfriend. not "Oh wow that wall is so really actually looking like a wall!"
dangit.
I am an artist. I draw, write, and compose.
I am also a smartalek. I am also trying to design a game.

Besserwisser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 02:19:46 pm »

I usually play pure vanilla. Tried a tileset at own point and didn't quite like it. I never tried therapist. Still want to try that Matrix tileset at some point.
DF is about learning from your mistakes, and then making them over and over again... on purpose.

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 02:20:34 pm »

I use tilesets and create custom creatures & civilizations.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 02:22:49 pm »

Except for changes to d_init (for performance reasons) and init (for FPS) as well as using Therapist i play pure.

Simply put: Managing over 100 dwarfs without therapist is impossible.
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 02:38:52 pm »

When newer, un-bugfixed versions come out, I'll just play without any modifications, as I don't see the point when I know it'll be hardly any time before the next release.
Other than that, I usually have a variety of little mods and tools I use. Though I always play with ASCII.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 02:53:09 pm »

I have actually played pure vanilla recently, usually I use therapist.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 03:04:09 pm »

I used to play pure flat out. But I got tired of my dwarves getting killed trying to bring animals inside when they were prefectly safe and well away from the ambushers.

Thus began my mass modding of things. First it was just removing grazers.... I thought "Now elephants and rhinos the elves bring will be useful as more than meat!" Then came adding in new armor and weapons.... then plants and drinks.... Now I'm basically juggling two heavy-duty mods with two other guys.

Don't really care for therapist, and usually I only fiddle with DF Hack to find how far down the caverns are or to start fires when I got bored or wanted some dramtic effect during ambushes. (That last one backfired once. Figured I'd have olm-mounted goblins charging out of the smoke. The goblins had gotten incinerated somewhere in the smoke so just thier olms came out.  :P)

I've not played an unmodded game since.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 04:02:41 pm »

I use a texture pack (because the contrast of default hurrtssss) and therapist, because i like the way it handles jobs and everything. No other mods or changes.

I did learn to play (just basics) without all that, but after a year gametime and 100 population, its too much for me to watch and do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8