Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Anyone play "pure" DF?  (Read 27078 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone play "pure" DF?
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2012, 04:23:01 am »

I don't do it manually either. I use autolabor, which just gives each job that needs doing to the best skilled idle dwarf in that area. No headache, no fuss.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2012, 04:28:16 am »

indeed pure df

nopil3os

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2012, 04:44:50 am »

i play with 1024x600, so using something like therapist would make the game itself unusable (constant alt-tabbing between windows) and consider autolabor cheating. so it'll have to do the way it is.

also: manually managing jobs can lead to funny things like: "has been angered about long patrol duty lately. has been upset about being relieved from duty"
I'd be shocked if dwarves didn't eat the demons they killed. After all, if they're willing to eat a poison spewing monstrosity, why not a flying dinosaur thing that hates all life?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2012, 07:00:11 am »

-Phoebus tileset. Don't play ASCII, i get migraines from the strain of it. Phoebus is easy on the eye.
-Dfhack to fix certain bugs.
-Stonesense
-Soundsense
-Some raw edits.
-Some of my own personal additions (Eric Blank's Trilobite/giant Trilobite/Trilobite man, my Opabinia/Anomalocaris/Anomalocaroman, my civs (zalifen, gluak) that only feature in some worlds)

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2012, 08:02:01 am »

You know rent hasn't been in since 0.31?
Not much point disabling it, seeing as you'll get new inits for whichever version it comes back with.

It's an old habit. :P I've heard it isn't in anymore, but I still do it just because the option's there. Blame OCD or something.

Not only that, I was sort of stating that it's something I WAS disabling while it was in and will still disable when it comes back.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

somebody64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:47 am »

at one point didnt, but do now due to laziness and not downloading new tileset for 2012

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2012, 11:44:54 am »

I tweak init files to do things like set default labours to off, and I use a "faithful" square tileset because anisotropy bothers me. Other than that, vanilla. I suppose I'm most interested in fortress design and optimization than what actually what happens in it.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2012, 12:35:29 pm »

The Therapist, we needs it Precious! Honestly, I think the game is playable without it... But for the love of Armok, why would you do that to yourself?

I also use dfhack - prospect to make sure my embark has the right materials for my megaproject, digv to take the hassle out of mining veins, and tweak to get rid of unslabable ghosts (although I haven't had a problem with that in my latest fort).  I used to use autodump-destroy all the time, but haven't touched it since the hauling and drop rate changes. 

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2012, 01:07:02 pm »

The Therapist, we needs it Precious! Honestly, I think the game is playable without it... But for the love of Armok, why would you do that to yourself?
Does it work in linux yet?  Last time I checked it didn't, so I've been making due without Therapist.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2012, 01:08:49 pm »

So after reading all 7 pages of this thread, I think the sort answer to your question is, no.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 08, 2012, 01:17:48 pm »

Does it work in linux yet?  Last time I checked it didn't, so I've been making due without Therapist.
That bites. Here's hoping that job management gets some in-game UI improvements.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 08, 2012, 01:42:30 pm »

now df hack has autolabor which is fine until a working version of therapist linux

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 08, 2012, 01:56:25 pm »

I only use Dwarf therapist to choose a labor for each dwarf, and after that i don't use it. I don't use anything else.

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 08, 2012, 02:03:12 pm »

I *effectively* play pure.  No tilesets, no mods, no utilities unless I have reached a knot where I need more info (like: "I've just spent (real time) six hours looking for ore underground on my embark and have found nothing besides tetrahedrite...I need DFHACK's prospector to tell me if I'm just whizzing in the wind"  or  "I am having trouble getting this one profession going..do I actually have anyone who can do it???" so I'll pull therapist to look

Since upgrading to .34 from .31, I rarely use therapist or its tools though...I'm fully comfortable with the UI and have no issue modifying preferences or assigning dwarves. 

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2012, 02:09:12 pm »

Any dwarf can go anything. Altyernatively, [v] [g] and look around your dwarves. Shows skills in an easy-to-read menu.
Easily done without therapist.
Come on, somebody please back me up on how therapist isn't necessary.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8