Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I just had a silly idea  (Read 2500 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
I just had a silly idea
« on: September 11, 2013, 01:59:34 pm »

Orbital defense fortresses are well known; you just build it up, then disable cave ins, and remove the support structures.
However, recent science in the forums has me contemplating something purely silly as being theoretically possible.

Recently, a mechanized exploit to create liquids using minecarts was published. This, coupled with the already well known orbital fortess idea, has me envisioning...

the dwarven death star.

Perfectly spherical, it looms in the sky, its blaster port awaiting the signal to open, and destroy the ground below in liquid fire.
Deep inside its core, lies the grand magma reactor, capable of producing magma from nothingness, and a mighty cistern capacitor array ready to be charged and fired.

--and, when I get bored of it--- I can turn the antigravity off, and watch it create an extinction level event as it plows into the earth below!

I may have to do this....

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: I just had a silly idea
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 02:17:52 pm »

DO IT!

Bonus points for firing the cannon as an adventurer, thus flooding the known world with magma and utterly annihilating all your world's life, terrain, and framerate.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

DrTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_RATIONAL_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 02:18:55 pm »

You need to have your oldest dwarf dress in black clothes and a hood, and you also need a dark armored swordsdwarf to be captain of the guard. A recruit swordsdwarf escape the impact to go back to the mountainhome in triumph.
"I'm just so FUCKIN' HAPPY!"
*throws chair across the room*

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 02:31:26 pm »

If I were going to create a Death Star, I'd have a large pressurized magma chamber, with upright bridges for walls at the bottom.

They would be linked to a pressure plate accessible only through a small ventilation shaft...

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:46:05 pm »

Be aware of the ridiculously slow falling rate of magma when choosing the height of your installation.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:59:06 pm »

You need to have your oldest dwarf dress in black clothes and a hood, and you also need a dark armored swordsdwarf to be captain of the guard. A recruit swordsdwarf escape the impact to go back to the mountainhome in triumph.

Whips, not swords. Let's be consistent, here.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 06:14:16 pm »

Perhaps a barrier of floating clear glass raising bridges that need to be lowered in order access the pressure plate?
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 06:37:16 pm »

Circumferential trench + port + enclosed pressureplate + sparklies! + crows/keas/ravens/vultures

== "rebel assault".

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 07:28:43 pm »

To make it trickier and still authentic, you could leave cave-ins on, carve it out with one support tied to a pressure plate with shinies inside the aforementioned trench and tunnel and wait for the kea rebel assault.

Bonus points for trapping a FB in the trash dump chute, and tricking elves rebel scum into the prison and falling down the chute.

Jackboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 11:00:55 pm »

Such an endevour needs to be heavily documented. And then expanded until it creates an extinction level event on the entire generated world. For science.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 12:14:34 am »

It will take more resources and time than I personally can really provide.

Instead, I propose the following:

I will generate a suitable world, with a very long history. (2000 years minimum)
I will use "Embark!" To embark over the top of a VERY well established elven retreat, with a very large embark. We will call this elven site "alderran". It must be mostly good wilderness, with portions on savage wilds.
Surrounding this site, must be many sources of FUN.

I will use DFHack's liquids to spawn a solid sphere of obsidian in the sky, suspended by a 1x1 tile spinnacle of obsidian, off the ground. (I will make this into a flight of up up/down stairs so migrants and workers can get to the sphere.) The sphere must occupy nearly the entire sky, and cover the whole embark.

I will then turn the fortress over to the mad engineers here at bay 12, after establishing a suitable basecamp inside.

It will then enter succession mode, and I will watch.