Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Minecarts are for what? No, really.  (Read 40370 times)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecarts are for what? No, really.
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2012, 04:09:51 am »

Still, lazy players like me really don't have much incentive to use minecarts over wheelbarrows for mining, especially when magma is relatively close to the surface.
If it goes right, it looks awesome.  If it goes wrong, it's hilarous.  What more incentive do you need?

Although I like your idea of wheelbarrows being unable to use stairs and forced to build ramps.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2012, 09:49:40 am »

Although I like your idea of wheelbarrows being unable to use stairs and forced to build ramps.

I don't.  Stairs are easier to set up than ramps, lots can go wrong with ramps.

I've managed to get one set of minecart tracks working in my fort.  It's not bad, but perhaps not that efficient.  However, the fort was started in 34.07 so the main design didn't take minecarts and other hauling changes into consideration either.  So some problems are simply a matter of retrofitting. 

I haven't managed to get any rollers working.  That would require power which adds complexity to the system.  So it's not bad if you're just shipping everything down do the magma sea, but my current embark is a volcano which complicates things.  I've been sticking with wooden carts too, metal ones weigh several hundred pounds, while a featherwood cart is only 4 or 5 pounds.  It takes the dwarves considerably less time to get the wood carts back to the start of the track than heavy metal ones.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

osmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2012, 10:08:55 am »

If you build a spiral, you may as well carve tracks in and use it for minecarts. Wrapping it around stairs is inefficient though, as then the dwarves would have to move around them. Just construct or dig a little 2x2 one next to the staircase. Carts are guided up and down quickly and efficiently, no need for rollers or anything fancy.

I've been sticking with wooden carts too, metal ones weigh several hundred pounds, while a featherwood cart is only 4 or 5 pounds.  It takes the dwarves considerably less time to get the wood carts back to the start of the track than heavy metal ones.
The dwarves shouldn't really need to carry the carts back to the origin. They can just shove it back on the track. If they don't do that, the orders at the destination point probably aren't set up properly.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2012, 10:11:57 am »

The dwarves shouldn't really need to carry the carts back to the origin. They can just shove it back on the track. If they don't do that, the orders at the destination point probably aren't set up properly.
That's only if you have rollers, if you can't (or don't want to) power a bunch of rollers you have a bit of a dilemma getting them uphill. 

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2012, 11:32:43 am »

I like the quantum chute idea, and I think safety could be improved with pressure plates, a hatch, a door, and some water.

Code: [Select]

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓+++++▓▓
¢^+++++┼^
▓▓+++++▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

When the dwarf walks over the pressure plate, it drops water on another plate elsewhere. This opens the hatch and the door, and closes a bridge or hatch on the drop chute. Exiting the room across the other pressure plate drains the water, resetting the room and allowing objects to fall into the stockpile.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2012, 11:42:50 am »

That's only if you have rollers, if you can't (or don't want to) power a bunch of rollers you have a bit of a dilemma getting them uphill.
Dwarves guide carts on tracks uphill just fine for me, and they go pretty quick.  Push and ride won't work without powered rollers though,
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2012, 11:56:43 am »

I don't.  Stairs are easier to set up than ramps, lots can go wrong with ramps.
The only problems I ever had with ramps was when I took this picture on the wiki literally.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Once I realized ramps were just cells that dwarves could step on that let them ascend neighbouring walls. Then I never messed up again.

osmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2012, 11:58:27 am »

No, it's not. My dwarves guide carts uphill just fine. If you have an issue, I suspect it's to do with the ramp and track layout.

clem131

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2012, 04:27:26 am »

No, it's not. My dwarves guide carts uphill just fine. If you have an issue, I suspect it's to do with the ramp and track layout.
I'm confused: the wiki states you need a roller to push a cart up a ramp because the dwarf alone won't make it, rollers need to be powered and that is a plain nightmare if you plan to go, say, from the surface to the magma sea (for some reason my dwarves won't haul sand to the custom stockpile, so I was exploring the minecart option). Once the cart has reached the bottom, how do you get it back up? I thought "guide" means the dwarf sits in the cart and steers it, while "push" means he also provides power for it to move. Isn'it so?
In general, since getting things up is just as useful as getting things down, I think it should be simplified, with animal pulling for example.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2012, 04:37:53 am »

"push" is when a dorf pushes a cart downhill and !!PSYSICS!! do the rest (also "ride", the dorf will go down with it)
"guide" is when a dorf brings the cart around, eg on a completely flat non powered rail

osmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2012, 05:00:42 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The dwarf is your beast of burden. You need rollers to move a car up ramps if it's in 'push' or 'ride' mode. If it's set to 'guide' the dwarf will be pushing it at a constant speed all the way to its destination, while staying behind the cart. Up, down, wherever, it doesn't matter. Also, for moving stuff right to the bottom you might want to explore using a chute. It's bound to be safer than a cart being shoved all the way down and moving at relativistic speed in short order. But having dwarves guide carts is fine, too, and probably safest.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2012, 05:08:28 am »

'Guide' is like walking around the shops with a shopping trolley
'Ride' is like pushing off a bobsled and getting in it
'Push' is like pushing off a bobsled and waving it goodbye

clem131

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2012, 05:39:57 am »

Thanks for the many answers, now I get it.

Dust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2012, 11:21:56 am »

Still, lazy players like me really don't have much incentive to use minecarts over wheelbarrows for mining, especially when magma is relatively close to the surface.
If it goes right, it looks awesome.  If it goes wrong, it's hilarous.  What more incentive do you need?

This. Out of 4 pages of replies this is the only one giving non practical argument for minecarts. Practicality is overrated. Minecarts are fun and also !FUN! Ask yourself as a DF player. What more do you want?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2012, 01:59:13 pm »

This. Out of 4 pages of replies this is the only one giving non practical argument for minecarts. Practicality is overrated. Minecarts are fun and also !FUN! Ask yourself as a DF player. What more do you want?
fun=Fun=√!!Fun!!

So I'd like a bit of it all please. Preferably with the most flammable wine you could stuff within the cart.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10