Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Cado's Magical Journey: A Threetoe Story  (Read 1103537 times)

Where_are_the_gnomes?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cado's Magical Journey: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2011, 02:42:52 am »

For English, in my class we had to do an analysis on a short story, (from anywhere) and I chose "A Terror to Behold"!

A few days after I present it, Threetoe comes out with another story, much longer and more awesome. (Why did I have to do my presentaion early?)

I had to include at least a five minute talk on DF before the analysis, since no one in my class seemed to no what it was. (At least none of them admitted to it.) But now everyone in my class knows about it!

Does anyone know of any fan pages where we can post our own DF-development stories?

Good job Threetoe

btw I'm a junior and I got an A for the presentation: lol.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2011, 05:19:19 am »

Does anyone know of any fan pages where we can post our own DF-development stories?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "DF-development stories". If you mean you wrote some stories in Threetoe's style with an analysis at the end: they could go in Suggestions if you're after discussion about stuff being implemented; they could go in Community Games & Stories if they were inspired more directly from DF; they could go in Creative Projects if they are mostly stand-alone; or they could just go in DF General Discussion. You could also split up the discussion a little by posting the stories in CG&S where they'd usually go, then making an analysis thread in Suggestions with a link to the CG&S thread. If you mean stand-alone sites for DF stories, I think there were a couple other than the wiki, but I didn't look at them much, and don't even remember what they were called.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Where_are_the_gnomes?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2011, 03:29:27 pm »

Thanks Nivm for explaining those locations. Maybe after some editing and consideration I will post them.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2011, 09:13:45 pm »

Having been a bit daunted by the length, I only just read it last night; really great story!

I'm not widely read in fantasy (Tolkien and Erikson are about the scope of what I know) but I find Threetoe's stories very fresh... the characters have clear and often extreme personalities (dictated by their condition in the world itself) which goes a long way towards selling the reality of the world IMO.  Cado's Journey was a good chance to see a range of personalities of the peoples of the world and as a story/blueprint seems like an excellent goal for the "perfect" happy-ending-adventure game.

Also, as others said, the balance required for the magic system seems to be really cool.  There is some huge potential for great gameplay when that makes it into the game.

My favourite story is still, however, the Nation of Man; I'm a sucker for pseudo-historical chronicling and the unforeseen consequences of hero-action.  It was this doubt over the ending of Cado that made it compelling for me.  More long stories in the future?  Hope so!
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2011, 05:00:34 am »

Threetoe should consider writing a book.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2011, 08:07:12 pm »

DF Stories is a pretty cool site for fan stories.
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

Arturo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2011, 09:28:34 pm »

A great and epic tale I was thoroughly entertained.
All intelligent thoughts have already been thought; what is necessary is only to try to think them again.

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2011, 11:52:42 pm »

A great and epic tale I was thoroughly entertained.
Stop it. Necromancy isn't coming until the next patch.

Pipeweeeeed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2012, 08:11:00 pm »

*redacted*
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 06:11:11 pm by Pipeweeeeed »

RoguelikesESP

• Bay Watcher
  • The english is NOT my native language. Sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2013, 12:53:47 pm »

I really enjoy these historys!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]