Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: Watch Dogs, Ubisoft new IP  (Read 62887 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: Watch Dogs, Ubisoft new IP
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 12:04:01 am »

Possible lies/hype detected, skeptic mode activated:
activating wait and see protocol: 3, 2, 1 .....

(certainly looks neat, but I've been hyped too many times)
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 12:37:34 am »

Looks good but it's probably 100% scripted. And knowing Ubisoft they will find a way to screw it up and add terrible DRM on top of that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 12:39:26 am »

Looks good but it's probably 100% scripted. And knowing Ubisoft they will find a way to screw it up and add terrible DRM on top of that.

I don't think it is as scripted as you say it is... I just thing it will be a lot less exciting then it will appear to be.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 01:23:30 am »

I felt sad when that lady died in the car. I need my non-lethal dose.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 01:25:31 am »

I felt sad when that lady died in the car. I need my non-lethal dose.

I have to admit that was a bit odd... I mean usually you play a pretty bad guy... but that is the first time where playing the game right means you outright kill innocent non-cop people.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 01:35:52 am »

The dead innocent bystander (Juxtaposed with rescuing a guy in the car next to her) was part of the reason I mentioned it'd be cool if they explored how fucked up a person would have to be to think he's doing good with this.  They probably won't, but still, it'd be interesting.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but that kind of suggests to me that it wasn't as scripted as some people think.  If they had complete control of the game's events, I doubt they would've let something like that happen so obviously.  I mean, people would've definitely died, he blew up a gas station, but I don't think they would've actually scripted dead civilians right in the foreground.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:38:25 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 01:50:16 am »

The gas station explosion seemed unintentional to me. Fire spread from one of the wrecked cars to the gas pumps.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 02:47:05 am »

Am i the only one who see THAT everywhere in the video?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person_of_Interest_(TV_series)

Seriously??
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 02:52:06 am »

I'm pretty certain every central event in that demo was scripted. Doesn't matter much though, the premise of the game still looks awesome. Will be following.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 02:57:07 am »

I'm pretty certain every central event in that demo was scripted. Doesn't matter much though, the premise of the game still looks awesome. Will be following.

In many ways it is like what exactly would happen if everything Hollywood has ever said about hacking was true.

Well... except that you cannot make people's cellphones explode to kill them.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 03:57:36 am »

Scripted or not, DRM or not, I'm just glad someone is finally making a new IP instead of remake after sequel after reboot after prequel.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 08:03:18 am »

I wouldn't be too surprised if they took a few notes while playing GTA. Looks like they got at least a decent chunk of city there, all that art is expensive to just act as a racing level between a few scripted scenes, no? So it's probably scripted "missions" with a more dynamic city as the backdrop.

Bit worried about the handling of the car though, that is always the make or break for me with these city sandbox games.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 08:05:38 am »

Am I the only one seeing a lot of Assassin's Creed in this, except with less stabbing and more hacking?* Not that it's a bad thing, mind you. In fact, this setting/theme interests me far more than the ancient alien conspiracies from AssCreed.

Also: put me down as not quite believing that it was all non-scripted, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

*Pun most certainly intended
Entropy is not what it used to be.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 08:42:50 am »

I commented to a buddy that it seemed a lot like GTA + AssCreed, or how a present-day AssCreed would play out. I'm pretty sure they've borrowed a lot from the AssCreed team in any case. They'd be stupid not to.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 09:24:15 am »

Most importantly right now: it is new IP that is getting a PC port, praise the maker.

Better yet: that gameplay couldn't run on the PS3/360. Joystiq even made an article about how one of their writers thought that it was going to be released in next-gen consoles because of how good it looked. It's probably the PC version running that.

It's a PC/360/PS3 game though. Just because someone on joystiq wildly speculates doesn't mean he's right.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but that kind of suggests to me that it wasn't as scripted as some people think.  If they had complete control of the game's events, I doubt they would've let something like that happen so obviously.  I mean, people would've definitely died, he blew up a gas station, but I don't think they would've actually scripted dead civilians right in the foreground.

Why? Plenty of games have dead civilians all over the place. It's not something gaming in general shys away from, especially when the game in question is trying to be all bleak and anti-hero like this seems to be.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37