Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37

Author Topic: Watch Dogs, Ubisoft new IP  (Read 62872 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Watch Dogs, Ubisoft new IP
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 09:47:10 am »

Well... except that you cannot make people's cellphones explode to kill them.
Yet.
It's not something gaming in general shys away from, especially when the game in question is trying to be all bleak and anti-hero like this seems to be.
It doesn't seem very bleak or anti-hero to me. It's seriously got the whole Augmented Reality theme going on. Overlaying the invisible digital world with our physical one, so to speak. The digital theme has a really cool aesthetic to it, and the physical one just looks like the real world, not with exaggerated bleakness.

As for anti-hero, vigilante killing isn't necessarily an anti-hero concept. It just usually is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 09:55:09 am »

It would be so awesome if these things weren't scripted (particularly the car crash). I mean, they did something amazing looking once before without excessive scripting - the first Assassin's Creed demo. Although the problem with that was that once people got a hold of it, it turned out everything in the world was pretty much like that demo with little variety.

Still, I'm already more interested in this than AC3. Sort of had enough of the superhero stunts and the guy in the demo doesn't seem like the type who'd run into 20 people and stab them to death effortlessly.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 10:15:11 am »

If it isn't scripted it just means that every time you press that "fuck with the traffic lights" button there's a 50/50 chance that same guy will crash his same car and kill his same wife and you'll be prompted to press X to save him.

It doesn't seem very bleak or anti-hero to me. It's seriously got the whole Augmented Reality theme going on. Overlaying the invisible digital world with our physical one, so to speak. The digital theme has a really cool aesthetic to it, and the physical one just looks like the real world, not with exaggerated bleakness.

As for anti-hero, vigilante killing isn't necessarily an anti-hero concept. It just usually is.

Ok, vigilante killing is almost always an anti-hero concept, except in specific and unusual examples which this most definatly wont be because video game writing.

I mean good guys usually cause 20+ car pileups which kill or maim tens of innocent bystanders and cause thousands of dollars worth of damages because they want to execute an unarmed man. Superman does it all the time.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 10:21:56 am »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this were an Assassin's Creed spinoff. Everything just looks TOO similar to the AC games. I'm  thinking the AC developers didn't originally intend to spend this much time in the past. (5 games now?) But since it's been so profitable, Ubi is keeping the Assassins there for the time being and throwing out a spinoff set in present day/near future to let them start fleshing out things and doing the setting they really wanted to do 2 or 3 games ago.

My guess? The Watch Dogs are a seperate group from the Templars and the Assassins that steps in when things get out of hand between them.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 10:32:57 am »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this were an Assassin's Creed spinoff. Everything just looks TOO similar to the AC games. I'm  thinking the AC developers didn't originally intend to spend this much time in the past. (5 games now?) But since it's been so profitable, Ubi is keeping the Assassins there for the time being and throwing out a spinoff set in present day/near future to let them start fleshing out things and doing the setting they really wanted to do 2 or 3 games ago.

My guess? The Watch Dogs are a seperate group from the Templars and the Assassins that steps in when things get out of hand between them.

This would be awesome. Except the Watch Dogs are the Templars. New World Order through disposable civillians and creative smart phone use!

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 10:42:11 am »

Yeah, Assassin's Creed in a Post-Modern World was my first thought. Looks freaking awesome, and I'll probably get it if they can keep the mood going the entire game. I actually don't mind the DRM stuff too much, so that's a non-issue to me.

The lady wasn't killed in the car crash, I think. She was shot by the guys with the AK's. There was a spatter of blood once the body guards opened fire on the guy's cover, and the passenger started freaking out. The way the main character acted when pulling the guy out doesn't make me think "cop". Hopefully, since it's easier for an audience to relate to a modern character, they'll explore a bit of the effects of causing so many collateral deaths on the character. I got a necessary evil vibe with his attitude during the whole encounter, but I'll just rack that up to him being in kill mode.

Logic break, though: What was he planning on doing without a gun? Beat the guards to death with his baton while they were filling him with lead?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 10:44:35 am »

But then, who watches the Watch Dogs?

Also, I found his character design gave me a strange vibe. Hard to put my finger on it/explain it well. I'll keep thinking on that.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 10:52:53 am »

Logic break, though: What was he planning on doing without a gun? Beat the guards to death with his baton while they were filling him with lead?

He was going to defeat them with the power of Social Media, using his thinkPhone.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 10:55:06 am »

He was going to defeat them with the power of Social Media, using his thinkPhone.

Oh, Hmm, I'm going to have to re-watch the video. I was under the assumption the gun was what the other guy was there to deliver to him. What WAS he dropping off then?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 12:38:08 pm »

Oh God, please let this be GTA: "Now with mobile hacking".

I mean, like GTA, keep it freeform wide-open sandbox, and scripted where missions take place where necessary.

Basically, I want to cause traffic jams and mess with TV screens and such on my downtime; however, I can imagine they'll be taking precautions if they ever allow custom content to be implemented (who didn't feel like hacking all the video displays in the exhibit to be playing something else (memes: annoying or lewd)?).

In case you can switch roles by will between frontman and observer and etc., I wouldn't mind messing with NPCs, and playing a bit of Person of Interest while off-mission.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:40:09 pm by Itnetlolor »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 12:40:55 pm »

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/04/e3-2012-ubisoft-reveals-ctos

Aiden is described as an antihero who can hack into anything at any time. - IGN

Also that preview was on PS3. Takes place in Chicago apparently.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 12:46:55 pm »

Yeah the part where he switch character have me confused. Not sure if the game will have you play several different guys, or if the player is not actually anyone in particular, but some organization or collective.

And I don't see why they would limit custom content unless the game is multiplayer, what you put in there is your responsibility. If they allow custom content at all of course.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 12:56:16 pm »

On Hollywood Hacking:  Smartphones are basically tiny computers with networking now, and any command a computer was programmed to execute (Make light go green now, for example) can just as easily be executed by a hacker, remotely if the computer's networked.  A lot of the stuff here isn't that farfetched.

As for scripting, it shouldn't be that hard to simulate realistic behavior with enough processing power.  Give each NPC a couple stats (It looked like NPCs had randomized occupations and trivia, which could influence or hint at their stats).  A basic one would only need two:

Tension - The danger the NPC believes itself to be in
Morale - How the NPC gauges its ability to survive or overcome the situation, ranging from "Guy in the car in the demo" helpless panic to "I got concealed carry, let's give these turr'ists what fer" impetuousness.

Add in a random element to determine how an individual NPC reacts, based on his stats, and you've got a bunch of NPCs behaving in a semi-realistic fashion, and since most people don't pay much attention to NPCs the simplicity of it probably won't show through a lot.  You could probably add more sliders too to help determine just how the NPC will react.

EDIT:  Did he ever switch characters?  It was always the same guy, though right before he hacked the lights he pulled a mask over his face.

EDITEDIT:  Is there any indication at all about anything regarding custom content?  There's some hints that there might be multiplayer, but they never actually said anything about it.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »

There's some hints that there might be multiplayer, but they never actually said anything about it.
As I understand it, people who were at the demonstration in person have reported that there was multiplayer.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 01:34:51 pm »

Looks pretty sweet. While I never enjoyed the GTA series much, the hacking side of the game looks very interesting. I hope its implemented right.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37