Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: My first fortress!  (Read 10531 times)

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
Re: My first fortress!
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2012, 05:38:06 am »

I doubt you will find iron at this point, boy-o. You bought weapons from humans? Their stuff's a tad too large for dwarves, mind you. Melt them down first.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2012, 05:42:28 am »

I doubt you will find iron at this point, boy-o. You bought weapons from humans? Their stuff's a tad too large for dwarves, mind you. Melt them down first.
That's the point, they're low quality anyway. I just grabbed everything made off better stuff than copper.
I embarked with lots of shallow and deep metals. Is iron usually deeper? This is my first fortress, so I don't know what to expect. I can try to dig around the caverns to get deeper, if iron is usually down there.

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2012, 09:43:23 am »

That's the point, they're low quality anyway. I just grabbed everything made off better stuff than copper.
I embarked with lots of shallow and deep metals. Is iron usually deeper? This is my first fortress, so I don't know what to expect. I can try to dig around the caverns to get deeper, if iron is usually down there.
No, not really. I get hematite and magnetite pretty quickly, but some embarks just don't have iron ores. It happens.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2012, 08:39:25 am »

No, not really. I get hematite and magnetite pretty quickly, but some embarks just don't have iron ores. It happens.
The search continues, more than 60 z-levels down and digged up most parts of the above ones. My aquaeduct [sic] works fine and my hospital has an artifact well now! Also I work on creating an irrigation system for a huge underground arboreum, so the ressource situation is covered.
I got some very talented children, meet Urist DaVince, 2 years old, legendary woodcrafter:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh and I caught a human titan, has he got any other use than as a target dummy?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:55:06 am by Berlioz »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2012, 10:09:52 am »

...A human Titan?

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2012, 10:13:36 am »

Perhaps he means a Bronze Colossus.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2012, 10:17:46 am »

...A human Titan?
No, it was just stupidity. I got a message of something attacking me and caught  a human. Thought it was some special human, but it was just a simple werelizard. Haden't seen a werecreature yet...

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2012, 10:40:36 am »

Did it bite anyone?

Because if it did, you could make an elite squad of berserking werelizards to unleash on your foes.

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2012, 10:43:19 am »

Did it bite anyone?

Because if it did, you could make an elite squad of berserking werelizards to unleash on your foes.
Nah, it ran right into my traps. Stupid werelizard. But if it can regenerate I have an excellent new archery target!
But  I got another question: Who gathers ripe crop from my fields? Because they just let it rot, do I have to appoint someone to pick it up? Got lots of people with hauling enabling and just idling around, cannot be that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2012, 10:46:56 am »

Nah, it ran right into my traps. Stupid werelizard. But if it can regenerate I have an excellent new archery target!
Bad, bad archery target. Prone to dying when not in lizard form. I would say though, the were-lizard would make an excellent executioner.

As for the farming issue, what are your work (o)rders?

Berlioz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2012, 11:22:49 am »

Bad, bad archery target. Prone to dying when not in lizard form. I would say though, the were-lizard would make an excellent executioner.

As for the farming issue, what are your work (o)rders?
Oh okay, executioner sounds fun though. I had planned a magma pit, but this could work, too. Lets you recover remains.
Workorders are harvest all, gather all, everything all.

Edit: Here is a screenshot with the layout, orders and idlers:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:28:59 am by Berlioz »

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2012, 12:59:30 pm »

Workorders are harvest all, gather all, everything all.

Edit: Here is a screenshot with the layout, orders and idlers:

If you have all dwarves gather food, then anyone with a spare moment should be picking it.  Including kids, which is about the only useful thing they do.  It looks like a food stockpile right next to your farms, but make sure it's not set up to disallow your crops.  If it's not a food stockpile (maybe you set it to only drinks, or seeds, or barrels...) make sure you have one.  Do you have burrows set up that exclude the farms?  Are you getting any job cancellation messages? 

With the recent hauling changes, dwarves will go pick up a food barrel, take it to the farms and put the food directly in the barrel, then bring the barrel back to the stockpile.  If you have no free barrels, this may be a bug or a feature.   Get your Stonecrafter cranking out stone pots on repeat, and tell your brewer to brew drinks on repeat.  If you start to see dwarves picking up barrels and gathering crops, that is probably what's going on.

Otherwise, dunno. 
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2012, 07:09:58 pm »

Yeah, they do all that on repeat. Once it gets going, you will eventually end up with a metric crapload of food like me, nothing to even do with it. I'm just pawning lavish meals off on merchants. Beware of running out of drinks though, They drink a lot of the stuff and if things freeze in the winter... well... Thats how I had my first tantrum spiral. Bodies EVERYWHERE. I was so scared and confused *shivers*. It's impressive how quickly dwarves turn on each other,
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:16:43 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]