Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lots and lots of zombies  (Read 4120 times)

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lots and lots of zombies
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 02:35:09 pm »

Reply to above post is spoilered due to size of post.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So I got bored and decided to build a ridiculously silly trap for catching this necromancer. I pretty much used this post as my note pad, so I've spoilered all the now-useless (or partly out-dated) information.

This spoilered bit is more notes I wrote to use for designing this trap, like the diagrams below I left it in as a ROUGH idea on how I set it up. Irrelevant now since I went and created it in the game itself, but should tell you what the symbols are if you don't use this texture pack. Go by the pictures I took instead of this information, it's "very outdated".

First trial of idea, left it in just in case it could be useful somehow. (End result of mine makes this outdated though)

Rest of the work should be evident in the screenshots I'm posting, I've written this out half for my own benefit while coming up with it (Haven't worked out how to prevent the dwarf ending up in the trap as well unless he is fast enough, maybe if you pause-unpause constantly? Might not be worth risk, get a useless guy to do it)

Here are screen shots of it (generated a fresh world to demonstrate it):
Surface (necromancer's square would be on the tile that has been channeled out and shows as the brown downwards triangle in the obviously mined out square)

Level directly below necromancer (the upward triangle is directly below the necromancer's original location, and is what it should look like after you have built the ramp under his feet. Obviously it's empty at this point.)

Next level down ( the I is the support, and I've built walls in the spaces between the statues)

The end result is that you have a necromancer confined in a 1x1 square with easily removable statues blocking him. Cage traps mean that you can safely dig the ramp beneath the necromancer without risking a security breach, and if he steps on those then there's no problem. Door setup means if zombies do follow you down, you can just lock one to prevent them getting further in before you manage to get a wall up. Burrow the miner on one of the cage traps, then lock the door behind him. Multiple door setups mean that in the worst case scenario, you can lock the necromancer in the tunnel and fill him with bolts, although since they don't have trap avoid I don't see him getting out of the cage trap area any time soon. Regardless, an execution chamber exists with fortifications for marksdwarves and you could also put a bridge between the doors linked to a lever if you wish, then you could just set the bridge to raise/lower repeatedly and kill anything that steps onto it (but we don't want to lose our dear necromancer so easily do we?)

As I've said above, the device is currently shown as if you had dug beneath the necromancer already, but not set off the small-scale cave in which would deposit the necromancer neatly trapped in the 1x1 statue room. Yes, I'm aware this is idiotically over-complicated and only works on a target that stands still. That's the point. The bigger and more pointless it is, the more satisfying it is when it works =) Ideally the necromancer should be standing still since he has nowhere to path, and you will have waited until he finished raising any corpses in the area. Best part of this is you can set it up without any access to the outside world (the whole point of it to be honest), and please don't point it out, I'm aware that the layer with the traps looks like a giant key =P. Funny how things turn out sometimes, considering this is to lock up a necromancer aha.

Last but not least, good night. I have to get up in four hours roughly (curse my curiosity regarding this device!) so I'll probably reply in the morning at some point. Might put this in it's own thread if it is amusing enough, I don't know. I just find the idea of caving in the ground beneath his (the necromancers) feet like this hilarious.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 02:35:30 pm »

I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull. They haven't become any weaker since then.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 03:01:43 pm »

I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull. They haven't become any weaker since then.
Thats right up there with the troll beating a dwarf to death with the dwarf's own sock.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 03:25:35 pm »

A captured necromancer is a wonder to military training. Lock him in a room similar to a silk farm, with fortifications and drawbridges. put some corpses at the other side and let the necro raise them while your soldier kill them, over and over. when the training sesions are over, close the sight line with the dawnbridges.
Is a wonderful sistem of training. not only it trains skills, being constantly atacked by dead will make your soldiers sociopaths that don't car
about anything anymore. Just be sure to check their moral regularly until they reach that point.

I am currently going with a fortress in an evil , zombie spawning biome. i have magma  to dispose the bodies, but i don't use it all the tame.
Instead, i have some corpses in my barracks, conyianually resurrecting and being killed by my men. (the corpses of all my dogs, who died
in a quite Fun zombie outbreak. They are my undead mascots)
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 03:40:41 pm »

One of the fun parts of necromancer sieges is the false sense of security they lull you into at first. It's like, "Oh, 5 shambling elf corpses that don't even resurrect... that seriously it?"

Then on the next one you get 50, but it's still not much of a problem, since no necromancer has arrived yet. A couple of those later, and the necromancer shows up, immediately raising the 150 zombies lying on the surface, plus the 100 he brought, plus the 4 goblin sieges worth of corpses. Getting giddy just thinking about all that fun, like sumptuous oatmeal dripping off a radiator.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 03:48:43 pm »

In evil biomes/necromancer neighboorhoods, is a good idea to fill the map with magma/drawbridge disposal sites - the more the better, all
around the map, to destroy the corpses quickly. And to lure the zombies inside, in manageable groups of 20 or so, to kill them.

Edit: very nice trap. Kudos to you.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 03:58:00 pm by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »

Alright guys, the problem has been cleared out. I have 100 deaths on my list now.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 12:25:08 am »

In evil biomes/necromancer neighboorhoods, is a good idea to fill the map with magma/drawbridge disposal sites - the more the better, all
around the map, to destroy the corpses quickly. And to lure the zombies inside, in manageable groups of 20 or so, to kill them.

Edit: very nice trap. Kudos to you.

Thanks. I went through several revisions as you can see, so it actually turned out trickier than I thought. The end result means you could use this for ANY situation where you have a dangerous (or interesting) enemy stuck on a single spot, such as trapped between two doors, stuck at an entrance, etc. With slight modifications you could use this for megabeasts but you MIGHT have to sacrifice a dwarf since I have yet to test it. You would have to remove the statues (building destroyers of course), and since cage traps don't work on them you would just have to change it to look like the following:
Layer below megabeast etc:

Containment layer:
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30
Pages: 1 [2]